Rainshadow Judge crankbait blanks

I'm looking to build a new chatterbait rod and was looking at using a Judge JDGCB70H blank. Just curious if anyone has built on this blank, and if so, do you happen to have CCS numbers for it? I'm looking for IP in grams, and an AA number.

I've found the numbers for the MH version of the blank, and it has an IP of 573 with an AA of 68. I like the action number, but was looking for more power.

If anyone has built on the heavy power blank, but doesn't have CCS numbers for it, I'd be interested in hearing if you've used it for throwing chatterbaits, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Any information provided will be greatly appreciated !!!

2. Member
    I haven't but now I want to order one...

3. Member
    lol Will. I can certainly understand wanting to try new blanks. I'm going a different route than with a Judge blank. I ordered 3 blanks from NFC last night. An MB 709 IM blank that I will be using to build a rod to donate as a raffle prize for a benefit bass tournament that my friend puts on annually. And 1 MB 666 SM blank, and 1 MB 668 SM blank. I went with SM blanks because well ..... it's a chatterbait rod. Based on CCS numbers the 668 will most likely be the one I end up using for chatterbaits, with the 666 ending up being a buzzbait / spinnerbait rod.

Would someone please explain the IP number rating as well as the AA number rating and what they mean. Thanks

I've been wanting to respond cause I love the judge blank but I've been building on the 7' Medium for throwing balsa squarebills and I love it. It's a very good family of blanks.

6. Member
    team sumo. CCS meaning common cents system, is a way of measuring the power and action of a rod or rod blank.

It's common "cents" because it uses pennies as the weight used to deflect the blank. The pennies need to be a certain year and they will weigh 2.5 grams each. The IP, intrinsic power of a rod or rod blank, is determined by the amount of weight it takes to deflect a rod, 1/3 of the rods length. The way you do it is you mount the rod in a horizontal and level position. The forward most rod support is set at 10% of the rod's length. So if the rod or blank is 7' long, the forward support is set at 8.4" from the butt of the rod. The rest of the rod is sticking out past that forward support.

Next you determine how far you need to deflect the blank in order to constitute a loaded rod, per CCS parameters. For a 7' rod, you need to deflect the blank 28". With the rod set in whatever you use to support it, I use an old hand wrapper I have, I measure from the tip of the rod, to the floor. Let's say the distance from the rod tip to the floor is 48", that means you add weight to the tip of the rod until the tip of the rod is 20" from the floor. That means you have deflected the rod, 28" Now if you actually used pennies as your weight, you'd then count the number of pennies you used, and multiply it by 2.5. That would give you the number of grams it took to deflect the rod the required distance, and that number would be the IP, the intrinsic power of the rod.

I use pennies as the weight, and hang them from the tip top of the rod using a bent paper clip. One end goes through the frame of the tip top, the other end sticks through the plastic bag I put the pennies in. Once I've reached the deflection I need to achieve, I take the bag off and put it on a scale that I set to grams, to weigh the bag. I am not going to count pennies when I can use a fairly inexpensive scale to just weigh the bag full of them.

Determining the AA, the action angle, which represents the action of the rod. is a little more involved. But what it actually measures is the angle the rod tip takes while under the load you've applied to it. You need a printed sheet showing various angles to measure the rod tip angle. The higher the number, the faster the action is. That's because more flexible tips will come closer to 90 degrees, than more powerful tips, or on blanks that have slower actions.

Without some kind of reference point, knowing those numbers won't do you a bit of good. But once you've developed a way to relate those numbers to rod characteristics, they can make choosing the right rod blank, pretty darned easy. The way I developed a way to relate to CCS numbers was to do CCS measurements on factory rods I had. I would see the numbers and say well, I really like this rod for this bait or that bait, so if I buy a blank to build on with those same, or close to the same numbers, the rod I build will fish just like the rod I measured.

The problem is, very few blank manufacturers provide CCS numbers for their blanks. Point Blank provides them. Batson provides CCS numbers for their RX 10 blanks, but to my knowledge, that's about it. Luckily there are places you can find CCS numbers for some blanks. Below are links to articles on how to do CCS testing, as well as two links to the CCS numbers for some blanks. I would also suggest going to Rodbuilding.org. IMO its the best rod building forum on the internet. Anyhow .... here are those links The first one is to the Common Cents System. The other two are to sites with CCS numbers for various blanks.

https://common-cents.info/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=988464562

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...GmiHtf5b3XbgAo

7. Member
    A plastic protractor from the dollar store and a small plastic level from Harbor Freight gives you all you need to find Action Angle once you glue them together. All this has been around 15+ years. The system was never designed to rate rods/blanks, to tell you what is right or wrong, but rather compare rods/blanks built from similar materials. Change materials, the system doesn't track well.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 04-20-2023 at 08:38 PM.

8. Member
    Spoon, what material the rod blank is made of has nothing to do with whether the system "tracks well" or not. As you said. it's designed to compare one blank to another blank. Period.

As I said, in order to know if you are picking the right, or the wrong blank to build a rod on, you have to have a point of reference. And that point of reference comes from doing CCS testing on rods you already have. If you like how they fish certain baits etc. just find a blank with the similar numbers, and it's going to fish very close to the rod you're trying to match. The system doesn't track well if you don't have a way to relate to the numbers the testing provides. But if you have that point of reference, it most definitely will tell you if you are picking the right, or the wrong blank.