General navigation question about Lake Hamilton

Having our 25th anniversary this year and the wife is in agreement that we can fish!
    We are planning the trip to fish for a week this year.
    First time fishing Arkansas......going to hit Hamilton, Ouachita, and maybe a couple of others.

I'm always a little concerned the first few times I am on a new lake.
    If I stay in the channel as marked by Navionics, would I be safe to run on plane?
    Mainly thinking about the flooded timber I see on Northern end?
    Or if anyone has verifed safe trails they would be willing to share.....would be good too.

I know it's not like Toledo Bend but I have had friends that came into contact with flooded timber at a pretty good clip, that did end in their favor.
    Luckily no deaths....but some almost deaths.

Thanks in Advance,
    Chris
    Last edited by BassnChris; 04-26-2023 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

2. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Hamilton is pretty safe; boat traffic is going to be your biggest worry. There are a few humps, but they are on most map cards.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

depending upon time of year. Oct-Feb the lake is drawn down around 4ft so that makes some humps and points shallower than a map card will show so I see guys hitting more obstructions during that time. March-Sept its pretty safe as long as you have some type of map card to show you where its shallow at, but channel is clear and pretty easy to navigate. If you are going in summer on Hamilton I would plan to be off by 10am or wait until 5-6pm before you go, 10am-5pm and its like trying to run/fish the ocean with the waves from the ski boat traffic.

Ouachita does have quite a bit of standing timber but it is marked well on most map cards. Main lake has a few humps and high spots under water but is open for the vast majority. It has several islands that make great places to pull up and get out to swim and enjoy the day. Once you get back into the creek arms you will start to find some standing timber so pay attention to map cards and you'll be good.
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

4. Member
    We're planning on 3rd week of September.
    I am an early out early back.
    Thank you, I appreciate the information.
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

5. Member
    If you have any kind of lake map, you'll be fine. Even if you don't, you'd really have to try to screw up over there. Now, if you're running the creeks/river then you need to be somewhat cautious. But the lake itself is pretty much safe.