Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suzuki SMG4 digital gauge explained

This is a “for information” post. Perhaps if Admin sees it they might make it a sticky.

SMG4 are now the standard Suzuki outboard digital gauges worldwide. Its even become the standard in the USA, although some dealers/users persist with the use of the Simrad IS-35 based C-10. Over time I suspect the SMG4 will completely dominate the US market as well.

Each engine needs its own SMG4 in much the same way as engines running analogue gauges need their own tachometer directly connected to their harness.

SMG4 is not a NMEA2000 display like C-10 or Garmin GMI engine displays. They will actually work on single engined boats without any NMEA2000 connection, with some limitations as mentioned below. But multiple engines do require their SMG4’s to be connected via a NMEA2000 network.

SMG4 connects to the engine harness behind the dash using a harness that is selected based on two main factors: the type of engine its connected to (either mechanical control or SPC fly by wire) or whether there is one engine or multiple engines on the boat. Gauge Kits are sold with the appropriate harnesses to suit the application.

When SMG4 is used, the harness connection at the engine needs to be connected to the SDS plug. It may need to be changed to there from the standard analogue output plug from the ecu.

SMG4 incorporates Suzuki’s troll mode feature that allows the engine rpm to be changed in 50rmp increments from 700rpm to a max of 1200rpm. A separate troll mode switch is no longer required. To activate troll mode, put the engine in gear at idle speed, and press and hold the menu button until it beeps and troll mode activates. Use the up and down arrows to adjust rpm.

NOTE that Troll Mode works on the 115, 140 and 200 SS models but not the 250SS. This seems to be a thing with the SS models as it works with pretty well all other models as far as I am aware.

If Troll Mode is important for you, I recommend that you check that its an option for the Suzuki model that you are comsidering.

SMG4 has proven very reliable so far. The rest of the world has had it since 2015, and the USA since 2019 or thereabouts. its had a few software updates mainly to add new features such as Troll Mode and auto trim (for some models)

Its been far less prone to issues than the engine interface/gateway based systems that mainly use the C-10 or SMIS displays. In those systems, the weak point was always the engine interface/gateway cable, with many issues of software compatibility and reliability cropping up all the time.

Some people with some earlier versions of SMG4 noted under-reporting of fuel use though this seems to have been resolved, and a very few cases of rebooting when core settings are changed (although that may actually be intended, and 99% of users would never need to go into those initial settings anyway)

SMG4 has a set of standard pages where the upper half of the display can be changed for a particular view:

- engine rpm
    -speed and fuel
    -fuel
    - all items
    - troll mode

And there is a set of sub-information options you can scroll thru on the lower left side of the page:
    - operating hours
    - trip time
    - trip distance
    - temp and voltage
    - instantaneous fuel flow
    - instantaneous total fuel flow (multiple engines)
    - instantaneous fuel economy
    - average fuel economy
    - total fuel used
    - lat/long coordinates.

To do the fuel economy, trip distance, speed and lat/long, they need to be connected to a NMEA2000 network that has a GPS source available. In the initial settings of the gauge, you must select GPS/SOG otherwise it defaults to water speed which is generally not available.

The gauge always shows trim position.

Customisation of the SMG4 is limited to showing the main readouts from a gauge type display to a numerical display. You cannot create custom pages of your own.

SMG4 also has a very neat feature where if the engine has a fault, you can generate a report and convert it to a QR code and send it via your mobile phone Suzuki app to your dealer, who can then see a fairly detailed report from the ecu that will help them to diagnose the issue and provide you with advice on the options available.

FUEL DATA
    SMG4 harnesses have connections available that fuel tank sender wires can be directly connected to. This fuel level will then display on the bar graph on the gauge. This can be calibrated on setup if necessary (eg to cater for irregularly shaped fuel tanks) but mostly is OK out of the box.

SMG4 will also show fuel used as a figure. It doesn’t show fuel remaining. When you refuel, the only option available is to reset this figure to zero. This will make partial fills where you add some fuel but dont fill the tank to full interesting, you will have to keep a manual note to know how much fuel you have left in such cases. You reset fuel to zero by pressing and holding either the up or down arrow button until it beeps. This resets fuel used, trip distance, average fuel economy all at once.

NMEA2000 connection
    SMG4’s have a plug on the back to enagle them to be connected to a NMEA2000 network. They will then share some engine info to the network which can then be shown on other displays, and also will receive info from the network if available. It doesnt send fault codes to the network but does send alarms eg temp, oil pressure, water in fuel and the like.

SMG4 sends the following info to the network:
    - engine temp
    -rpm
    - trim %
    - fuel flow (but NOT fuel used)
    - alternator voltage

It receives
    - GPS coordinates
    ​​​​​​- SOG
    - depth

Depending on the capabilities of your Sonar/chartplotter brand/model, it may use fuel flow from SMG4 to calculate and display fuel used/fuel remaining/trip fuel and the like.

Simrad and Lowrance users will probably want to add the Fuel Data Manager device to their networks (I did) to enable this fuel information to be calculated and displayed. Garmin has it inbuilt so doesnt need to add anything. Other brands - I dont know. Their owners manuals should shed light on this.

Here is a video from Suzuki Australia that runs thru the main features.

And one from Suzuki USA in case you cannot understand the King’s English in its purest Aussie form LOL!

At present there are a few users who have Garmin displays on their networks that seem to have compatibility issues, this does seem to be only a Garmin issue and not all users experience it. Suzuki did some software enhancements that improved this but a very small number of users still reported stability issues with the network when Garmin displays are connected to SMG4. Garmin does have some weird network data update settings which may be factors in this.

Integration with Simrad, Lowrance and other brands seems to go smoothly. All I had to do when it was all connected was to reset network data sources on one of my Lowrance displays and instantly everything then talked nicely together.

Any other questions - ask and I will answer if I know, or try to find out from my Suzuki sources.

Photo of my dash showing SMG4 and Simrad GO7xse used for engine data sourced from the gauge.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-27-2023 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks for posting!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    This is a “for information” post. Perhaps if Admin sees it they might make it a sticky.

SMG4 are now the standard Suzuki outboard digital gauges worldwide. Its even become the standard in the USA, although some dealers/users persist with the use of the Simrad IS-35 based C-10. Over time I suspect the SMG4 will completely dominate the US market as well.

Each engine needs its own SMG4 in much the same way as engines running analogue gauges need their own tachometer directly connected to their harness.

SMG4 is not a NMEA2000 display like C-10 or Garmin GMI engine displays. They will actually work on single engined boats without any NMEA2000 connection, with some limitations as mentioned below. But multiple engines do require their SMG4’s to be connected via a NMEA2000 network.

SMG4 connects to the engine harness behind the dash using a harness that is selected based on two main factors: the type of engine its connected to (either mechanical control or SPC fly by wire) or whether there is one engine or multiple engines on the boat. Gauge Kits are sold with the appropriate harnesses to suit the application.

When SMG4 is used, the harness connection at the engine needs to be connected to the SDS plug. It may need to be changed to there from the standard analogue output plug from the ecu.

SMG4 incorporates Suzuki’s troll mode feature that allows the engine rpm to be changed in 50rmp increments from 700rpm to a max of 1200rpm. A separate troll mode switch is no longer required. To activate troll mode, put the engine in gear at idle speed, and press and hold the menu button until it beeps and troll mode activates. Use the up and down arrows to adjust rpm.

SMG4 has proven very reliable so far. The rest of the world has had it since 2015, and the USA since 2019 or thereabouts. its had a few software updates mainly to add new features such as Troll Mode and auto trim (for some models)

Its been far less prone to issues than the engine interface/gateway based systems that mainly use the C-10 or SMIS displays. In those systems, the weak point was always the engine interface/gateway cable, with many issues of software compatibility and reliability cropping up all the time.

Some people with some earlier versions of SMG4 noted under-reporting of fuel use though this seems to have been resolved, and a very few cases of rebooting when core settings are changed (although that may actually be intended, and 99% of users would never need to go into those initial settings anyway)

SMG4 has a set of standard pages where the upper half of the display can be changed for a particular view:

- engine rpm
    -speed and fuel
    -fuel
    - all items
    - troll mode

And there is a set of sub-information options you can scroll thru on the lower left side of the page:
    - operating hours
    - trip time
    - trip distance
    - temp and voltage
    - average fuel economy
    - total fuel used
    - lat/long coordinates.

To do the fuel economy, trip distance, speed and lat/long, they need to be connected to a NMEA2000 network that has a GPS source available. In the initial settings of the gauge, you must select GPS/SOG otherwise it defaults to water speed which is generally not available.

Customisation of the SMG4 is limited to showing the main readouts from a gauge type display to a numerical display. You cannot create custom pages of your own.

SMG4 also has a very neat feature where if the engine has a fault, you can generate a report and convert it to a QR code and send it via your mobile phone Suzuki app to your dealer, who can then see a fairly detailed report from the ecu that will help them to diagnose the issue and provide you with advice on the options available.

FUEL DATA
    SMG4 harnesses have connections available that fuel tank sender wires can be directly connected to. This fuel level will then display on the bar graph on the gauge. This can be calibrated on setup if necessary (eg to cater for irregularly shaped fuel tanks) but mostly is OK out of the box.

SMG4 will also show fuel used as a figure. It doesn’t show fuel remaining. When you refuel, the only option available is to reset this figure to zero. This will make partial fills where you add some fuel but dont fill the tank to full interesting, you will have to keep a manual note to know how much fuel you have left in such cases. You reset fuel to zero by pressing and holding either the up or down arrow button until it beeps. This resets fuel used, trip distance, average fuel economy all at once.

NMEA2000 connection
    SMG4’s have a plug on the back to enagle them to be connected to a NMEA2000 network. They will then share some engine info to the network which can then be shown on other displays, and also will receive info from the network if available. It doesnt send fault codes to the network but does send alarms eg temp, oil pressure, water in fuel and the like.

- engine temp
    -rpm
    - trim %
    - alternator voltage

It receives
    - GPS coordinates
    ​​​​​​- SOG
    - depth

Depending on the capabilities of your Sonar/chartplotter brand/model, it may use fuel flow from SMG4 to calculate and display fuel used/fuel remaining/trip fuel and the like.

Simrad and Lowrance users will probably want to add the Fuel Data Manager device to their networks (I did) to enable this fuel information to be calculated and displayed. Garmin has it inbuilt so doesnt need to add anything. Other brands - I dont know. Their owners manuals should shed light on this.

And one from Suzuki USA in case you cannot understand the King’s English in its purest Aussie form LOL!

At present there are a few users who have Garmin displays on their networks that seem to have compatibility issues, this does seem to be only a Garmin issue and not all users experience it. Suzuki did some software enhancements that improved this but a very small number of users still reported stability issues with the network when Garmin displays are connected to SMG4. Garmin does have some weird network data update settings which may be factors in this.

Integration with Simrad, Lowrance and other brands seems to go smoothly. All I had to do when it was all connected was to reset network data sources on one of my Lowrance displays and instantly everything then talked nicely together.

Any other questions - ask and I will answer if I know, or try to find out from my Suzuki sources.

Photo of my dash showing SMG4 and Simrad GO7xse used for engine data sourced from the gauge.

I am looking at re-powering with a suzuki and looking at the SMG4, looks like its an either or situation. If you go with the SMG4 then you cannot have any analog gauges. The other thing the dealer told me is that its complicated to program and has to be installed by the dealer. I find that hard to believe but would like to know what installation instructions are provided or needed to install. Who can I obtain the information to set the unit up correctly.

Thanks

4. Member
    Ok I’m confused, which isn’t all that surprising. You mentioned it doesn’t show fuel remaining but there is clearly a fuel level reading on the display in the video. Is that actually reading the tanks sending unit?

5. Member
    Hi Bishoptf!

Correct, you cant have SMG4 and analogue gauges at the same time. They use a different gauge harness and there is only one place to connect it to.

Cant really think why you would possibly want the analogue gauges as well as SMG4, but anyway….

Its also very easy to link SMG4 to your NMEA2000 network and be able to display all info it sends to the network on any networked MFD. Just add a T to the existing backbone and run a drop cable from the N2K plug on the back of SMG4 to it.

I havent done a fresh bare bones SMG4 install myself but I have looked thru the initial settings menu on mine and the terminology is a bit cryptic and confusing in parts, which makes it harder than It possibly should be. In some parts, It was difficult to know which of the options should be selected as it just wasnt apparent from their names.

I will give you one of the easier examples of how things that need to be done aren’t at all obvious.

To allow SMG4 to take GPS data (speed, GPS coordinates etc) from a networked GPS source, so it can calculate snd display mpg, trip distance etc, you have to go into the initial settings, find the page for Sensors, select Water Speed, and turn it off.

There is no setting to turn GPS on or off, you just turn Water Speed off. This isnt mentioned in the installation manual, you just have to “know” it. From training or experience. There are probably another half a dozen or more settings like that, where you just have to know what to select.

Dealership staff get trained in these new engines and gauges and that training obviously tells them far more than is printed in the installation instructions.

I had a copy of version 1 SMG4 installation instructions but dont have the latest ones, and software and functions with the current version has changed quite a bit so I assume that installation and configuration also has.

The other thing is that dealers are, according to their dealership agreement, required to install the engine and certify that it has been connected up to a gauge so that the engine’s alarm and warning systems have been installed, tested and fully operational when it is delivered to the customer. This is part of the warranty registration procedure. If they don’t do that they can lose their Suzuki dealership.

So honestly, the dealer is the best people to install and configure the gauge.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-20-2023 at 01:52 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Ok I’m confused, which isn’t all that surprising. You mentioned it doesn’t show fuel remaining but there is clearly a fuel level reading on the display in the video. Is that actually reading the tanks sending unit?
    The fuel bar graph is reading from the tank’s sender unit/s. The tanks sender wires are connected directly to the SMG4 harness. You can have up to 4 tanks connected. So what you see in that bar graph is exactly what you would see on a analogue fuel gauge. Really, as you know, thats just a rough guide.

To clarify what I was saying, SMG4 reports fuel used as a number eg 25 gallons used. Its very accurate. But it does not subtract that from the tank capacity to report X gallons remaining. You have to do that mental arithmetic yourself. Other gauges such as C-10 do give a fuel remaining figure.

I have my SMG4 networked to my Simrad and Lowrance displays, and added the Fuel Data Manager device to the network, so I now get fuel used, trip fuel used, seasonal fuel used, fuel remaining and a bunch of other fuel averages on the Simrad TripIntel pages.

7. Member
    Hi Bishoptf!

Correct, you cant have SMG4 and analogue gauges at the same time. They use a different gauge harness and there is only one place to connect it to.

Cant really think why you would possibly want the analogue gauges as well as SMG4, but anyway….

Its also very easy to link SMG4 to your NMEA2000 network and be able to display all info it sends to the network on any networked MFD. Just add a T to the existing backbone and run a drop cable from the N2K plug on the back of SMG4 to it.

I havent done a fresh bare bones SMG4 install myself but I have looked thru the initial settings menu on mine and the terminology is a bit cryptic and confusing in parts, which makes it harder than It possibly should be. In some parts, It was difficult to know which of the options should be selected as it just wasnt apparent from their names.

I will give you one of the easier examples of how things that need to be done aren’t at all obvious.

To allow SMG4 to take GPS data (speed, GPS coordinates etc) from a networked GPS source, so it can calculate snd display mpg, trip distance etc, you have to go into the initial settings, find the page for Sensors, select Water Speed, and turn it off.

There is no setting to turn GPS on or off, you just turn Water Speed off. This isnt mentioned in the installation manual, you just have to “know” it. From training or experience. There are probably another half a dozen or more settings like that, where you just have to know what to select.

Dealership staff get trained in these new engines and gauges and that training obviously tells them far more than is printed in the installation instructions.

I had a copy of version 1 SMG4 installation instructions but dont have the latest ones, and software and functions with the current version has changed quite a bit so I assume that installation and configuration also has.

The other thing is that dealers are, according to their dealership agreement, required to install the engine and certify that it has been connected up to a gauge so that the engine’s alarm and warning systems have been installed, tested and fully operational when it is delivered to the customer. This is part of the warranty registration procedure. If they don’t do that they can lose their Suzuki dealership.

So honestly, the dealer is the best people to install and configure the gauge.
    Thanks for the information, I am in the processes of looking at re-powering an older boat and thinking of going with a sizuki but I was thinking of just having them mount the engine and I was going to do all the rigging which really is not that complicated but thats a shame that it's not more straight forward since it really shouldn't be that difficult. That makes me lean towards wanting to just stay with analog gauges but I will do some more research and see if I can find anything. I know internationally they have been using something like the SMG4 for many years so maybe there is something out there.

8. Member
    Internationally they have been using SMG4 since 2015.

Its the only digital Suzuki gauge available anywhere outside the USA.

Surely the dealer isn’t going to charge more that a couple of hours labour to go from having hung the motor on the transom, to having run the control cables and harnesses and installed the SMG4?

No holes to cut, SMG4 fits in the standard tacho hole.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-24-2023 at 10:25 PM.

9. Member

What gauge/harnesses can I use on 2006 DF150

NOTE that Troll Mode works on the 115, 140 and 200 SS models but not the 250SS. This seems to be a thing with the SS models as it works with pretty well all other models as far as I am aware.

If Troll Mode is important for you, I recommend that you check that its an option for the Suzuki model that you are comsidering.

- engine rpm
    -speed and fuel
    -fuel
    - all items
    - troll mode

- operating hours
    - trip time
    - trip distance
    - temp and voltage
    - average fuel economy
    - total fuel used
    - lat/long coordinates.

FUEL DATA

NMEA2000 connection

- engine temp
    -rpm
    - trim %
    - alternator voltage

It receives
    - GPS coordinates
    ​​​​​​- SOG
    - depth

Moonlighter,
    I am hoping you can guide me to a solution for upgrading my instrumentation. I have a 2007 Seafox center console with a single 2006 Suzuki DF150. It’s not clear to me if I can connect to SDS connector next to ECM for providing engine data. I only have analog instruments at present. I am willing to install the required harnesses and gauge. I’m just not sure which gauge and associated harnesses might be applicable.

Thanks in advance,
    Capt Rick

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbburke2 View Post
    Moonlighter,
    I am hoping you can guide me to a solution for upgrading my instrumentation. I have a 2007 Seafox center console with a single 2006 Suzuki DF150. It’s not clear to me if I can connect to SDS connector next to ECM for providing engine data. I only have analog instruments at present. I am willing to install the required harnesses and gauge. I’m just not sure which gauge and associated harnesses might be applicable.

Thanks in advance,
    Capt Rick
    Hi Rick

You cant use the SMG4 gauge. Not compatible with engines prior to 2015.

To do digital, you would need to use the Suzuki engine interface cable based system, and a gauge such as a C-10.

The problem that you have is your engine year - 2006 engines aren’t supported by the currently available interface cables. The current 2.9.4 version cable only supports back to 2008 model year engines. Some people have tried them with earlier engines, and to be honest, it seems like something of a crap-shoot as to whether it works or not.

The best solution is to get an old model interface cable (used) and load it with version 2.30 software. These cables are able to be distinguished from the current models by the two walnut sized noise suppressors that they have.

The problem is actually getting one - they are highly sought after by people doing exactly what you want to do. Sometimes you can find them at Suzuki dealers who do repowers and have kept them from older engines. But they are getting rarer, and more expensive.

If you can get one, the following is whats needed to set it all up:

1. the interface cable

2. a NMEA20000 starter kit (if your boat doesn’t already have a NMEA2000 network installed. If already there, just need an extra T to plug the interface cable into)

3. A SIMS to SDS adapter cable. One end of this cable plugs into the SDS plug on the engine, the interface cable plugs into the other end. Also, because your engine will have a large round 8 pin SDS plug and the adapter cable has a small rectangular 4 pin plug, you need to pull 3 wires out of the round plug and insert them into a rectangular plug. Not difficult to do and I can tell you which wires to use and which plug to get. I can also send you details on how to make your own SIMS to SDS adapter cable - again its very easy to do and will save you $$$. The adapter cable should be made long enough to run from the engine, back through the rigging tube into the boat, and up to your console.

4. a suitable digital gauge to display the engine info on. You can use a C-10 or, if you keep the analogue tach (so you will still get engine fault codes on the lights) you can use a Simrad IS-35 or a Garmin GMI-20, or, you can display the data on your sonar/gps display if it has that capability. Lots of options. But only the C-10 will show the fault codes which then allows you to remove the analogue tacho.

Anyway lets leave it at that for the moment until you decide if you want to go ahead and if you actually can find the interface cable.

11. Member

If you can get one, the following is whats needed to set it all up:

1. the interface cable

2. a NMEA20000 starter kit (if your boat doesn’t already have a NMEA2000 network installed. If already there, just need an extra T to plug the interface cable into)

3. A SIMS to SDS adapter cable. One end of this cable plugs into the SDS plug on the engine, the interface cable plugs into the other end. Also, because your engine will have a large round 8 pin SDS plug and the adapter cable has a small rectangular 4 pin plug, you need to pull 3 wires out of the round plug and insert them into a rectangular plug. Not difficult to do and I can tell you which wires to use and which plug to get. I can also send you details on how to make your own SIMS to SDS adapter cable - again its very easy to do and will save you $$$. The adapter cable should be made long enough to run from the engine, back through the rigging tube into the boat, and up to your console.

4. a suitable digital gauge to display the engine info on. You can use a C-10 or, if you keep the analogue tach (so you will still get engine fault codes on the lights) you can use a Simrad IS-35 or a Garmin GMI-20, or, you can display the data on your sonar/gps display if it has that capability. Lots of options. But only the C-10 will show the fault codes which then allows you to remove the analogue tacho.

Anyway lets leave it at that for the moment until you decide if you want to go ahead and if you actually can find the interface cable.
    I just did this EXACT scenario to bring NMEA data to my Gamins at the dash and 100% the way to go in my opinion. It makes so much data available and you can just attach any NMEA200 compatible display (which include almost all mid tier to higher end fishfinders/chart plotters) device to the network and it will pick up avail data. Once the NMEA network is in there you can add all kinds of additional sensors like livewell temps or the voltage on your house battery/batteries.

Right now there are a couple of lowrance 7" graphs in the for sale section that are as cheap as the C10, are bigger, will do the same engine data, and still be a mapping device or fish finder.
    "Now beaver you are truckin' with the Rubber Duck and I'm about to pull the plug on your drain"

12. Member
    Delete
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-01-2023 at 04:06 PM.

13. Member
    10-4, That did not give me all the options I wanted without still having a NMEA network. You get plenty of Suzuki data but nothing else. I actually choose NMEA over that config (or doing both) because I wanted additional data on my displays you can only get via NMEA. From house batt voltage to sharing waypoints/trails the pros of NMEA outweigh not having that specific fault data. I will do livewell temp sensors as the summers can be a little steamy here.

NMEA network is not complicated at all. It is round peg/square hole stuff and the single biggest config issue is a missing or bad terminator.

New DF140BT bought about 2 months ago.
    Last edited by 354vZuk140; 11-30-2023 at 11:08 AM.
    "Now beaver you are truckin' with the Rubber Duck and I'm about to pull the plug on your drain"

14. Member
    Moonlighter,
    Thank you for your reply it is very generous of you to take the time to educate an old timer like me. As you indicated that interface cable is all but non existent. I will continue to look on eBay etc. But I fear I’m not going to find it. Honestly I’m really just looking for a fuel management capability. I do have an old Faria Fuel Manager gauge that reads a flow sender in the fuel line. Unfortunately it is starting to give me trouble with the push buttons. I thought I might get lucky and go digital using my Raymarine Element MFD.

Thank you again!
    Rick

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbburke2 View Post
    Moonlighter,
    Thank you for your reply it is very generous of you to take the time to educate an old timer like me. As you indicated that interface cable is all but non existent. I will continue to look on eBay etc. But I fear I’m not going to find it. Honestly I’m really just looking for a fuel management capability. I do have an old Faria Fuel Manager gauge that reads a flow sender in the fuel line. Unfortunately it is starting to give me trouble with the push buttons. I thought I might get lucky and go digital using my Raymarine Element MFD.

Thank you again!
    Rick
    No problems, happy to be able to help.

If you need anything else let me know.

16. Member
    Deleted. Off topic.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-01-2023 at 04:09 PM.

17. Member
    That Connect Gateway cable must still be connected to a NMEA2000 network to work. Same as the standard interface cable.

The new B series 115’s and 140’s are great motors. I got a 115B earlier this year. Strong, quiet and amazingly fuel efficient.

What gauge did you go with? The SMG4?

Here in Australia and the rest of the world, SMG4 is the only digital gauge available. They don’t sell the C-10 anywhere else than the US.
    I was a hard decision between the 140 and 150 but it was the weight that made me choose the 140 since it almost 100 lbs lighter and I am not speed daemon.

I have no Suzuki gauges or any "gauge" at all other than on two diff fish finders. I was trying to be frugal. I already had the Garmin and HBird and the standard interface cable was cheaper by about 100 even with the adapter cable. Not having to buy a gauge was also a factor. Saved that money. Seeing the faults was expensive for me compared to what I had in the boat already. And it is a Suzuki and they have no faults!!!! lol

This is the page I will use most of the time while running. The Humminbird looks a little more robust and customizable at first glance.

garmin-engine-display.jpg
    Last edited by 354vZuk140; 11-30-2023 at 08:43 PM.

18. Member
    Deleted. Off topic.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-01-2023 at 04:09 PM.

19. Member
    I think I confused things when I said "this is exactly what I did"... should have had a "minus the C10" in there. I was looking for the cheapest way to see engine data and this is it if you already have a fishfider that is a NMEA 2000 compatible display.
    I am actually still finishing some other stuff on it and have not even turned the motor over yet at this point.

This is why those 7" Lowrance units would serve as a great gauge.

Here is what I am using in addition to the NMEA network run to my Garmin and HBird.
    Engine Interface Cable ($110)
    https://suzukioutboardmarine.com/pro...terface-cable/
    SMIS Gauge Adapter ($62)
    https://suzukioutboardmarine.com/pro...gauge-adapter/

Last edited by 354vZuk140; 11-30-2023 at 09:30 PM.

20. Member
    Deleted. Off topic.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-01-2023 at 04:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast