Would Tempest A45 25p be a good choice?

Hi everyone,

1988 Gambler 183 with a fresh rebuilt 1989 Mariner Mag II 150, has everything done to it you can do except for the 200 front half. Motor is built to turn 7000 rpm although don’t plan on doing that regularly. Currently running a Turbo 23p 4 blade (came with boat) which has been a surprisingly good prop. Still have a couple hours of break in left but know I can spin it to 7000 (only done very briefly so far). When accelerating from 6000 to 6500 hit 65.8mph and boat was pulling pretty hard still. Water PSI is 15+, not sure on prop to pad as I’m running a 10” Bobs hydraulic so adjust on the fly but sweet spot seems to be around 3” below which is lower than I expected but that’s where it likes it. Lower is the bigger bullet case with 1.87 gears.

Was planning on waiting until break in was over before trying some different props, specifically Tempest and Trophy, but came across a really nice 25p Tempest A45 for a couple hundred bucks, seller won’t ship and the round trip to get it would be 4 hours. So before I make that drive was hoping to get some input on if you prop guys thought it might be a good prop for the boat. Even if it’s close, I would send it to Mark to be balanced and blueprinted so could have it tweaked as needed, just don’t want to make that drive if definitely not a good choice.

Thanks!
    Willie

2. Member
    I talked myself into it LOL, going to get it in the morning. Going to finish break in with the Turbo and then try out the Tempest after.

Willie

3. Member
    You will like the Tempest and should get more bow lift. You will also likely be able to run jack plate higher but need to keep an eye on water pressure.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Left with the 25p A45 Tempest and a 24p Tempest Plus, both in very good condition for $300 for both. The 24p is probably not enough prop but for the price couldn’t pass it up and gives me some testing options or even a good spare prop. Now just need to finish out the break in.

Willke

5. Member
    Sounds like you hit the jackpot 👍
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    In 1997 I bought a new a45 25p Tempest and a new 175efi below (still use both). My PTP is 3.78-inch, CMC ML-65 manual (5.5-inch), flush trim tab, good hole shot & 65 GPS @ 5600 RPM. Mercury/Champion dealer told me this was prop to buy for my Champ.

I've used the Flo-torq II with front bushing for years & 100 foot pounds for prop nut. (see below)

Google search for > tempest trophy service bulletin 27-APR-1998 <
    Crowley Marine website in Google search list has Service Bulletin BUSHING info for A45 Tempest.
    [don't include the two arrows in the Google search]
    Last edited by tj; 04-26-2023 at 07:29 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    Thanks for the info! I actually bought the next day a flo torq II hub kit and a new prop bushing kit which is the insert and bushing. But I sincerely appreciate you looking out and sharing the info!

Thanks!
    Willie

8. Member
    Was going to finish up the last few hours of break in this morning but the lake was pretty rough from the winds, and a little chilly for 3 hours of just running. Got about 1.5 hours in and decided to pull her out and try the Tempest A45 25p. Holy crap that’s a fast prop. 71 mph at 6000 rpm and it was still climbing and I was playing it very safe on motor height and trim because my water pressure gauge was acting up (had good water coming out the hose to the gauge so know I had pressure). That was a 7 mph gain over the best I could run today with the 23p 4 blade I had on it. Hole shot was decent too, lagged a second or two then spooled up and went, had all the holes fully plugged so going to drill them out a bit. For reference a 9/16 Hillman hole plug from Lowe’s fits in the A45 holes pretty tight.

Calculates out to 7% prop slip. Theoretical top speed with that prop slip at 7k rpm is 82 LOL. Ordering a new water pressure gauge today and can’t wait to get it back out on the water when I can really push her.

Willie

9. Member
    Might put a drain-T in the water pressure gauge line for winters. The lever on mine rotates 90-degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj; 05-01-2023 at 08:20 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

10. Member
    Thanks for the tip! Mine actually lives in the garage and I also disconnect the line during the non-fishing months just in case I ever have to move it outside while working on any other projects. I actually think I damaged it with compressed air, was having water pressure issues right after the rebuild and used air to check the hose was clear and that the gauge was reading but stupidly forgot to turn down the air pressure before hitting the gauge.

11. Member
    A45 is a great prop.. If you’d like to sell the 24P Tempest give me shout.. I live in Belleville so we’re close..Also 55 lbs on the prop nut..
    Pm me FB messenger Jason Kennedy about the 24 if you want to sell it..

12. Member
    100 foot pounds if use front bushing with a45 Tempest. see post #14 at link below

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...lo-Torq+II+hub

or thread below
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1169689

1997 - bought new A45 25p Tempest & new 175 EFI (flat trim tab anode)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj; 05-06-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI