Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZXR Two Year Review

So I've had my 2022 ZXR 20 for almost two years now. I bought the first one sold in the state of VA back in July of 2021. I wanted to give an honest review of the boat with pros and cons after tournament fishing with it for almost two years now.

*Side note: This is my first Skeeter/Yamaha, last three boats were all Triton/Mercury.

PROS:
    1. I love the ride. It handles well, doesn't chine walk at all, I've taken my hands off the wheel and put sunscreen on my face while going down the water in a chop at 70mph, handles big wake with no problem, and the speed is there when you need it. Hands down the easiest boat I've ever driven. I've had multiple coanglers tell me how it's one of the best rides they've ever been in.
    2. The front deck is huge, wide, and fishes very well. It's a very stable platform when fishing in wind, or when the coangler moves around in the back.
    3. The boat trailers very well. By that I mean there isn't any vibrations going down the road, the boat loads onto the trailer very well, and you can tell the quality build in the trailer itself.
    4. Overall look of the boat. I love the way it looks, love the color scheme, and how it sits in the water.
    5. This is my first four stroke, but I love the Yamaha. It has a lot of torque, very quiet, good mid-range and top end, great hole shot, looks really smooth, and I've put it to the test.
    6. Bilge compartment is huge. It's very easy to get batteries in/out, or reach back there and turn off the main power switch. Looking down in the bilge compartment you can see the aluminum stringers and tell the overall craftsmanship just by how the plumbing is laid out. I also love how there's two lids to access the bilge area.
    7. Price. I really don't think there's a better boat out there in the 19'-21' range that's a better overall deal than the Skeeter.
    8. The two day boxes are very convenient.
    9. Seats. They've got to be the most comfortable boat seats I've ever sat in, and I like how they sit up a little higher. I'm a shorter guy so that's a benefit.

CONS:
    1. Leaky compartments. Every time it rains I have to take everything out of the starboard rod locker and the two rear compartments to let them air out.
    2. Cooler. Is there any insulation in them at all or is it just a plastic tray insert? They don't hold ice whatsoever. I'd also rather have the cooler placed at the step-up to the deck instead of between the two seats, but that's just me.
    3. Lack of a "catch-all tray". I wish there was somewhere to throw lures & soft plastics in the boat without having to open up a compartment.
    4. Humminbird. This isn't a Skeeter issue obviously, but unless you custom order - they come stock with Humminbirds. I'm less than impressed with them to say the least and will probably end up converting my trolling motor and graphs to all Lowrance.
    5. Livewells. I've never had issues keeping fish alive until this boat. Not sure what the deal is, but I spoke to another Skeeter owner who mentioned the same thing. And the pumpout/recirculate system is horribly engineereed IMO. Not sure why there can't be just a simple pumpout switch instead of having to pull the lever in the livewell to change from recirc to pumpout. Also, the pumpout location. I made a simple fix by putting a 3/8 plumbing fitting in the hole and use tubing to connect it every time I fill up my weigh bag, but still. This is poorly designed.
    6. Unused space beneath the step-up to the front deck. I know AMPD Marine makes an aftermarket drawer, but why can't Skeeter have something built in beneath there? It's completely wasted space.
    7. Fiberglass. To me it seems like the gel coat just holds onto dirt & grime much more than previous boats. I'm pretty good about wiping down my boat when I get home and use Bass Boat Saver after almost every trip, but it seems like it takes about 3 wipedowns for the fiberglass to really shine, and even then it seems almost dull sometimes. On previous boats, one wipedown with Bass Boat Saver would really make the fiberglass pop, give it a waxy feel, and protect it from a lot of dirt & grime. I can't really say the same for this one.
    8. Bow Riser Graph Mount. I like the location of it, and like how they have it up in front of the trolling motor mounted directly to fiberglass, but it seems very thin and cheap. Almost everyone is adding two graphs to the bow of boats these days, and you would think there would be a more convenient system from the manufacturer than what they have. I added a Precision Sonar dual stacker mount to the factory riser, and after a really nasty ride on the James River the factory riser broke. After that, I ordered a replacement bow panel from Precision Sonar, and basically had to disconnect the trolling motor, trolling motor tray, and trim some fiberglass to make it work. It just seems poorly engineered IMO.
    9. Lack of a splashwell. I like how it looks, and maybe I still need to get used to coming off plane with the boat, but it seems like I constantly flood the rear part of the back deck when I come off plane. And with the compartments leaking as bad as they do, that's a problem.
    10. Rod strap downs. The curve on the little latch constantly catches my line, especially on spinning tackle. It's a minor issue, but something a little more inline would be better IMO.

There's probably more pros & cons that I can't think of at the moment, and if I do then I'll go back and edit them in. I just wanted to give some real world feedback on the boat.

When I bought the boat I had it narrowed down to Skeeter, Phoenix, and BassCat. I'm glad I went with the Skeeter over the Phoenix, but I wouldn't mind looking a little harder at a BassCat for my next one, which will be a long time from now. But I'd buy the ZXR again in a heartbeat
    Last edited by Meadows; 04-17-2023 at 01:56 PM.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    The cooler in between the seats is one of my favorite things about skeeter. I personally think it’s the best location for one. I drink more fluids and stay hydrated better cause of the convenience of grabbing a drink while idling or moving spots.

3. Member
    I too like the cooler between the seats for the same reason!

4. Member
    When you come off plane dont just come to a stop. Once your bow starts to settle and the boat slows give it just a little forward throttle. Yeah it's a thing but once you get use to it no more over wash.

Try it looking over your shoulder so you both see what I mean and can gauge how much throttle you need. It's not much.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

Nice review. One tip is if your boat doesn't have the FX cooler lid I would do the retrofit on it as it's a much heavier lid and I noticed ice lasting longer after I switched.

6. Member
    Like the review, love my ZXR21. I have yet to have an issue out mine, and I agree it is by far the Best Buy in bass boats.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    When you come off plane dont just come to a stop. Once your bow starts to settle and the boat slows give it just a little forward throttle. Yeah it's a thing but once you get use to it no more over wash.

Try it looking over your shoulder so you both see what I mean and can gauge how much throttle you need. It's not much.
    I definitely feather it pretty good when coming off plane. Still seems to be an issue though. Sometimes worse than others. I’ve driven bass boats for 15 years so I know better than to just stop when I come down, but obviously I need to play with it more because not everyone has this problem.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Nice review. One tip is if your boat doesn't have the FX cooler lid I would do the retrofit on it as it's a much heavier lid and I noticed ice lasting longer after I switched.
    Mine does have the FX style lid
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Agree completely about the leaky compartments. I just got a 17 zx225 and I was shocked at how bad they leak. My starboard rod locker doesn’t leak, it fills like the lid is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    So I've had my 2022 ZXR 20 for almost two years now. I bought the first one sold in the state of VA back in July of 2021. I wanted to give an honest review of the boat with pros and cons after tournament fishing with it for almost two years now.

*Side note: This is my first Skeeter/Yamaha, last three boats were all Triton/Mercury.

CONS:
    1. Leaky compartments. Every time it rains I have to take everything out of the starboard rod locker and the two rear compartments to let them air out.
    2. Cooler. Is there any insulation in them at all or is it just a plastic tray insert? They don't hold ice whatsoever. I'd also rather have the cooler placed at the step-up to the deck instead of between the two seats, but that's just me.
    3. Lack of a "catch-all tray". I wish there was somewhere to throw lures & soft plastics in the boat without having to open up a compartment.
    4. Humminbird. This isn't a Skeeter issue obviously, but unless you custom order - they come stock with Humminbirds. I'm less than impressed with them to say the least and will probably end up converting my trolling motor and graphs to all Lowrance.
    5. Livewells. I've never had issues keeping fish alive until this boat. Not sure what the deal is, but I spoke to another Skeeter owner who mentioned the same thing. And the pumpout/recirculate system is horribly engineereed IMO. Not sure why there can't be just a simple pumpout switch instead of having to pull the lever in the livewell to change from recirc to pumpout. Also, the pumpout location. I made a simple fix by putting a 3/8 plumbing fitting in the hole and use tubing to connect it every time I fill up my weigh bag, but still. This is poorly designed.
    6. Unused space beneath the step-up to the front deck. I know AMPD Marine makes an aftermarket drawer, but why can't Skeeter have something built in beneath there? It's completely wasted space.
    7. Fiberglass. To me it seems like the gel coat just holds onto dirt & grime much more than previous boats. I'm pretty good about wiping down my boat when I get home and use Bass Boat Saver after almost every trip, but it seems like it takes about 3 wipedowns for the fiberglass to really shine, and even then it seems almost dull sometimes. On previous boats, one wipedown with Bass Boat Saver would really make the fiberglass pop, give it a waxy feel, and protect it from a lot of dirt & grime. I can't really say the same for this one.
    8. Bow Riser Graph Mount. I like the location of it, and like how they have it up in front of the trolling motor mounted directly to fiberglass, but it seems very thin and cheap. Almost everyone is adding two graphs to the bow of boats these days, and you would think there would be a more convenient system from the manufacturer than what they have. I added a Precision Sonar dual stacker mount to the factory riser, and after a really nasty ride on the James River the factory riser broke. After that, I ordered a replacement bow panel from Precision Sonar, and basically had to disconnect the trolling motor, trolling motor tray, and trim some fiberglass to make it work. It just seems poorly engineered IMO.
    9. Lack of a splashwell. I like how it looks, and maybe I still need to get used to coming off plane with the boat, but it seems like I constantly flood the rear part of the back deck when I come off plane. And with the compartments leaking as bad as they do, that's a problem.
    10. Rod strap downs. The curve on the little latch constantly catches my line, especially on spinning tackle. It's a minor issue, but something a little more inline would be better IMO.
    Older FX but I have some of the same complaints... The leaking, I guess that's pretty much every Skeeter due to the Aluminum Deck design. I've gone through and tighened down screws as recommended, but water will still get in. It' annoying, and I won't buy another Skeeter (or any boat) with this type of deck design again :(.

My cooler works ok, but I did change out the lid, which as someone mentioned above does make a difference. But on a Hot Florida day I'll have slush ice by early afternoon.

The Pumpout Switch, it's a pretty standard setup on a lot of boats. There are boats that have nicer setups, ie remote pumpout switch and valves, but it's also something else buried in the bilge and they are prone to have problems from what I've read. Although, I can't tell you how many times I've not pushed that fitting back in and the next time started pumping out when I want to recirc lol...

Same complaint on the rod tie downs... I found that if you flip or "cam" the buckle up (instead of leaving it laying flat) when retracted, it tends to catch on line less.

I have other complaints - lack of under seat storage, bilge lid design, no center catch all/cooler setup (like basscat), and that it's not a ZX250 lol... but overall most of my complaints are personal preference type stuff... other than the leaky compartments

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtech32 View Post
    Like the review, love my ZXR21. I have yet to have an issue out mine, and I agree it is by far the Best Buy in bass boats.
    It was the Best Buy. Today I do t know if any of them including nitro could say Best Buy. Inflation as been a killer. In 2015 when the zx225 was brought back it was 48,995. In 2021 it was 54,995. On 7 years it increased 6k. Inflation was a killer. Glad I got my 21 when I did for 58.5k.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    It was the Best Buy. Today I do t know if any of them including nitro could say Best Buy. Inflation as been a killer. In 2015 when the zx225 was brought back it was 48,995. In 2021 it was 54,995. On 7 years it increased 6k. Inflation was a killer. Glad I got my 21 when I did for 58.5k.
    Your 2021 ZXR for $58k was a steal!

I paid $66K out the door for my 2022 with the new SHO cowling and hydraulic jackplate in August of 2021. I think right now they're going for what, $75K before taxes???
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    The leaking compartment lids seem like they should have been fixed by now. I just bought a ZXR and so far that is the only thing I absolutely hate!

14. Member
    I went and tested mine the other day to try and find the leaks. 17 zx225. The drains at the front of the lids had no sealant around them. Water was pouring in from the port and starboard side. Plus they were only finger tight. I loosened them and added some sealant then tightened up. With a hose it has stopped the leaking. Haven’t had rain to check it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    I went and tested mine the other day to try and find the leaks. 17 zx225. The drains at the front of the lids had no sealant around them. Water was pouring in from the port and starboard side. Plus they were only finger tight. I loosened them and added some sealant then tightened up. With a hose it has stopped the leaking. Haven’t had rain to check it yet.
    Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't understand what you're saying that you did. If it did in fact stop the leaking, would you mind shooting a picture of what you did? What are you saying was finger tight? What drains at the front of the lids?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    I’m not sure if the newer boats are the same as my 17 zx225 but in the port and starboard rod lockers there is a drain on the deck under the lids at the front corner that is on the deck. It’s a drain fitting that a hose hooks to underneath. That drain was loose and had no sealeant around it to seal it to the deck. The water was running under that and into the compartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim285pro View Post
    I’m not sure if the newer boats are the same as my 17 zx225 but in the port and starboard rod lockers there is a drain on the deck under the lids at the front corner that is on the deck. It’s a drain fitting that a hose hooks to underneath. That drain was loose and had no sealeant around it to seal it to the deck. The water was running under that and into the compartments.
    I’ll check that out
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

18. Member
    I own a 2008 20i and don’t have the issues you guys are talking about. My compartments stay dry (unless it’s a really heavy downpour), I have two coolers, one in the floor at the step up and one between the seats. I use the floor cooler mostly as a catch all/ waste basket but it holds ice well for long days in the water. I purchased AMP’d Marine day boxes that fit both the bilge area and center storage compartment for the occasional overflow stuff, plus I can “quick change” lure types for fishing conditions. My Skeeter has the pull out hose in the starboard live well setup to fill a weigh in bag. I went straight to aftermarket for my dual graphs up front. I only use a single twelve at the console but there are aftermarket brackets available for a dual setup. My gel coat shines well for a 15 year old boat. I’m always being stopped and asked if my boat is new! I don’t have a back wash problem coming off of plane since I lightened the load with my lithium batteries.

I LOVE the ride of this boat. I pass everyone on the water when the waves are rough. Glides right over them.

My only complaint (not really a complaint) or area of improvement is the two stroke HPDI. The annual maintenance is costly but necessary to keep this motor from coming apart. Plenty of power (72 mph) but I would like to have the new SHO 4 stroke.

19. Member
    I still dont know of a bass boat with water-tight compartments

20. Member
    Please do. My zxr21 is gone if me or the dealer doesn't get it 90% water tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast