Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I exclude boats with side rod lockers?

Never had an aluminum boat with center rod storage. I "think" that is what I want. Internet search seems to heavily favor center rod lockers over port side.

If I use this as a filter for my new boat search, it takes out a lot of boat choices. I carry eight rod/reels from 6'8" to 7'0". Seems the side storage is a bit of a cluster just piling them in. How do you keep them separate? Don't want to mess with rod sleeves.

It does include the new Lowe Stinger 178 and the Lund 1775 Renegade. Both on my very short list.

What ya'll say?

My current setup on my utility boat is a totally different deal, so I don't have a reference point with side storage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have had both as I have owned several boat with different designs.

I have an RT188 aluminum Ranger right now. It has center rod storage with tubes and I would not change one thing about the setup. I am very happy with it. It holds all the rods i need or could want to carry. I like center box rod storage. It is roomy and easy to get rods in and out.

I really like center rod box storage and I have had both designs.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Center rod storage was a requirement when I was shopping 10 years ago and I ended up with the RT188. It fits my fishing style just as I thought it would. I carry 8 rods and 6 3700 tackle trays and it keeps everything I need organized and convenient.
    if I had any contacts at Ranger I would make one suggestion.
    I would move the hinges for the starboard and port front lockers about 4 inches further in from the gunwale. You could still access the interior space and this gives more room to lay your rods on the deck. I occasionally open those lockers and some times have to move my rods.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    I have a Crestliner Bass Hawk with the rod locker in the center. My last boat was a Crestliner VT18 where I could keep the rods in any of the three bow storage compartments, and I used port side.

I love my Bass Hawk, but I think side rod storage is more convenient.

Think about being out on the water with rods on the deck; they block the side compartments. When fishing, I’m in the tackle compartment more than I’m in the rod compartment. I much prefer tackle in the center so it’s not blocked by rods on the deck.

5. Member
    I have a 198P with center and port rod lockers. Both have rod tubes. I keep my spinning rods in the port locker and bait casters in the center locker. I can store enough Planos down each side of the center locker for a couple days on the water with easy access.

6. Member
    I had a boat with side storage and it was a PITA to get rods out. The RT188 has abundant storage for my dozen rods and six 3700 Plano boxes. I keep a "day box" with 5 3700 boxes and terminal tackle on the deck and use side storage for cushions and extra tackle. I've owned and fished out of a lot of boats in 50 years and the RT is the best all around.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    If most boats had a side storage like this Lund, then it would be a whole different situation. This makes sense as you can keep them separate and it's very wide so they don't have to be stacked on top of each other. Most I see are half this wide.

Renegade-Bow-Deck-Storage-Compartments-Open.png

8. Member
    20230405_154636.jpg20230405_154618.jpg

this is what I did with my 22 ranger rt198p and I love it! as you cab see I took out the tubes on port side and cut an opening and framed it. then used the center storage for all my tackle! yes I have to much! lol. I love it this cause I usually get out 5-8 rods for the day and don't have to get back in the port rod locker. this way I can access all my tackle without having to move around my rods on the deck. I had to do that in my old g3 and it was a pain

9. Member
    Had a Tracker 175txw with port and starboard rod lockers. The ends of the tubes were curved along the side of the hull. I used rod socks but just didn't lie the fact that the rods were staying stored like that when I was not fishing. Ended up using the side rod lockers for storing other stuff and putting straps on the deck to store my rods so they were at least flat and straight. Luckily i live in a neighborhood where theft was not a problem and could get away with it being like that during fishing seasons which I would bring them in the garage when the cover went on for good for the winter. New Targa on order and can't wait to utilize those gunnel rod lockers and have the entire center rod locker for 3700 storage much like Bassin74. With rod socks, 6 rods in each gunnel locker is what I'm being told which will cover my 3 Muskie bait casting rods, 3 bass bait casters and 3 spinning rods. Never side rod lockers again unless it's a longer boat with no curvature in the storage tubes.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

10. Member
    My 2018 Tracker PT190 has the center rod locker and I prefer that arrangement.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

11. #FRB
    I've had both and I could go either way. Usually I'll pull out all the rods I think I'm gonna use at the beginning. I also have a hatred for rod organizers especially if they can't be completely removed.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    I prefer my tackle in the center and rods in the side compartment.

My last boat only had center rod storage and I hated it. Every time I needed something I had to move the rods on the deck to get into the side compartment!

13. Member
    I prefer the center rod storage and a dual console in boats less than 20'.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post

My last boat only had center rod storage and I hated it. Every time I needed something I had to move the rods on the deck to get into the side compartment!
    that's exactly how my old g3 was and it sucked! pretty much why I did my mod on mine that's in the post

15. Member
    Tackle in the center. Im in n out of that non stop, if it was on the side Id constantly be moving rods. I almost never have rods in the locker anyways. Boats stored in doors. Id only put them in there id Im stopping to go in a store or something to or fro which is mega rare.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post

This issue depends on the boat design. On the Ranger RT188, there are side slots in the huge center rod box on both sides of the rods. These slots or vertical trays hold about 8 Plano type 3700 boxes. That is plenty of room for things you need to access most of the time.

I might have 6 rods on the deck. They are on both sides of me laying on the deck. They are not in sleeves because I am using them. If I had my other rods in side storage, I have to MOVE rods to open the lids. These rods have hooks and line exposed and it is a real hassle. With the RT, if I need another rod or about 90% of the baits I use, I can leave all my gear on both sides alone and open the center box lid which is huge....and not move anything.

Much better.. IF it has the vertical 3700 box storage trays.
    RT188

17. Member
    The current RT188s don't have that side storage space. The newer design is quite different, and not necessarily better

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    The current RT188s don't have that side storage space. The newer design is quite different, and not necessarily better
    I didn't know they had changed that.... I went to the website and if you go to the gallery photos for the RT188, it shows the 3700 boxes down both sides and it is what they call their 2023 current model. I am not in the market anyway but this center rod storage WITH the vertical tackle box storage also in the huge center box is one thing I really really like about my boat. It just has most of my commonly used tackle and my rods under one lid and I don't have to move a bunch of stuff to access it.
    RT188

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I didn't know they had changed that.... I went to the website and if you go to the gallery photos for the RT188, it shows the 3700 boxes down both sides and it is what they call their 2023 current model. I am not in the market anyway but this center rod storage WITH the vertical tackle box storage also in the huge center box is one thing I really really like about my boat. It just has most of my commonly used tackle and my rods under one lid and I don't have to move a bunch of stuff to access it.
    Oh, that's good they reintroduced that, we looked at a new shape hull a year or so ago and noted that it didn't have the side storage.

20. Member
    I certainly wouldn't.....

I far prefer my tackle in the center storage...... just more convenient as I'm in both of them pretty much every time I'm on the water. Plus the compartments are wider. My rods are strapped to the deck before I launch the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast