Thread: 350 Legend

Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

350 Legend

Won one in a raffle this past weekend at our local Delta Waterfowl banquet. Its the Ruger American Ranch. I've not owned one, just curious as to how many deer hunt with it and its effectiveness. I do recall during the ammo shortages of recent history, 350 Legend was one of the few consistently still on the shelf.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

Light recoil, similar ballistics to the 3030 out to about 175 yds. I've taken 3 deer in the last 3 years with it and none went over 30 yds. Good hog round also.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

3. Member
    It wouldn't seem to be all that practical for AR hunting since it was developed for states that have "primitive" firearm regs to limit firepower. Not something I'd buy but if they're gonna give me one, I won't say no

4. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    It wouldn't seem to be all that practical for AR hunting since it was developed for states that have "primitive" firearm regs to limit firepower. Not something I'd buy but if they're gonna give me one, I won't say no
    That was kind of where I've always been with it. Why would I need it? But, since they gave me one, might as well tinker with it
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

Being in a state that limits us to straight wall cartridges I’m very familiar with it. Have built quite a few AR uppers for myself, friends and family. Every one has been very accurate. I would caution against using the plastic tip v max type bullets in this cartridge. Have had great success with the 160 grain federal fusion and look forward to patterning the Barnes load this summer. My daughter has killed her last three deer at 140-165 yards and the farthest one went 40 yards down hill at most. Been impressed with it to say the least.

6. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Being in a state that limits us to straight wall cartridges I’m very familiar with it. Have built quite a few AR uppers for myself, friends and family. Every one has been very accurate. I would caution against using the plastic tip v max type bullets in this cartridge. Have had great success with the 160 grain federal fusion and look forward to patterning the Barnes load this summer. My daughter has killed her last three deer at 140-165 yards and the farthest one went 40 yards down hill at most. Been impressed with it to say the least.
    Nice! What problems have you had with the plastic tip rounds, just curious?
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

So being such a new cartridge hornaday on their podcast said it has been truly unreliable strarting to outpace many other traditional deer cartridges. Largely due to it qualifying in many states that dont have a rifle season

8. Member
    I wish they would keep making components for the old stuff that works just as good or better instead of wasting time with new crap that does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cmclairday2 View Post
    Nice! What problems have you had with the plastic tip rounds, just curious?
    Lack of expansion. Have seen the same with muzzleloaders. those bullets tend to pattern really good from my experience but lack any opening up unless heavy bone is hit. Seen way to many with entrance and exit hole the exact same diameter. I am a firm believer in old school lead soft point or Barnes type bullets.

10. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Lack of expansion. Have seen the same with muzzleloaders. those bullets tend to pattern really good from my experience but lack any opening up unless heavy bone is hit. Seen way too many with entrance and exit hole the exact same diameter. I am a firm believer in old school lead soft point or Barnes type bullets.
    That makes perfect sense.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

11. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Lack of expansion. Have seen the same with muzzleloaders. those bullets tend to pattern really good from my experience but lack any opening up unless heavy bone is hit. Seen way to many with entrance and exit hole the exact same diameter. I am a firm believer in old school lead soft point or Barnes type bullets.
    And at handload speeds they tend to fragment.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

12. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    In Michigan they opened up muzzleloader season to straight walled cartridge rifles. The 350 is nice out to 125 yds IMO, not much more. Great round to get a kid started.

I really like my 450 BM, as my handloads have taken deer out to 200 yds with no problem. Factory ammo...meh. 50/50 success rate when I used that.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

13. Member
    The 350 will be a great brush gun with light recoil and that’s about it. I use a 444 marlin for my brush gun and a 270 win in a Ruger American for longer open areas. Have definitely considered the 350 simply because that 444 likes to jump out your arms and will leave a heck of a bruise if you don’t pay attention