Thread: Massasecum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Massasecum

Hard to believe there was ice on the lake 10 days ago. The coolest water yesterday was 53 and the warmest 59. Took me a while to check the backs of pockets, but they were up there in 1'-3'. Best spots were over and behind last years reeds. 12 in the boat - up to 3#+, every one on a Rapala F11G. Would have hooked far less, had I not been able to see the strike or the fish. Ran into another guy that had a similar day (anchored by a 5#+) fishing dirt shallow too. Couldn't get a touch on RkCrawlers, Bandit 100, squarebill. Only tossed a jig a handful of times, and never got a jerkbait wet.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Nice job, that's a good day for sure.
    I've been struggling to catch them so far.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    On Massasecum today. Cold,windy and cold. Water was not higher than 52.7 but there was zero sun,I mean none. 6or7 fish caught all 12inches or better. I got a couple on swim baits and Russ got a good Fluke fish and a nice jig fish on some wood,others caught on chatterbait. Two or three other boats came and went. Off water by noon
    Red Sox in 6!

Sounds like you had a good time Phil,
    Glad you got out and caught some
    Anthrax

5. Member
    Contoocook River for 3 hours yesterday (Powdermill/covered bridge launch). 45 degrees in the main, water's high and ripping pretty good - enough so the backwaters above the ramp had significant current running through. Fished bits of all 4 BW, hoping to find them on the deeper outside bends, out of the flow. Managed one bite on a swimjig - a 2.5# LM that gave me every break in the book.

Motored back to the ramp to find an unattended vehicle. Called out a couple of times (in case they were shore fishing or having a moment in the John), brought the truck around and tooted the horn - nada. Took the pic as I was walking up on the truck and getting somewhat irate and loud. Get next to the window, and behold - there's a couple of GenZ kids in the front seat - a bit underdressed, considering the unseasonably cool weather. They were literally parking in the one place with a No Parking sign.

20230423_162410.jpg

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

6. Member
    Sounds like they wanted someone to catch them. I think they heard Jerry fishes around there every so often and were hoping he'd be the one to find them.

The sign clearly says no parking not no ×××king
    Anthrax

8. Member

Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

10. Member
    I may have to bring some paint and edit that sign!

Had a little after-work time at Clement (53 and biting pretty good - watch the gully above the launch, it's getting deep!) and Gregg (50 no movement shallow. There's a big pine up top that fell in a high % spot)

Edit: Franklin Pierce is just about full and 51 (53 at the inlet).
    Last edited by bassboat1; 04-27-2023 at 07:34 AM.

11. Member
    Let the worst of the rain pass and headed to Island Pond yesterday. Temp is still 52 everywhere, and the lake is 12"16" low still (makes for tough trailer loading). Got three bites in three hours, and put them all in the boat: 2# SM, a nearly 3# LM and a #4.35 smallmouth. Pattern was windblown shallow rock flats on a spinnerbait. Things that didn't work: squarebill in shallow rocks, Bandit 300 to 10'-12', jig, floating Rap.
    20230429_162615.jpg

12. Member
    Hit Clement yesterday and did good for only 4:30 hours,just as rain started we were getting off the water.
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    Got tired of waiting for joint compound to dry on a humid day and headed to Massasecum @4:00. Water's waaaay up!
    20230502_160948.jpg

Didn't think they'd move up into the bushes (still 51 degrees), so concentrated on rock points near flats. Got a decent smallie on my second cast (with a Hardcore flatside in Gold/Black - their Crank 3+ maybe?), and stuck with it after picking one shallow area apart with a spinnerbait for nada. The Hardcore was running right at 10', and I alternated with a Rapala DT10 (which was right at 12'-13'). Ended up with 13 - evenly split between them, with the odd fish on a Pointer as it was being zipped back to the boat.

I'm new to the DT series, but they cast great, the action is tight and they don't wear you out on the retrieve. The fish like them too I guess.
    zzz20221023_140902.jpg

Several schools of bait working the grass flat between the island and launch - nothing but slime darts around them though.

14. Member
    Warmest water @68 and first bed of the season at Stumpfield yesterday. Got a couple blowups on a buzzbait over the flats (water's still 8" high), but the jig did all the heavy lifting. Plenty of bait shallow there and at Massasecum on Wed.

Nice job
    68...the water is warming up. Unfortunately I haven't been out in a few weeks.
    Anthrax

16. Member
    Got out on Deering for a few after helping Mom out. Water's right at 61. Not much happening in Sunday's cold-frontish conditions. Got a 2# Larry up dirt-shallow and saw one other cruising. Scanned a bunch of flats - no beds of any sort.

BTW: that damaged concrete log in the Stumpfield ramp has gotten worse. Stay tight lakeside to avoid it...

17. Member
    Clement had very little going on yesterday water was low 60’s . Maybe saw a few beds but not many. Got a couple on Magdrafts big around 3.5ish. Wind was fierce. Thanks for the Stumpy tip,thinking of trying there this year.
    Red Sox in 6!

18. Member
    3.5 is pretty good there Phil. I hit the Merrimack @NHTI Saturday (they're getting ready to go - pics) and Powdermill late yesterday to avoid the wind.
    20230513_153015 (1).jpg20230513_153010.jpg
    Fixed the sign at Bennington too
    20230515_200007.jpg

Anthrax

Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast