Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Crocker Launch Delayed again

The official word is there is an issue with the “Fill” what that means is confusing and they are not being very clear on this

They are trying to get more funds and equipment to fix whatever this issue is

There are rumors floating about that the issue is that the ramps will sink due to the site being an old swamp and they failed to take in account the weight of the slabs and traffic

They are saying they still hope to open this year but no one I’ve talk to believes that this is possible
    "The handicapped angler"

2. Member
    Not surprising at all, the entire area used to be a swamp. Somebody didn't do their due diligence with soil and core samples.

Thanks for the update. Well that certainly stinks. Cooking more fuel each time I go because they haven't put it in yet. Plus the other ramps get more crowded.

4. Member
    I wish that 9 mile ramp would sink a couple of feet. I need to wear hip waders every time unless it’s during the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    I wish that 9 mile ramp would sink a couple of feet. I need to wear hip waders every time unless it’s during the Summer.
    Well you won't have to deal with that for long
    The St Clair Shore newsletter says this is the year they close 9 mile and start the sewage/runoff project required by the state
    They also say they are considering opening Blossom Heath to the public to replace 9 mile
    Now this has been discussed for years but it seems they are getting serious about it now

Another update on Crocker is they are having issues getting dredging equipment out there sighting cost increases and the bottom material being different than expected

Next they are aware of the Macomb County Sheriff construction using 10 to 15 percent of the parking spaces at Harley and are working to get them the clear that out – seems there is a delay in that project as well

last construction continues on the new Grayhaven site south of St Jeans but there is no confirmed date for an opening
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Whatever happened to the DNR building a ramp on Belle Isle?

7. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    That will take a while I bet. It took 10 years from the first meeting to complete moving the Union Lake ramp 1/2 mile South.

That one is no longer under consideration. The Grayhaven ramp was selected instead.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Member
    It certainly doesn't make sense to have two (public) ramps about a mile from each other so closing 9 mile wouldn't bother me once the new BH ramp opens. Don't get me wrong I've used 9 mile plenty of times and am thankful we had that option but once the Crocker ramp is finally finished, I see no rationale for keeping 9 mile open.

10. Member
    It makes perfect sense to me as a resident. They utilized 9 mile for non residents as it has more parking. It wasn't too long ago that 9 mile was only opened to SCS and Eastpointe residents. Blossom heath has no where near the amount of parking as 9 mile. Being a SCS resident, it will piss me off if they open Blossom to everybody. That may sound selfish, but I'm just being honest. I usually launch at Metro, but I also use Blossom quite a bit. The closing of 9 mile will make Blossom a cluster. We need more launches for sure, but there just isn't enough public land along the lake.
    Last edited by castforcash; 04-17-2023 at 04:11 PM.

Not to mention the canal for 9 mile is nice and wide and really only has traffic from people using the 9 mile launch

Wait till you use Blossom and deal with all that big boat marina traffic down a narrow canal

One time we got stuck in that canal due to a barge sideways in the canal with a work crew welding a seawall and a line of large boats behind us there was nowhere to go but sit there and wait for an hour
    "The handicapped angler"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Not to mention the canal for 9 mile is nice and wide and really only has traffic from people using the 9 mile launch

Wait till you use Blossom and deal with all that big boat marina traffic down a narrow canal

One time we got stuck in that canal due to a barge sideways in the canal with a work crew welding a seawall and a line of large boats behind us there was nowhere to go but sit there and wait for an hour
    That's a good point on the narrow canal part!

A little more info

The DNR ramp on Belle Isle is in the middle of a political fight between the city of Detroit and the DNR
    At this time you can launch Kayaks and Canoes but the city has block it off to anything larger

The Grayhaven site won’t be open for at least two years and some are already thinking it might be too small

Now on to the big news

They have been debating on how to deal with the small bridge about a quarter mile outside the entrance to Harley Ensign

Anyone that has visited this site knows this bridge is in real bad shape because they have put up construction cones narrowing it down to a one lane bridge with stop signs on either end

This bridge has been in need of replacement for decades and I’m not sure how much longer it will last and I’m guess they are wondering the same thing

The problem is this is the only way in for dozens of business and another dozen homes not to mention the access site and the Sheriff’s station

Personally the span is not that big and they could have a premade bridge constructed and trucked or barged in and most of the time would be the removal of the old bridge but this is a government job and I’m sure they will take forever
    "The handicapped angler"

14. Member
    Just throwimg ideas out there....this would take a lot of money and will probably not happen. Metro could turn the day sail into a huge ramp. They have the land where the overflow parking is that is utilized for ice fishing parking. With genos being shut down to ice fisherman, Metro has become the place to access the ice when we have it. Anyway, they would have to build some kind of break wall out into the lake. They could install a fish cleaning station and a really modern launch, but as I said it would be very expensive. That is the only land around I can think of where they could build a big modern launch.

15. Member
    Some good ideas but it's nice to see Detroit standing on the hose. Belle Isle facility would have been ideal for that end of the lake but corruption and stupidity plagues just about every large city it appears. Must be afraid that the fishing/boating crowd will wake up those passed out from drinking and smoking weed on the warm summer nights.

It seems Crocker is mistake after mistake. I still never understood why there was not a break wall constructed to allow the current set-up to be used essentially blocking the "sludge" to funnel in that area. Over simplifying it I'm sure.

The biggest concern is cutting their losses and scrapping the Crocker project. It'll probably end up in the courts and let the finger pointing begin on who bleeped that up.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

16. Member
    I also forgot about the canal at BH. And agree that the 9 mile parking lot is much larger than the one at Blossom. I drive over from Washtenaw county so I’m grateful both launches are open to non SCS residents and if local tax money pays for the maintenance and upkeep then I agree about making BH residents only. In any case both are closer to me but I choose to launch at Metro or Harley since I usually fish solo and there’s more docks there (but also more pleasure boaters). And once school’s out in mid June I stay away until after Labor Day cuz of the tuna boats. Agree there just isn’t enough public land to build any new access sites.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Not surprising at all, the entire area used to be a swamp. Somebody didn't do their due diligence with soil and core samples.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    It certainly doesn't make sense to have two (public) ramps about a mile from each other so closing 9 mile wouldn't bother me once the new BH ramp opens. Don't get me wrong I've used 9 mile plenty of times and am thankful we had that option but once the Crocker ramp is finally finished, I see no rationale for keeping 9 mile open.
    Blossom isn't building a new ramp. They installed a new floating dock and removed the light pole that was near waters edge. The work done at Blossom is a new fishing pier.

19. Member
    Drove by crocker today, all the equipment is gone....

20. Member
    Drove by crocker today, all the equipment is gone....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast