Drop Hitch Not Low Enough

I had some issues today with trailer brakes at the launch. It reversed fine first time, then made an adjustment and brakes locked. It was very busy so I just drug it out of the way 50 feet or so and went to put in the lockout pin. I could not get it to free up and slide all the way forward. So I unhooked from truck and rocked and worked it until it went forward the last 1/4 inch then I got the pin in. I am about to head out and verify the solenoid and wiring to make sure all is good. I have voltage at plug for reverse and trailer lights repeatedly so I know its not the plug or harness. But the other thing is I know my drop hitch is not quite as low as I'd like. It;s not awful but it should be sitting down another 2-3 inches. Could that angle cause it to be rubbing internally and sticking/binding? It was just a thought and I cant seem to search up an answer, so here I am. I will add a pic but I don't know if that will help or not. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. Its a 2018 trailer btw, never an issue before this with old truck, but this one sits 2" higher and i'm still using same hitch.

Update: So went out and check wiring and everything seems to be working properly. Solenoid is activating and I have good voltage. Not on truck everything is working right now. Measured ball height and top of ball is 22" So I guess i'm only about 2 inches to high, not sure if that's enough to cause an issue or not? Going to order a new drop hitch regardless. Also I have bags on my truck, so it does not drop at all when boat is hooked up (no sag). So maybe I should go a little more drop?

2nd update: Still finding nothing wrong with electric end of this. Will probably disassemble everything tomorrow and try and physically see if there is any binding issue. Also ordered a drop hitch that will properly work for my truck and I can get to that 17" happy spot. Still open to any and all thoughts or something maybe I over looked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 99R93S; 04-26-2023 at 08:40 PM.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Sounds like a mechanical problem in the tongue. The actuator should easily slide forward when the truck pulls the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I think the drop hitch you ordered will likely solve your problem.

Your picture shows front of trailer well above level. The braking mechanism should move back and forth freely when tongue is level.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    I get a feeling it will have been the cause of the issue as well. Stupid mistake. Even unhooked it was stuck pretty good yesterday though so I am hoping nothing got damaged. I plan to remove the actuator assembly and make sure nothing is damaged. Clean it and lube anything as needed and go from there if it looks okay. New brake fluid and bleed as well as fluid is now 5 years old.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I get a feeling it will have been the cause of the issue as well. Stupid mistake. Even unhooked it was stuck pretty good yesterday though so I am hoping nothing got damaged. I plan to remove the actuator assembly and make sure nothing is damaged. Clean it and lube anything as needed and go from there if it looks okay. New brake fluid and bleed as well as fluid is now 5 years old.
    Hitch has nothing to do with it. The physics barely changes for the tongue several inches out of level.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Hitch has nothing to do with it. The physics barely changes for the tongue several inches out of level.
    Good to know. I assume then having proper height only has to do with how the trailer pulls, less sway, things like that.

I didn't have time tonight to take it apart, so back to the drawing board of assuming the actuator failed, but why.

The reverse lights open a bypass valve in the brake line to release pressure. Doesn’t matter where the hitch or slide is positioned .Sounds like the solenoid or return line is plugged
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Good to know. I assume then having proper height only has to do with how the trailer pulls, less sway, things like that.

I didn't have time tonight to take it apart, so back to the drawing board of assuming the actuator failed, but why.
    It really doesn’t affect much of anything having the tongue a few inches high or low.

Your actuator has plastic wear plates between itself and the inside of the tongue. Binding in that gap from rust or a dented tongue could cause the problem you are having.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    The reverse lights open a bypass valve in the brake line to release pressure. Doesn’t matter where the hitch or slide is positioned .Sounds like the solenoid or return line is plugged
    I don't think so. The back up lights energize a solenoid blocking the line so no hydraulic pressure can get to the brakes.

10. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Keep us posted on this one.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

11. Member
    That I will. Will likely get into it Wed on my day off. Busy with work and it’s been cold as hell anyhow.

12. Member
    That I will. Will likely get into it Wed on my day off. Busy with work and it’s been cold as hell anyhow.
    Be sure and let us know. Thanks

13. Member
    Okay so to update I kind of started from scratch again with the basics and today the solenoid acted up, no clicks. Verified power, so appears the the solenoid while working after I got home the other day is intermittent. So going to get a solenoid and go from there.

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Okay so to update I kind of started from scratch again with the basics and today the solenoid acted up, no clicks. Verified power, so appears the the solenoid while working after I got home the other day is intermittent. So going to get a solenoid and go from there.
    Before you replace the solenoid, try running a ground jumper from the point where the white wire connects to the trailer tongue to the screw on the solenoid. The solenoid is on the actuator and often doesn’t have a good electrical connection to the trailer frame.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Before you replace the solenoid, try running a ground jumper from the point where the white wire connects to the trailer tongue to the screw on the solenoid. The solenoid is on the actuator and often doesn’t have a good electrical connection to the trailer frame.
    I will absolutely give that a try, thank you. It’s up under there tucked away pretty good so I may have to remove the assembly. But if so I can still then “bench” test the solenoid before I give up on it. I called the dealer to see if they had one and the guy told me they can loosen up or get a bit dislodged from the mount.

And thank you Catfan for all the help, it’s appreciated. This is not my area of expertise, so I always appreciate learning and good advice. That goes to others that have contributed as well of course.