2019 Starweld Fusion 16 DC Opinion

I have not see too many posts on Starweld boats on this forum. I am considering buying a lightly and well maintained used 2019 Starweld Fusion 16 DC with a 70hp Yamaha locally. It is $1k more than a 2014 Tracker Proguide V175 DC with a Merc 90hp. The only real thread I have seen is https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=952781 . I am usually on Saranac Lake NY or Great Sacandaga with a family of 4 for fun and fishing.

I sold a way to big and heavy Seaswirl Striper 1875 CC that was a mistake (I thought I would be going to the Jersey Shore bays or long Island) and wanted to downsize to a more manageable lake oriented boat. The Tracker is much wider and a bit heavier, but I have a 4-Runner so not a big deal... Is it worth it for the additional size of the Tracker or should I payup for the nicer newer boat but compromise a bit on the size. There is a lot of info out there on the Tracker, just not a significant amount of reviews or feedback on the Starweld.

The Starweld is $18k, the Tracker is $17k

Thoughts??

Location in Hudson Valley NY both boats have only been used in lakes no salt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My thoughts.

I haven't seen a Starweld in person so the only thing I have to go on is the pictures. Would go with the Starweld, you made mention of family of four, the jump seats would be a plus for them.
    If you do any trolling it looks like its set up for that. And the Starweld being five years newer would factor into the decision. and the counsel looks better.
    Post on which one you choose.

just my two cents.

Tom

3. Member
    Thanks Tom - I am waiting to hear back so hopefully its still available. If I pick it up I'll post more about it as I use it so there is more information for others that are shopping. Really just a subset of StarCraft so it is likely similar build / quality. I like the Yamaha engine as well so that factored into the decision.

Jim

4. Member
    Just saw this. I have a couple of years on mine now. Second year bumps on main deck started to appear. Dealer said it must go back to factory for repair. The bumps are the rivets that hold the main deck secured to the framework and they're corroding away and the corrosion is pushing up throughout the rivet and pushing up on the flooring. If this happens to you sell the boat before it goes back to factory. The boat is not the same boat in being that the workmanship is piss poor at the factory. When the boat came back the first time the axle was bent and two lug nuts were on backwards. Dealer said he ate that cause the factory would stand good for it. When I got boat home and really got to look at it they really are messed up at the factory. Fitment of the front casting deck was poor. Screws not properly seated,deck not fully fitted properly.Due to deck fitment numerous trip hazards we're created. Front compartments port and starboard we're missing fasteners or we're not tightened down. This one really gets me, I boat comes with a helix 5 in the dash. I had another 5 from my 14' that I hooked up on this boat as an aux unit. I made everything removable on the aux unit as it was only temporary. Well the factory took it upon themselves to hard wire the unit electrically and pinched the transducer between two bulkheads and made it permanent to the boat. Only way to remove it is to dismantle the dash and remove bulkhead to remove wire. I was furious and returned boat to dealer with blue painters tape pointing out all the discrepancies that the factory has incorporated into my boat by doing a factory blunder during construction.. the dealer thanked me for doing thier job and pointing out what needed to be addressed and off it went to factory again. When the boat came back the transducer wire was still the way they installed it the first time. They did address fitment and loose hardware. I showed the dealer and he just said hmmm ��. I told him the wire was temporary. Now I can't remove it without cutting it. Hmm he said. Right there is where I screwed myself due to anger, told dealer good bye and left. I ended up cutting the wire to update to a helix 7. In the process of running new wire for 7 I found that the factory pinched the cable for the helix5 during the process and luckily I was able to free it.
    This boat is made in the smokercraft factory making smokers, StarCrafts and starwelds. I would not buy any of these products again. The workmanship on my boat below deck is something to see that would disgust anyone that saw it and now I get to see the type of workmanship on the surface. My StarCraft camper is the same way with piss poor workmanship. The two factories must be next to each other. The only good thing I can say about this boat now after 600+ hrs is that is really seaworthy. As for the workmanship and the excessive vibration from the boat regardless of the 70 Yamaha or the 6 Yamaha kicker I added I would not spend another penny on this brand or any brand my at the smokercraft factory.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 51ashton View Post
    Just saw this. I have a couple of years on mine now. Second year bumps on main deck started to appear. Dealer said it must go back to factory for repair. The bumps are the rivets that hold the main deck secured to the framework and they're corroding away and the corrosion is pushing up throughout the rivet and pushing up on the flooring. If this happens to you sell the boat before it goes back to factory. The boat is not the same boat in being that the workmanship is piss poor at the factory. When the boat came back the first time the axle was bent and two lug nuts were on backwards. Dealer said he ate that cause the factory would stand good for it. When I got boat home and really got to look at it they really are messed up at the factory. Fitment of the front casting deck was poor. Screws not properly seated,deck not fully fitted properly.Due to deck fitment numerous trip hazards we're created. Front compartments port and starboard we're missing fasteners or we're not tightened down. This one really gets me, I boat comes with a helix 5 in the dash. I had another 5 from my 14' that I hooked up on this boat as an aux unit. I made everything removable on the aux unit as it was only temporary. Well the factory took it upon themselves to hard wire the unit electrically and pinched the transducer between two bulkheads and made it permanent to the boat. Only way to remove it is to dismantle the dash and remove bulkhead to remove wire. I was furious and returned boat to dealer with blue painters tape pointing out all the discrepancies that the factory has incorporated into my boat by doing a factory blunder during construction.. the dealer thanked me for doing thier job and pointing out what needed to be addressed and off it went to factory again. When the boat came back the transducer wire was still the way they installed it the first time. They did address fitment and loose hardware. I showed the dealer and he just said hmmm ��. I told him the wire was temporary. Now I can't remove it without cutting it. Hmm he said. Right there is where I screwed myself due to anger, told dealer good bye and left. I ended up cutting the wire to update to a helix 7. In the process of running new wire for 7 I found that the factory pinched the cable for the helix5 during the process and luckily I was able to free it.
    This boat is made in the smokercraft factory making smokers, StarCrafts and starwelds. I would not buy any of these products again. The workmanship on my boat below deck is something to see that would disgust anyone that saw it and now I get to see the type of workmanship on the surface. My StarCraft camper is the same way with piss poor workmanship. The two factories must be next to each other. The only good thing I can say about this boat now after 600+ hrs is that is really seaworthy. As for the workmanship and the excessive vibration from the boat regardless of the 70 Yamaha or the 6 Yamaha kicker I added I would not spend another penny on this brand or any brand my at the smokercraft factory.
    Wow that’s horrible this is the first time I’ve ever said this but the tracker might be a better option.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Member
    I have owned both, Starweld and Tracker, and the one detail most people overlook when buying an aluminum hull boat is the thickness of the aluminum being used. Tracker uses a thicker aluminum than Starweld. The Starcraft boats have a thicker aluminum hull than the Starweld. Starweld is SmokerCraft's low end boat. I understand all the "noise" about tracker, but honestly a lot of that was with pre- 2016 models. All mgf companies have their quirks/issues, and I have issues with my brand new Tracker, but my dealer backed it up and took care of EVERYTHING that came up. Took two years, but I have resolved all issues and the boat has been a tank. I have the Targa V20 Dual Console, 4 Stroke Merc 150 hp (which I had opted for the 200+ HP, but that is only a top end speed issue).