Question about Weight Distribution Hitch

I have a 2007 Rockwood ROO expandable camper and pull it with my 2012 F150 Crew Cab. It pulls fine but I have noticed that it sways quite a bit when pulling.
    Ill be moving the camper back home this year to be able to use it more but am wondering if I need to get a weight distribution type hitch set up to keep the swaying away.
    I know nothing about these hitches at all. Is there something like weight wise i need to get and how to they hook up etc.

2. Member
    I'm not an expert by no means but I have pulled campers without a weight distribution hitch with sway control and I'll never do it again. I only did it in certain circumstances. I recommend buying one, they have all kinds and they can get very expensive but in my opinion they are worth it. They do have different ones for different weight trailers. If you don't know how much your trailer weighs fully loaded (not dry weight) them put it on a truck scale and find out. Then look for a hitch that's appropriate for your trailer. I have a blue ox now and it works great I'm very happy with it.
    2000 Ranger R81VS 175 Merc EFI

3. Member
    Watch this video, it will help get a general understanding of the importance of weight distribution.

I wouldn't pull with a WDH either. I have a 1/2 Ram with a 20' travel trailer. I have had two different WD Hitches. The 4 Point Equalizer and the Andersen. Both work well. I much prefer the Andersen. A lot of the WDH like the Equalizer use steel bars in their setup. These are a bit more of a hassle to work with then the whale plate with chains the Andersen uses. Once unhooked you have to store the bars somewhere and they are heavy. No big deal, just prefer the Andersen for ease of hooking up and unhooking. Plus the bar types tend to make a considerable amount of noise as they rub on the plates to cause the friction to reduce sway.

Unfortunately none are cheap.

Without a doubt you will need one. They make all the difference in the world. When you are pulling it makes it feel like your rig and trailer is all one unit going down the road with no sway. I use one on or 16' trailer. It also helps increase the hitch weight you can put on your rig.

5. Member
    WDH isn’t for sway. It’s for load. But you can put a anti sway bar on it also

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    WDH isn’t for sway.
    Say what? Any decent WDH has anti-sway bars.
    Last edited by BalsaBee; 04-27-2023 at 08:42 PM.

6000lbs is about the lightest WD spring bars you can get. Reese makes a light duty wd for smaller campers and can have sway control
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    WDH isn’t for sway. It’s for load. But you can put a anti sway bar on it also
    Correct the WD hitch is for distribution of the load. Sway control is separate that can be added to the hitch. Or could be used without the hitch depending on how it is installed.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsouthpaw View Post
    Correct the WD hitch is for distribution of the load. Sway control is separate that can be added to the hitch. Or could be used without the hitch depending on how it is installed.
    Wrong. Equalizer 4 point and Fastway E2 weight distribution hitches have built in anti sway. The hitch uses the friction of the load bars on the L brackets. Much better system than adding a separate anti sway device.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Wrong. Equalizer 4 point and Fastway E2 weight distribution hitches have built in anti sway. The hitch uses the friction of the load bars on the L brackets. Much better system than adding a separate anti sway device.
    You are correct concerning these hitches. There are others also. One of my favorites, which you don’t see a lot of these days is a dual cam sway control which also works with the load bars to control swaying. All of these hitches are combinations of weight distribution and sway control. But if you get just a weight distribution hitch it does not control sway, it controls the load. I also prefer a combo hitch instead of having two separate devices.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BalsaBee View Post
    Say what? Any decent WDH has anti-sway bars.
    Weight Distribution and sway control are two separate things.

13. Member
    https://www.blueox.com/swaypro-weigh...ibuting-hitch/

I have this and like it. Not cheap. There's a chart to buy based on tongue weight.