Search for the Perfect Dropshot Rod

Did a lot of research on the perfect finesse dropshot rod that can handle 3/8 weights and also be the perfect NED rod. Ordered the Daiwa Tatula 7'1" ML and got it today. Absolutely love it so far, without actually having it on the water.

I think you will find that rod will work for you. The only thing you may find is the sensitivity may be a little lacking especially when using in current. The rod does have good power with a moderate action.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    I think you will find that rod will work for you. The only thing you may find is the sensitivity may be a little lacking especially when using in current. The rod does have good power with a moderate action.
    I agree with Mr Bass. The Tatulas are good all around rods, but for the technique of drop shotting, I think they leave room for improvement. Again, if you fish braid to leader, it will help with the sensitivity, and I am sure it will perform well. For the money, they are really solid sticks.

This is a mission I have been on for the past three + years, ie in search of the perfect drop shot rod. I have tried everything from $500+ to $200 ish price range. Honestly, THE best (my most favorite) drop shot rod was the Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier 6'10" ML Power Fast Action spinning rod. I rue the day I ever sold it and I have been on the hunt for replacement to no avail. I let it go because I was looking for something better, the perfect drop shot rod, and in my mind I thought a Abu Garcia rod can't be the best drop shot rod, can it?? Well, yes it can.... The search continues.

4. Member
    Because I build my own rods, I have replaced most of my factory rods with my own builds. But one rod I have held onto is my Tatula ML, and, as mentioned above, I fish it with braid with a fluoro leader. For an inexpensive rod, it just fishes very nicely for Ned rigging. However, I just built myself a 7’2” ML rod on a Batson RX 10 for DS/Ned that I really like a lot.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    For me the perfect Drop Shot rod will never be the perfect Ned Rig rod. These are two different things.
    I'm also on the quest for the perfect drop shot rod. For 3 or 4 years, I used a Crucial drop shot rod ( the one with the EVA grip) that, for me, was close to perfect: a soft extra fast action. I broke it. Right now I'm using an Expride B ML (6 foot 8) that is very close to the Crucial, even better at keeping the fish pinned but I'm also still looking.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    For me the perfect Drop Shot rod will never be the perfect Ned Rig rod. These are two different things.
    I'm also on the quest for the perfect drop shot rod. For 3 or 4 years, I used a Crucial drop shot rod ( the one with the EVA grip) that, for me, was close to perfect: a soft extra fast action. I broke it. Right now I'm using an Expride B ML (6 foot 8) that is very close to the Crucial, even better at keeping the fish pinned but I'm also still looking.
    Agreed that Dropshot and Ned don't overlap as much as one would like. The closest I've found is the Steez AGS 7'6" MML. It does a great job at the lower end (3/16oz) and can handle 1/2oz+, as well. And it has that soft fast tip with lots of backbone. The Trika 7'0" ML/Fast can do both rigs, as well.

But dropshots have such a large weight range (I dropshot with 1/8oz, but also with 3/8oz, depending on depth and wind), and the same is true for Ned (1/8oz in shallower water, but Ned for smallies in 30+ feet of water requires 1/4oz heads. So which rod DOES feel good as a double duty rod is going to feel different for anybody.

7. Member
    Dobyns Ultra Light Finesse casting rod, 7’4”, Light Mod 740, 1/16-5/16, extra fast, 2-8lb line. Incredible rod for DS and Ned rigs, 3/16 and under. Paired with a Shimano Aldebaran BFS reel, 8lb braid to 6lb FC.

8. Member
    Don't know if it's the best, but a St Croix Legend Elite 6'10" mlxf is a pretty good drop shot rod.

9. Member
    I use a 7' st croix premier in medium.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

10. Member
    From shore the Steez 7’6 MML can’t be beat. From the boat the Nrx 822 DSR is my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I myself find it's the same rod
    Just different line.