Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Fishing is a Passion
    What are some of the braids recommended
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    What are some of the braids recommended
    I've used several but find myself going back to power pro super slick. Berkley Nanofil is really good too.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

3. Member
    Lots of good options out there. I’ve tried a lot of different kinds (power pro, Gen 1 super slick, 832, berkley x5, grand slam, spider wire, fireline, Gliss, etc)

I now have regular power pro on all of my reels. Gen 1 super slick was so bad I won’t even give it another chance. Farthest casting braid I’ve ever used was Ardent Gliss. Just hard to beat regular power pro for the price.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Fishing is a Passion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I've used several but find myself going back to power pro super slick. Berkley Nanofil is really good too.
    I asked because they do not make Nanofil any more
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    I asked because they do not make Nanofil any more
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berk...page-BJLX.html
    I think this took it's place
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    x5 is more like power pro. It’s not like Nanofil; x9 would be more of a comparison For berkley but still not the same.

Gliss is the only line closest to Nanofil that I’ve seen
    1995 Ranger 481v

Gliss is definitely closest to Nanofil. 24 lb to avoid issues with fraying--it's still insanely thin. The biggest mistake Ardent made that stopped that stuff from taking off was giving it lb test ratings it like they did. People buy the lighter stuff as those are the ratings they're used to, then give up on Gliss because it frays. What isn't apparent to most is just how thin those lighter lb tests are, and if you had any other braid that was that thin, it'd fray too.

X9 is good stuff, but different than Nanofil. It's also about twice as thick as the diameters they list, so keep that in mind if you decide to try it. I bought based on my normal diameters and the reel that had it looked like it was spooled with something I'd throw a frog on.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

8. Member
    Is Gliss as touchy as Nanofil when if comes to knots?

I fought this for years, especially with Maxima Line. I even used to tie on a hook and stick it in a post then walk off 20-30 yrds and pull and stretch it before going fishing each time. Helped some, but not great. Then I bought a line winder that I could load the spool directly off of the line filler. That was better, but still got some line twist. Next came using Braid with a leader ! TADAA !! Best thing I ever did. I use Power Pro 10-15# with YoZuri Top Knot Fluorocarbon 6-12# and 90% of the time have no twist. I will get some when I drop shot, but no where near what i used to get !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Is Gliss as touchy as Nanofil when if comes to knots?
    Yes, at least in regard to worrying about it slipping. It’s super, super slick so you have to be mindful of that. But it works with your normal leader knots…the FG would probably require more wraps than with “normal” braid, though I don’t use the FG on spinning setups very often because I don’t feel I can yank on it hard enough to seat the knot unless I’ve got a heavier leader.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    I am so surprised how many people (even pros) got spinning reels wrong. Spinning reels, BY NATURE, twists line as it spools it on. Done correctly, that same twist is equally UNTWISTED when it spools off. Trying to spool a reel by letting the line off the fill spool from the side (label side or non label side) does NOT work. Line is twisting anytime it comes of a spool from a side (non spindled). People incorrectly think that if it came of spool counterclockwise and got wound clockwise, the twist would be equalized. It does, BUT now the line is “straight” on the spool, and will simple twist again when it is casted (coming off the spool sideways again).

Think about it - I bet the best thing that works for most people is when they drag the line behind the boat to untwist the twist, then wind the line back. That line being dragged is STRAIGHT. It twisted when winding on the spool, but that exact twist is untwisted (one for one) when cast. The CORRECT way to spool a spinning reel is to wind it on with the spool on a spindle. YES, just like a bait caster. That’s is straight line being wound on, twisted as it spools on the reel from the side, then equally untwisted when casted back out again. This is the trick - after spooling, the line from the roller bearing out is twisted. Pinch and hold that line, cut your line, then let that twist from the spool bearing to the line end untwist. Pull line off your spool and I bet you’ll find it to be untwisted. Also do NOT pinch your line with your fingers while spooling. That creates uncontrolled twist. Tension should be on the spool, and let the line roller do its thing.

Final note - Big Game is the WRONG line for spinning reels. It has too much memory. Try P-Line Flouroclear if you want to stick to straight mono. Otherwise, braid “hides” twists best and you’d never know your line is twisted, even if it is. Limp braids work best, I personally use Sunline SX1.

12. Member
    deleted
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 12-10-2023 at 10:50 AM.

13. Member
    I always fill the reel same as a casting reel...roll it off. Always close the bail by hand. Always have my index finger out so the line is ticking it while reeling in. Always keep my drag very tight until needed. A 2 or 3lb bass doesn't need to pull drag on 8 or 10lb line. I use both braid and full spools of 8/10lb fluorocarbon on spinning reels...and never have issues with the FC. I'll have a mess with the braid once or twice a year...can't prevent it.

I have been using Trilene XT for a long time, XL just has too much stretch. When filling the reel make sure it comes off the spool counter clockwise. Ike has an excellent video on how to fill a spinning reel with line.

15. Member
    This is how I am going to spool up every spinning reel for as long as I have a power wrapper for rod building. I've also designed and 3D printed a "chuck" that I can attach to a drill and spool up in a similar fashion. For years I have been running over to my local tackle shop, Thorne Bros, and having them spool all of my spinning reels on their professional spooling station. I figured out a way to do it at home so when they are closed I can do it myself.

16. Member

Thats the best way to do it!

17. Member
    That CRB wrapper is a good idea. Basically converts it into the machine which we used at Ganger Mountain to spool peoples reels for them. I’ve seen quite a few contraptions that people have made that essentially do the same thing. I wish I bought it when they were closing.

I use a berkley rod spooling station with good results. I’ve also placed the line in a very warm bucket of water which cut down on line twist.
    1995 Ranger 481v

18. Member
    i used to throw 10lb suffix mono before braid became the way to go.. i didnt have a lot of issues with line twist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12