Clarification Please : engine height

2021 PT190TX, 90HP

Regarding setting height of the engine. My engine is at its lowest position. 3 blade mercury aluminum prop.

I have measure prop to pad at about 6”.

People say 3 blade should be 2nd hole from top, 4 blade should be 3rd hole from top.

So, the question is……

if I move it up 1 hole, is that considered 2nd from the top?
    Last edited by psc; 04-26-2023 at 08:48 PM.

2. Member
    What boat and motor do you have?

3. Member
    Put in original. I am more looking for a consensus. 2nd hole from the top, 3rd hole from the top, is a bit ambiguous.

lowest position, top hole.
    - Is that first hole from the top?
    - Is that 0th hole from the top?

more looking for clarification on this terminology

4. Member
    If it is a mercury then it is has 5 holes. Mounted in the top hole would be lowest, 2nd hole from the top would be higher, 3rd hole would be higher than that. What prop and speed are you getting out of it now?

5. Member
    Thanks for replies, but that’s not what I am asking, I know higher from lower :)

I see people say , 3 blade prop, use 2nd hole from top. 4 blade prop, use 3rd hole from top.

maybe this will help, if I am on top hole, lowest position, when people say 2nd hole from the top do they generally mean move motor UP one hole or two holes?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psc View Post
    Thanks for replies, but that’s not what I am asking, I know higher from lower :)

I see people say , 3 blade prop, use 2nd hole from top. 4 blade prop, use 3rd hole from top.

maybe this will help, if I am on top hole, lowest position, when people say 2nd hole from the top do they generally mean move motor UP one hole or two holes?
    2nd hole from the top would be up one hole, 3rd hole would be the middle hole.

7. #FRB
    If it were me I'd call the local dealer and ask them which hole the motor is usually mounted in from the factory. Also, keep in mind the Tracker hulls are very trim sensitive especially with the stock Black Max prop. Just not much grip built in for lift but it will still get you down the lake so it serves its purpose according the Tracker.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

If you are rocking the aluminum Blackmax prop then I would stick to the second hole. If you get a stainless prop then I would be more inclined to tell you that you now have the ability to play around a little bit and give mounting up on the third hole a shot.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

9. Member
    Thanks for replies. Will move up 1 and try it out.
    I am more looking for efficiency than top end.
    it gets going just fine for these small so cal lakes.

just wanted to double check my understanding.

I doubt I will go with 4 blade until a RUD* occurs on my current 3 blade.

*Thanks to spacex for this fantastic new acronym.

10. Member
    A 4 blade aluminum or SS Spitfire would be more effcient than the Black Max. I had a 3 blade Black Max (19 p) on my boat (Lund 1625 with a 75 Optimax) and was having blow-out on turns, second hole from the top and 38-39 mph @ wot (5200-5400 rpm), replaced it with an 4 blade aluminum Spitfire (19p). Holeshot was improved but lost 1-3 mph @wot. Never moved the engine up or down, rather have holeshot than top speed and the boat handles way better now.

11. Member
    Efficiency and tin props are an oxymoron. With that boat, weight, and 90hp engine, I'd go with the Spitfire X7. Unless you have a CT motor, your gears are 2.07, so a 17" would probably be the ticket. I'm running a 19, turning 5500 WOT at hole #3 with my Opti 115 ProXS.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver