Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I just never understood why they couldn't have utilized the launch are that was there and build a rock based break wall to block the feces and gunk from settling in that bay.

Easier said than done I guess. But hey they forgot to drill the area to see if it was solid for a ramp so they don't appear that far ahead of me on ideas and plans.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    I just never understood why they couldn't have utilized the launch are that was there and build a rock based break wall to block the feces and gunk from settling in that bay.
    Nope

That would send the sediment out all over the mile roads and destroy the spawning areas

Your looking to solve a manmade problem just to move it to another spot

You want to fix it close the manmade cutoff canal it was created so a bunch of other folks didn’t have to deal with the sediment

Too be fair it’s not all about the sediment

The cutoff is there to help with the rain runoff and the flooding it creates

But to get back on topic we need that site wait till this summer and see what Harley looks like on July 4th weekend

And if they close 9 mile it’s going to get ugly at the ramp

So we are stuck with the ACME DYNAMITE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
    Last edited by MichAngler; 05-19-2023 at 06:09 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

3. dartag1829
    The DNR is an interesting group. It took 10 years to move the Union Lake boat launch 1/2 mile south so you didn't have to cross the road to park. When it started it was 100k to put a light in with a pressure switch to stop traffic so you could cross to park in 32 spots. They paid 1.5 Million for the property they have now. The property to the North was owned by the bank. They diverted the money to buy it to something else. A guy that lives on the lake bought it from the bank and made a party house out of it. Now the launch is 22 spots but parking is on the same side of the road. After going to all the meeting about the launch nothing the DNR does suprises me.

I spent over a decade dealing with the DNR including meetings with a couple directors I can say they are unique people and difficult to sway

But many of the problems are caused by the folks in Lansing and after sitting in on a few of the meetings with state reps and the DNR I can say a bag of squirrels make more sense - Way to many egos with way to many agendas

So seeing how this construction is going is no surprise to me either

But keep asking questions!
    Unfortunately the majority of the answers will be "I don’t know" or "I can’t say" but the fact that they have to deal with this the faster they want this off their plate
    Last edited by MichAngler; 05-20-2023 at 06:30 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

5. dartag1829
    I went to a meeting with Dan Kimmel when Catch and Release was being debated. Lots of interesting comments from folk that had no idea what was being talked about. Glad they finally passed it. Wasn't St Clair closed until June 15th in the Old days. I know my lake was Memorial day but lots of Blue Gill fishing was done then.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    I went to a meeting with Dan Kimmel when Catch and Release was being debated. Lots of interesting comments from folk that had no idea what was being talked about. Glad they finally passed it. Wasn't St Clair closed until June 15th in the Old days. I know my lake was Memorial day but lots of Blue Gill fishing was done then.
    Traditional opener was and still is 3rd Saturday of June for LSC on our side, 4th Saturday for Canadian waters.

7. Member
    It doesnt matter what Dept, anything govmt is loaded with B.S. and red tape.

8. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Traditional opener was and still is 3rd Saturday of June for LSC on our side, 4th Saturday for Canadian waters.
    Yes that was when guys would be Blue Gill Fishing out there. Same as Union Lake that I live on.

UPDATE:

Well still not a whisper as to the drilling results

But they are there planting trees today

If you would like you can email chief of Parks – Ron Olson olsonr@michigan.gov and ask him the status of the launch (Please keep it civil)
    "The handicapped angler"

10. dartag1829
    Drove by yesterday. Nothing going on gate locked. It looks like the lot closest to the road is not even paved. Just gravel. Neat to see the little drive in across the street is still open. Ladies were on roller skates. Had dinner plans down the road so we didn't stop.
    Went to Metro Beach to check it out for next week. Rode bikes around. Stopped at the boat launch. Probably 20 trailers. Most from Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. Talked to 4 guys from Kentucky that just got there. Wind was howling out of the North. Told them they could launch and go around by the mile roads in close. It was calm on that side. So Hazy you could hardly see 9 Mile tower from the end of the point.

Well the news is not good

They didn’t give details as to the drilling results other than the current plan will not work

The contractor offered an alternative method of construction of the ramps for an extra One Million Dollars but stated they will not warrantee the work WTH?

The DNR as countered with a proposal of their own that you can bet costs less than a million and requires a warranty

No details on either proposal but the expected resolution is due in a week but may require more approvals

So now we hope they can come up with a workable solution soon but paying for it and implementing it is still going to take some time

Other news the Macomb Co Sheriff’s station is moving along and they are utilizing less of the parking lot
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-17-2023 at 05:10 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Well the news is not good

They didn’t give details as to the drilling results other than the current plan will not work

The contractor offered an alternative method of construction of the ramps for an extra One Million Dollars but stated they will not warrantee the work WTH?

The DNR as countered with a proposal of their own that you can bet costs less than a million and requires a warranty

No details on either proposal but the expected resolution is due in a week but may require more approvals

So now we hope they can come up with a workable solution soon but paying for it and implementing it is still going to take some time

Other news the Macomb Co Sheriff’s station is moving along and they are utilizing less of the parking lot
    Thanks for the update.

13. Member
    There was a truck there the other day spraying weeds in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    There was a truck there the other day spraying weeds in the parking lot.
    LOL well we wouldn’t want the site to look abandoned people might start asking questions
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    LOL well we wouldn’t want the site to look abandoned people might start asking questions

Exactly, maybe they will still pave it and put some playground equipment in or a splash pad.

16. Member
    They have planted trees in all the islands and mulched as well, it's really coming along

In Florida, we use floating docks, no permit is necessary. There are also ramps that we use that don't have any docks. You back in, get in the boat, back off and run the boat to the concrete or sand. Jump off and tie off the boat. Go and park.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123