Engine shut down

Yesterday I was going across the lake around 60mph and without any notice my SHO 225 just shutdown like you turned the key off or pulled the kill switch. The engine started back up and ran fine the rest of the way to the boat ramp. My lithium battery showed on the app to still have 81% and I checked the cables at the battery and they were all fine. Just looking for any other ideas as to why the engine just shutdown.

Thanks
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

2. Member
    A loose battery cable connect at the engine is often a culprit (especially ground wire). Worth checking....
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    A loose battery cable connect at the engine is often a culprit (especially ground wire). Worth checking....
    Thanks. I checked the cables connecting to the battery itself and those are fine. All of them are tight and no damage to the cables. Are there other cables going into the cowling that need to be checked?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Thanks. I checked the cables connecting to the battery itself and those are fine. All of them are tight and no damage to the cables. Are there other cables going into the cowling that need to be checked?
    Yes, that main battery cable where it bolts to engine, stbd side above throttle and shift cables. Needs to be very tight and clean.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    I have the same problem, here is what I found out. My lithium is going into over voltage over protect mode. (zero output voltage). When WOT and the battery reaches 100% charge it quits taking a charge. The alternator is still pumping out the voltage so there is a spike in voltage for only a split second which is enough to trigger then protection. The battery immediately returns back to normal state which allows the motor to start. My battery MFG is tuning the circuit board to allow for this slight spike. I will be testing the new update this weekend to see if that is actually the issue. I never had this problem until I installed then lithium.

6. Member
    The same thing happened to me this past weekend. The motor just shut off while running 5000rpms.

You guys should mention what brand Lithiums you are having issues with for cranking use - Several of the more reputable companies have dual purpose lithium batteries that are designed for cranking use, ie Ionic, Lithium Pros, Impulse, etc to name a few. Other companies ie off brands, Amazon brands, etc don't have BMS suitable for starting/charging from motor, etc. But if it's one designed/advertised for starting use, would be beneficial for all to know if they are having issues.

Yes. I am too looking at a Lithium for cranking on my SHO soon. Please post brands that are shutting down the engine and if you run a lithium crank without issues on a Yamaha, post the brand.

I, along with many others are running the Ionic 125 Marine Cranking Battery on my SHO with no issues...

Ionic 125 Lithium at Drewcraft Marine

10. Member
    I use Impulse Lithium 120AH for cranking and running all my stuff. I have a 250 SHO. Not a single issue, flawless!

11. Member
    An update on my situation. First, I'm using the Ionic 125A batter and have been since last February. Since I first reported the issue the engine has not shutdown while driving however last weekend I went to start the engine after fishing an area and when I turned the key nothing happened. I tried several times, checked the kill switch (which I never use), checked to see if the engine was not in gear and battery level, which was over 90% charged. I had power to everything in the boat and things like my blinker trim would work. I've checked all my battery cables and cables under the cowl and I don't find anything unusual. So, I believe I can rule out the battery and I now think I have a bad ignition or kill switch or some other issue. My 2 year old boat has many other issues and I'm working on my dealer to get them to work with Skeeter to take it back to them to fix everything. Then when possible I'm going to sell it and get a new one as I believe mine has to many issues to deal with.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

12. Member
    I had a very similar issue a couple years ago and I figured out my key switch harness had come unplugged! It is just on the back of the key switch, its just a short harness with a plastic plug. Easy fix, boy was I happy. I pushed it back together and wrapped electrical tape around it so it won't ever come unplugged again!

13. Member
    I've been using IONIC 125 AMP for years, never one issue with battery or power. I have a 2014 Yamaha SHO 250. IONIC and Yamaha is a great setup. Should be even better with the new engines with alternator's.

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

14. Member
    Update:
    I am using a Miller Tech Dual Purpose 135. After the adjustment to the circuit board (done by M-Tech) to raise the over voltage protection (it is still in the safe range for the battery) I ran it under the same conditions as when it shut down, this time no cut off. So I am happy other than now that I have lost the weight in the rear I need to rebalance the boat to get back some performance.