Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I for got to add something. CHINA. As I stated get informed. There are a lot of myths about solar. Both companies I contacted use panels made in the United States, Germany and Japan. Who knew! I just just falsely believed all the talk that China supplied everything.
    Can I ask what companies you looked at and if you made a decision? I don't care where things are made because I just want the best I can afford. Competition is good.

2. Member
    A number of things I have learned since installing a solar PV array nearly 15 years ago.

1. the 15-25 year warranty/guarantee on panels is almost worthless because the chances of the manufacturer still being around after even 10 years are negligible. I bought supposedly top tier panels from a local manufacturer and they got water intrusion after 9 years, and they all had to be replaced - guess what……

2. a top quality inverter is every bit as important as the panels. Get German made or at least German or US designed and made anywhere except China. If you can buy quality panels made in the USA go for it. Otherwise there are actually very good panels made in S Korea and Indonesia too. The only ones made locally here in Australia are ultra expensive so I got the Sth Korean QCells when we replaced the stuffed panels, and so far, very happy. We were also lucky that there had been revent storms and our household insurance paid the replacement costs. Phew!

So find out if your home insurer covers solar panels from damage due to weather events such as storms, hail, lightning etc and if they need to be specifically listed or are automatically covered.

3. Some solar panel companies have deceptive names, dor example, “Canadian Solar” is actually now Chinese owned, and while some of its panels are made in Canada, the majority come out of China. Beware, and do your research!

4. at some point the Government or power companies will claw back some of the incentives you signed up for. Its already started here. We now get slugged a solar access charge monthly simply for the privilege of having our solar array and there is talk of further charges being introduced that will make things less attractive or extend the payback period. It all starts out looking rosy but be assured, it wont stay that way.

Just think about electric cars - more and more states are now introducing fees to recoup the fuel tax lost and THAT was never mentioned when you signed up for your Tesla 5 years ago was it? Same with solar - they will argue that someone needs to pay for the poles and lines that run past our houses, and as more and more people minimise or eliminate their power bills via solar, there are fewer and fewer people to pay for that. So they will find a way to slug you., somehow.

5. get a inverter that connects to wifi and that you can monitor performance. Its good to be able to keep an eye on your systems performance and if there are any changes, get it inspected.

6. Also, if you are contemplating the possibility of going off grid in the future, make sure the system and especially the inverter can be used for battery storage systems too.

7. take advantage of the incentives while you can, especially if they are “locked in” for a number of years ahead. Our stupid state government offered a 50c/kwh incentive for net power put back into the grid, guaranteed for 20 years, when solar was first kicking off here. It was a deal done with the Greens political wing to get them off the government case for approving new coal mines. From the outset economists said it would blow up in their faces as it was obviously a totally unsustainable incentive, when the retail cost was like 18c/kwh and wholesale close to 8c/kwh. But hell, maths was never the greenies strong suit. Anyway jump on any deals like that.

8. These days for a family of 4, living in a good solar zone, you would want at least a 6kw array. Our average use is around 14kwh per day. So you need a system that generates on average, across the whole year, at least 50% more than your average use. You would be able see your actual monthly use on your bills and add up the annual use.

I think solar panels would work great for some and not so much for others.

I live on a 0.9 acre lot in town with part of it over an embankment. My house, 2 sheds and a garage take up part of that real estate. The end of my house faces south. I’m not fond of putting solar panels on my roof and don’t have enough yard space for stand alone panels.

I retired Jan 22 and my GF works from home. We are home a lot. My electric bill for the last year totals $1509.61 for an average of $125.80 monthly. I heat my house with a natural gas boiler. House is kept at 70* during heating season, which is still happening! Total NG bill for the last year is $1314.60 for an average of $109.55 monthly. I pay by the month, not on a payment plan. Obviously higher usage during winter and very low during summer to keep hot water storage tank hot, third zone from boiler. Total heat and electricity is $2824.21 with a monthly average of $235.35.

For my situation, I don’t think solar panels would be cost effective. If I lived out of town with extra real estate for stand alone panels, maybe.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Neighbor did ground install, he has no batteries, just sells it back to power company.
    I think he said paid for itself in like 5 years and he saves like $3,000 a year on electricity.

5. Member
    Wouldn't it make sense for the government to stop throwing money at incentives and instead invest in Nuclear Power Plants that produce little waste and lots of power? From what I gather, other countries are racing to build nuclear plants because the "green" movement is unsustainable at current technology. Just a thought.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Wouldn't it make sense for the government to stop throwing money at incentives and instead invest in Nuclear Power Plants that produce little waste and lots of power? From what I gather, other countries are racing to build nuclear plants because the "green" movement is unsustainable at current technology. Just a thought.

I prefer tax cuts for the homeowner who installs solar over subsidies for a single power plant. Also, you probably get more bang for our buck incentivizing solar rather than building a nuke plant.
    Thanos was the hero

7. Member
    Nuclear power plants are a great idea and a practical part of the power mix going forward, until it comes to deciding where to put one….

Then its NIMBY!

only thing to add here is IF I could do stand alone I would certainly consider but not a chance Im putting so many holes in my roof

Call me in 10 years when the panels and batteries are better lasting.

When I am not running my AC or heat my electic bill is $60.

When I run either one the highest bills I have seen is $226. My average bill is around $100.

My payoff right now would probably be 50 years if not more.

I think your money would be better spent on building an energy efficient house.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Call me in 10 years when the panels and batteries are better lasting.

When I am not running my AC or heat my electic bill is $60.

When I run either one the highest bills I have seen is $226. My average bill is around $100.

My payoff right now would probably be 50 years if not more.

I think your money would be better spent on building an energy efficient house.
    I tend to agree with this. About $200 is the biggest electric bill we ever seen. Generally $125 or so month as a year round average. It’s not worth it to me to save that amount of money. Lots other stuff I could do save that much a month.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234