Battery installation question?

Since this is a forum for Illinois I thought maybe someone could chime in on my situation and know a little bit more about it. I just got a 100AH Ionic lithium battery to put in my
    boat to replace my heavy lead acid starting battery. I’m doing this in a “Newton boat” so even 15-20 lbs can make a huge difference. This last battery will have me switched over to all lithium. As some of you know some of our Newton boats don’t have a ton of room compared to a big boat. I have a 2011 Stratos 176XT. So the question is……do you have to have a battery tray for lithium batteries? I haven’t got the battery yet and I’m not 100% sure it’s going to fit the way it should. I know for sure it would fit if I layed it over on its side but it wouldn’t fit in a tray if it’s laying on its side. I’ve been checked several times at Newton already this year and none of them have said anything about a tray. They just want to check that the terminals are all covered. I’m pretty certain I can move things around and make it fit but if not laying it on it’s side was another option I thought of if need be.

2. Member
    Same size as my ionic 125...12.5 x 6.5 x 9.2 it fit in my group 31 tray that I had my old AGM in. If it's a plastic tray and just doesn't fit lengthwise you can always just cut one end of the tray, I did that on an old boat and it was fine. Having a tray is better than not having a tray IMO.
    Last edited by willwork4fish; 04-24-2023 at 04:52 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Same size as my ionic 125...12.5 x 6.5 x 9.2 it fit in my group 31 tray that I had my old AGM in. If it's a plastic tray and just doesn't fit lengthwise you can always just cut one end of the tray, I did that on an old boat and it was fine. Having a tray is better than not having a tray IMO.

That’s good to know because I just ordered a group 31 tray.