Traveling through The Natural State this week……

Been in Bentonville, Springdale, Lowell, Fayetteville and all the way to Hot Springs now. Took some roads that I’ve never been on. Headed toward Little Rock tomorrow and then back to DFW on Friday. Passed by some good looking fisheries in Lake Dardanelle on HW22 and was wondering when going south if Nimrod Lake is a good fishery. The drive south from Russellville to Hot Springs was a doozy. The scenic HW7 bypass was not all that fun. I stopped at our new build finally under construction in the big thriving metropolis of Ratcliff LOL and checked out footing being poured. I’m excited to move over here, get a boat, and start exploring new lakes and learn more about AR. 9 more weeks! Instead of Okie Poke, my have to change screen name to ArkiePig. I’ll always still be true to my Cowboys, though. Looking forward to possibly meeting a few folks on this board……have a good remainder of your week!

Okie
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

2. Member
    Drove that snaky road back in 82 in a yellow hound manual shift at night in snow and sleet. Had a bus load of kids returning from a BB tournament. I don't think I got above 40 MPH at any point during that drive. Stop and look at Lake Degray on you way home. Use to be one of my favorite lakes.

3. Member
    I've done Highway 7 from my hometown of Camden to Hot Springs and my current town of Harrison to Russellville but have not done the stretch between Russellville to Hot Springs. Where are you moving to in Arkansas? Highway 7 takes me from Harrison to Bull Shoals at Diamond City

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I've done Highway 7 from my hometown of Camden to Hot Springs and my current town of Harrison to Russellville but have not done the stretch between Russellville to Hot Springs. Where are you moving to in Arkansas? Highway 7 takes me from Harrison to Bull Shoals at Diamond City
    Moving to Ratcliff, AR. Most people don’t know where that is but is 8mi west of Paris, AR. 35mi east of Fort Smith. We are so ready to get outta the metromess.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post
    Moving to Ratcliff, AR. Most people don’t know where that is but is 8mi west of Paris, AR. 35mi east of Fort Smith. We are so ready to get outta the metromess.
    When I have to go to Ft Smith for work, typical a couple days, I always take the scenic route down 7 then hit 22 west to Ft Smith which takes me through there. Do you happen to have a side by side UTV? If so you're in a great area to ride the National Forest, we ride a lot around Mill Creek in the Combs area just up Hwy 23 from Ozark.

6. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Back in the 70's my dad went to college in Fayetteville. He'd do the lid flip on the 307 in his '71 Malibu and drive Scenic 7 (pig trail) WAY TOO FAST. He'd stop at a rest area not far south of it to let his brakes cool off. One time he had to put his car in the ditch because Bill Clinton crossed the yellow in that '65 Mustang he had back then hootin and hollerin with some girls with him.

The Paris area is a nice place. Had a buddy who used to live there before moving to Tyler, TX. Subiaco is a holy place for Catholics from what I understand.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    When I have to go to Ft Smith for work, typical a couple days, I always take the scenic route down 7 then hit 22 west to Ft Smith which takes me through there. Do you happen to have a side by side UTV? If so you're in a great area to ride the National Forest, we ride a lot around Mill Creek in the Combs area just up Hwy 23 from Ozark.
    My nephew has a couple of them that we have ridden around Mt Magazine. Know several folks that ride the mountains in that area. My short term objectives will be to clean the place up that was set up by my FIL raising horses and cattle. We do fun stuff like eliminating pens, spraying and removing growth on fences and removing fences, cleaning out barns, etc……UGH. We’re getting there slowly but surely since we’ve inherited the property back in 2020. I’ve got all the toys needed for now with exception of tractor and boat. Next purchase will be tractor after house is built. I’m ready to wipe the city outta this boy and become full fledged hillbilly. Been called a redneck all my life so not much will change but a lot less traffic and slower pace of life.

IMG_3676.jpeg

8. Member
    Nice, already got the shop built,GO POKES!!

9. Member
    Nimrod is a great crappie lake but is a flood control lake so it fluctuates bad.

10. Member
    Nimrod is Arkansas' best kept secret.... ;-)

11. Member
    I haven't fished it in years but Blue Mountain Lake isn't too far from you and it used to be a great crappie lake, I'm assuming it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    I haven't fished it in years but Blue Mountain Lake isn't too far from you and it used to be a great crappie lake, I'm assuming it still is.

Do you know if there is good bass in it? Thanks.

13. Member
    I have no clue, hopefully someone else here can answer that for you

14. Member
    When i was living in Fort Smith a couple years ago, I went with a guy, who knows the lake pretty well, a couple times in the late summer/early fall and we caught some, but never anything big. 3 lbs even probably the biggest. Only fished 3-4 times so really don’t have a lot of experience on it, but as said above, it’s primarily known for crappie fishing. If I remember right, the lake is really flat

15. Member
    You'll be close to Paris City Lake, Ozark City Lake, Shores Lake, and my favorite Arkansas River. Good bass fishing in all of them, give me a shout and I can give more details.
    2009 G3 Eagle 180 / 2009 Yamaha F115 / Minn Kota Maxxum 80 / Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on Bow & Console

Quote Originally Posted by bnewman046 View Post
    You'll be close to Paris City Lake, Ozark City Lake, Shores Lake, and my favorite Arkansas River. Good bass fishing in all of them, give me a shout and I can give more details.
    Thanks for the info. When we were coming from Tulsa to visit my wife's parents, I would haul my boat down and fish Dardanelle a handful of times and Cove Lake once. Did pretty well on Dardanelle up in the creeks. The most memorable of trips to Dardanelle was when my B-I-L and I ran aground on a sand bar one day. Well, six inches deep just below the surface. We were traveling maybe 30mph and all of a sudden we came to a screeching halt. It was all we could do was to get out and push it off the sand bar. We huffed and puffed but got the job done, barely. I always follow channel buoys now, LOL!

I live about 20 or so minutes from Ratcliff. I fish Dardanelle out of Shoal Bay a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I live about 20 or so minutes from Ratcliff. I fish Dardanelle out of Shoal Bay a lot.
    Maybe I can buy your gas and lunch some day and be a backseater? I haven't fished Dardanelle in over 20 years.

Maybe I can buy your gas and lunch some day and be a backseater? I haven't fished Dardanelle in over 20 years.
    Absolutely. We ride side by sides a lot at Magazine also if you like that kind of thing. Lots of good summertime swimming holes on the trails for when it’s hot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Absolutely. We ride side by sides a lot at Magazine also if you like that kind of thing. Lots of good summertime swimming holes on the trails for when it’s hot.

Sounds like a blast. My nephew has taken us up on Magazine a couple of times. We never found the swimming holes, though. Been a while, but I do remember how hot it was when we went.