Thread: Meater Block

Meater Block

My son bought me a "Meater Block" for Christmas. Anyone use one of these. Seems difficult for a old guy to navigate thru it.

2. Member
    I have the four probe model. I am a "techie" and do not have any issues with mine. What are you having issues with? After it is set up, it is fairly simple to use. Did you install the app? What are you trying to navigate through? Did you get the wifi model or the bluetooth model. I have the wifi model and with the app it is pretty easy to use.

The only issue I have had is with the battery life of the base.

I will try to help you if you give a few more details.

3. Member
    My son bought me the 4 prong model that you have a choice using either WiFi or Standalone feature. I so far haven't cooked anything with it but will try a real thick Rib Eye today.

I have learned somewhat about it and "think" I'll be able to use it today. I am wondering/concerned that the ambient temp of my grill might be to high for the probe. I can easily get my gas grill to over 500 degrees to sear my steaks. Will this destroy the probe ?

I did install the app and just need to play with it a LOT more so I can be comfortable using it. I actually wish he didn't spend so much money on this thing and got me a simpler wired unit instead.

How long do your base batteries last and how long does the probe charges last. Do you use the USB cord to run it instead of batteries ?

4. Member
    I use the WiFi set up on my Meater. I can set the base unit in my window with the BGE on the deck and connect to the probes and the WiFi. The good thing about the WiFi connection is that you can be away from your house and see the cook information.
    The longest time I have used the probe is about 4-5 hours. The probe still had an adequate charge to keep working. The base unit drained the batteries while charging the probes. It had only been used to charge about 5 probes. I would suggest that you get a USB charge cable for the base unit, apparently it charges the probes continuously and drained pretty quickly.

The probe does have a temperature maximum, I don't remember what it is. It seems like the maximum was around 500 degrees, check your manual. You may be surprised about the cook temperature that the meater probe is exposed to. Mine is usually around ~50 degrees lower than the dome temperature in my BGE (both temperatures are on digital thermometers).

The app is very simple to use. After the probe makes connection with the app, just choose the meat type and cut. Then choose the temperature that you want to cook to. It will calculate the cook time and show you. It will alert you that the cook time is finished and let you know when the rest time is done.

Make sure you clean the probe charging contact well. I used mine in the smoker and didn't clean it well enough and the probe didn't charge.

Also, there is a mark on the probe that is the depth of insertion into the meat for the probe to work. You can feel it and see it if you look closely.

I have a wired thermometer that controls a fan on my BGE. The reason I purchased the Meater was to use with a rotisserie. It has worked great for chicken and hams on the rotisserie.
    Last edited by SDFD29; 04-20-2023 at 03:11 PM. Reason: add information

5. Member
    Thank you so much for your help and time.