Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinning reel line twist - do I give up?

I know to put the line on the reel the same way it comes off the spool. I don't over fill the spool. After that I let the line out from the boat into the water and let the line free float with me trolling to get whatever demons it has in it out. I use a barrel swivel for lures.

I can cast for 30 minutes or so and still out of the blue get a line cluster. I am using Trilene Big Game 6 or 8 lb and not any floro or braid.

I've tried on multiple occasions and now just put them back in the garage corner rod rack. Got nothing but bait caster combos in my boat.

What is the secret to not getting line twist?

2. Fishing is a Passion
    Use a braid with a leader.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Always lift the rod to remove any loose slack line after making a cast and close the bail by hand, never with the real handle. When you start to get twist in your line remove your lure and let out line behind the boat while under power not just with the trolling motor. After you let out at least 2 or 3 casts worth of line close the bail and let the boat drag the line for awhile, it will feel like you're hooked to something big as you wind in your line against the pressure. You will have no twist for awhile until you have to repeat the process.

4. Member
    Big game on a spinning rod is just asking for line twist. If you’re going to stick with mono, stay with something that’s soft like Trilene XL. It won’t eliminate all the twist but it will help a lot.

if you want the best managing spinning line, then use braid.

For what it’s worth, the only spinning reel I have mono on is my stream trout rod. Everything else has braid to floro.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Manually flip the bail closed and take the slack out before reeling. It really does help. The best way is to use braid with a leader (FG knot please).

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

use braid with a leader

7. Member
    All of the above and use a bigger spool, quality reel.

dont reel when drag is being pulled
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    Switch to Trilene XL. Extra limp. And use line conditioner

Your mono has memory, to get it out take and tie it down or on a snag take (with cheap hooks) and let line out and pull it either use your rod or hand and pull. Stretch it out someway.

11. Member
    Just like a couple guys has said above, when throwing a spinning rod, you have to go braid to leader. You’re going to continue to fight line twists and have line management issues as long as you stay straight fluoro or straight mono

12. Member
    I have one reel that does this no matter what. I retired it and no longer have an issue. I tried everything the original op tried and finally gave up on the reel and never looked back.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish365 View Post
    I have one reel that does this no matter what. I retired it and no longer have an issue. I tried everything the original op tried and finally gave up on the reel and never looked back.
    What brand and model did you retire? Did you just quit using spinning gear?

14. Member
    If using lighter line 4-8# I prefer Trilene XL, much more manageable and very durable. Above that I only use braid to leader.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

15. Member
    I like Berkley products but I don't consider Big Game a good line.

A good line is "What's a girl like you doing in a place like this"?

Unless you're casting 1000 times a day you shouldn't need a swivel.

A lot of line issues on spinning reels come from not having enough tension as you reel it in. Holding the line between your rod hand thumb and forefinger as you reel in can apply tension when needed.

16. Member
    I had the same issue with line springing off spinning reels. That is till i found the Piscifun Line spooler. Now this item is China made but there are knock-offs that is what I have and since using this tool NEVER have had the issue with line springing off the spinning reel. Its principle is to spin the line spool at the same speed as the bail arm of the spinning reel moves. It works great.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    What brand and model did you retire? Did you just quit using spinning gear?
    This was a slightly older Spirex. Use mostly Lew's and Abu's when I throw spinning gear.

18. Member
    Would add that I throw braid to leader also.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Big game on a spinning rod is just asking for line twist. If you’re going to stick with mono, stay with something that’s soft like Trilene XL. It won’t eliminate all the twist but it will help a lot.

if you want the best managing spinning line, then use braid.

For what it’s worth, the only spinning reel I have mono on is my stream trout rod. Everything else has braid to floro.
    +1, Big Game is good line but it is not made for spinning reels, either use a mono. that is more limp or use braid with a leader.

20. Member
    With a spinning reel I put the shaft where it connects to the rod between my middle and ring finger on my casting hand. Cast. Then close the nail with my reeling hand. When I start my retrieval I stick my index finger on my rod hand out pointing it slightly to the tip as the line comes in it contacts that finger causing just enough tension to wind it up snuggly on the spool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast