Struggling on Badin...

Been here for a few days. Only get to fish the few early hours of the morning (6-9ish) and so far only one on topwater. I fished a cove this morning down close to the dam that had laydowns all in it...was there at sunup and heard bass busting all around me. I threw everything at them...walking bait, showerblows, popper, frog, squarebill, swimjig, lipless, chatterbait, dropshot and neko. Fished the entire pocket without a bite. Then went back through again with a weightless senko. I did have one solid one but pulled me into a laydown and I got broke off. So my question is: It looks like there was a tournament going on...does anyone know how I can find out the results of that tournament? Would just love to hear how people caught them the last day or two. I am trying to learn more...but it's hard sometimes when you feel like you did everything right. I could see tons of bait and could see bass on livescope relating to those bait balls. But just couldn't get them to commit to anything. I do feel like they are very pressured...while I was in that pocket, at least 10 other boats came and went. I'm wondering if I need to just go finesse Thanks!

2. Member
    The bass are on, and coming off the beds. Weights in the 3 fish tourny Wend from 6-9 were fairly low, took only 8.5lbs to win. I saw tons of fry which makes sense with the low weights. You're on the right track fishing laydowns and wood. I'd also be skipping that senko up under every dock I could in the backs of the small pockets in the circle drive area. Not seen much schooling bass activity lately, I suspect you were sitting on a school of perch or something.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

3. Member
    I fished it last Thursday. Only bass fished about 2 hours. I found a good school of crappie...............and well let's just be honest, I returned to my youth and enjoyed watching a bobber go under. Oh, did I mention I love to eat crappie. Sorry, I digress................In that 2 hours I caught 5 that would have went about 13 lbs. They were all shallow and in grass. Not sure if this helps but good luck.
    2021 Ranger Z185
    Mercury Pro XS 150
    Ultrex 80
    Helix 7 & 9
    Garmin Livescope
    Garmin GPSMap 1022
    Power Pole Blades

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipping6.5 View Post
    I fished it last Thursday. Only bass fished about 2 hours. I found a good school of crappie...............and well let's just be honest, I returned to my youth and enjoyed watching a bobber go under. Oh, did I mention I love to eat crappie. Sorry, I digress................In that 2 hours I caught 5 that would have went about 13 lbs. They were all shallow and in grass. Not sure if this helps but good luck.
    Yeh I fished this afternoon in grass. What did you use? I was fishing a swim jig white but no luck. Thanks

5. Member
    When the bass are spawning your best bet is to put down ALL moving baits. Flip and pitch creature baits around hard structures. Use any lure that imitates an animal that would attack fri or the bed itself.

6. Member
    Flipping a craw bait. It was cloudy most of the day so I went with...........................black and blue.
    2021 Ranger Z185
    Mercury Pro XS 150
    Ultrex 80
    Helix 7 & 9
    Garmin Livescope
    Garmin GPSMap 1022
    Power Pole Blades

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipping6.5 View Post
    Flipping a craw bait. It was cloudy most of the day so I went with...........................black and blue.
    Thanks! Yeh, that next morning I went out and flipped a craw bait and caught a nice one. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I was just fishing a little too fast. Sooo many guys fishing tho...as I left the cove I was fishing, saw 5 more boats in line to go through that cove. I'm not sure I'll be back to badin...haven't seen that many bass fishermen in such a small area in awhile. Beautiful lake but it was hard to find an area that wasn't covered up.