Praying Trolling Motor Wiring for Garmin Force in 175 TXW

Gentlemen,

I've just purchased a Garmin Force and the minimum gauge to power it is 6 AWG. Oddly enough, in my 2014 Bass Tracker 175 txw, the TM wire at the battery is 6 AWG and 8 AWG at the plug! At some point, there's a transition, and who knows what other connections there might be coming out of where they are joined. I'm afraid to pull. Does anyone have experience with rewiring for their trolling motor in this boat? Wiring diagrams? A work around from going from front to back with a new line? Pictures would really help with my confidence level in taking this on.

Thank you!

NeverBetter

2. Member
    Does it have a circuit breaker? Maybe change in size is there?

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Swapping the wire shouldn't be difficult. Just tape the new to the old and pull the new in as the old goes out.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Agree with 04Triton. I would figure out where the circuit break is. Maybe even call a Tracker Service center or dealer of trackers and ask them where it's at. I then would see if he's right and it switches there. If you don't see it around the batteries (Where I would expect it to be and where it's recommended to install circuit breakers) it may be at the other end near the plug which while being not ideal as far as safety, would be the shorter run to your TM Plug.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Swapping the wire shouldn't be difficult. Just tape the new to the old and pull the new in as the old goes out.
    That statement assumes that when the boat was being built at the factory it didn't have a butt ton of spray foam lodged into the wiring and harness area.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

6. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    That statement assumes that when the boat was being built at the factory it didn't have a butt ton of spray foam lodged into the wiring and harness area.
    The old tug test with the existing wire will be necessary. Depending on how tight the run was I've even soldered the new and old wires together for a straight run without a bulge. Last thing you want is to have the taped up new and old somewhere in the middle and have the "OH SHIT" moment. That's when a quick pull turns into an all day ordeal. To be clear, I used to be heavy into car audio and have learned a few tricks over the years when feeding wires into doors, dashes, behind panels, etc. I would NEVER do that for a living because I only worked on my own stuff because I'm cheap and picky. A lot of what I've learned in the automotive world seems to transfer to boats.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    My 2005 has this type connector not far from the receptacle. This may be your transition point.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Dog-P...ocket/44555154
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 04-22-2023 at 12:27 PM.
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    My 2005 has this type connector not far from the receptacle. This may be your transition point.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Dog-P...ocket/44555154

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone. Pilgrim, the connector you showed is indeed at the bow of the boat beneath the trim switch panel. Unfortunately, it is 8 gauge on both sides of the connector. Also, I have found the 50 AMP circuit breaker and wire for the trolling motor at the battery end, and it is indeed 6 AWG. Please see the pics.

So now you can see my dillema. If there IS a connector where it goes from 6 AWG to 8 AWG, I can disconnect it with a tug. Secondly, my 6/2 marine gauge wire came in and it is too big to fit in the existing conduit! It's tinned with two layers of thick insulation. So somehow I need to get from the bow to stern WITHOUT using an existing conduit.

Son of a mother dog. It gets worse. So I just discovered I received a wiring diagram back in 2017 from Tracker. See attached. It shows that the 175 TXW, which comes stock with a 45 lbs MK Edge, was supposed to only have 8 gauge from front to back. Did they run out of wire at the factory?

So it seems I have to lie down new conduit and cable somehow. Too thick for the gunnel. Oh, I really didn't want to pull up my front deck. The boat still looks newish. Still seeking advice. Will keep you posted on how things roll

Never Better
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files