Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by cmclairday2 View Post
    Mike, do you shoot suppressed? Just curious. I’ve been shooting suppressed for years, and I can assure you even with supers it makes a big difference. You can’t do anything about the bullet breaking the sound barrier, but it makes a huge difference
    Mark I have a couple cans for my powder burners and they do reduce perceived dbs but not to the point of elimination of ear pro. 5 years ago I ventured into the PCP air gun world and my other weapons sit idle. My favorite .357 Mega Pitbull I use for deer is internally suppressed and very quite. Best part is it's not considered a firearm and BATF unregulated. I urban deer hunt and do some deer eradication at a few vineyards. No sound no issues.

Example:

Your never going to achieve that level of db reduction with a powder burner.

2. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Well no, if you're comparing air rifles to conventional, you'll never see that range of dB readings, even with subsonics.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

3. mikesxpress
    Acquisition of a suppressor should be tempered with realistic expectations. Most already know your not going to get a "movie" level of noise reduction. If your not going the subsonic ammo route the db reduction is minimal. Subsonic ammo in a semi auto will most likely require some level of adjustment to the weapon to allow it to run consistently. Frogmen using CQC .300 BLKout subsonic suppressed rounds requires the armorer to make extensive adjustments to the gas system for specific rounds being used. Switch rounds, more adjustments.

I think if we ever get to the point of suppressors being removed from BATF oversight under the guise of noise reduction for the shooter it will change allot of things. For one the costs will come down dramatically and allot more advances in internal suppression will be available. This would allow for more db reduction without a huge can hanging off your weapon.

4. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    I can see your opinion on this. However, I would hardly catalog 20 to 30 dB of sound reduction as minimal, especially with the understanding that Hollywood quiet isn't attainable and you cant do anything about sonic boom. I've got experience with many suppressors, and many different host weapons. I've had commercial cans that offered great suppression with supersonic rounds, and have commercial cans that provide "minimal" results. I've had the same experience with my own builds. Barrel length plays a large role in effectiveness of a suppressor. Nothing is going to sound good on a 10.5" 5.56 AR, where as on a 16" to 20", the same suppressor can work wonders. Bolt action rifles vs semi autos make a lot of difference as well when it comes to dB levels at the shooters ear.
    As far as running subs, I've owned around 20, 300 blk uppers, some builds and some purchases. Only two of those have ever required any tinkering at all to get to run, and that was simple changes to buffer weight and running 16" barrels. Almost all 300 blk subsonics will run even more reliably suppressed vs unsuppressed when ran in the 8" to 10.5" platform with a pistol length gas system, when running factory ammo. If you're handloading to really choke it down of course it can but I've never had any problem with out of the box 200 to 220 grain, getting it to cycle. Almost in any case, a carbine weight buffer is all that's needed for 300 blk subs shooting suppressed to operate. Its when you pull the can off that the problems can happen with subs. But anyhow.
    I do agree that regulation of suppressors is idiotic, when in countries with much stricter gun laws they are readily available for purchase, if not even required for shooting in public areas. There has been a lot of advance in suppression over the years. When you also look at the exotic metals available for use, stellite, inconel, titanium, etc, the weights have never been lighter. Size is always going to be something to contend with on higher pressure rounds. You cant overcome all the gas pressure without some volume.
    All in all, I'm a big fan of shooting suppressed. I think its uncivilized to shoot without one
    Last edited by cmclairday2; 04-20-2023 at 01:41 PM.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

I have limited actual use time but what i have has been incredible. 22lr pistols suck for noise, but not supressed, even supers out of pistols are sub sonic. And like i said 556 out of a 30 cal can is sweet so i got a similar one started. Movies are stupid though

6. Member
    Just got into the fishing but have been a firearms dealer for years. Have a manufacturing license so i have access to some cool toys!

Oh i got my can over a month ago and super happy with it and it only took 5 months for papers to return!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12