AR pistols length ??

Can someone educate me on the legalities of AR pistols. Saw one at a gun store and liked it. Had a fold out stock and what seemed like a pretty short barrel. Guy said it was the legal length but still seemed awful short. I think he said 13". Maybe it was just the fold out stock that threw me off. Anyways thought it could be a good toy throwing 9mm at the range or friends farm.

When I search I see several offerings for ars that have barrels down even below 7". Is this classified a Sbr or pistol or need some silly stamp etc.

Just lost on that whole thing.

Many thanks

A 13" may have a pinned and welded flash hider making it a rifle16". If its not like that it would be a pistol unless it has virtually any stock/ arm brace thingy on the buffer tube. Going to need more information but the sbr wait times dont seem bery long, a couple weeks.

Sub 16" is a pistol with a brace, bare buffer tube, or nothing at the rear. Sub 16" with a stock is a SBR and will need a form 1. Look into the ATF's new pistol brace ruling though. I haven't really kept up with it after it was published, but if you don't want to deal with that load of horse manure, I'd say stick to 16".

As stated less than 16” is a short barrel rifle. No AR pistols now, don’t think they can even sell them as a “pistol” with the brace. Best thing to do if it still has a “brace” on it in my opinion is to have the dealer take it off if they can and submit a Form 1, way quicker than buying it as an SBR and waiting around 9 months. I’m not 100% sure how the dealers are handling this but I’ve seen the braces removed at my local gun store.

I just paid to have my Noveske AR pistol (just under an 8 inch barrel) I had before the ATF ruling to be converted to an SBR, got the stamp in 25 days. I wanted it in my Trust so I had to pay, couldn’t do the free approval due the the recent ATF ruling stating it had to be in your Trust before the ruling.

Also, what caliber is it? One of my SBR’s is a 300 blackout and the other is a 9mm HK SP5. Personally, I don’t really care for the 5.56 SBR from what I’ve read but do not own in SBR length either. 300 BLK sub sonic with a suppressor is pretty cool and fun to shoot. I just got my suppressor tax stamp back this morning for this particular SBR.

5. Member
    With the new ATF rule, if it has basically anything attached to the buffer tube, it will be considered a sbr. If nothing is attached to the buffer tube it's still considered a pistol. I'm not sure how those with the built on folding stocks are considered.