Fractures in gel coat

My 201d cobra is now 23 yrs old. As each year goes by there are more and more very visible fractures in the gel coat on the cap rails just above the rub rope, going perpendicular to the rail. Anyone else have this happening and any way to prevent them?

2. Fishing is a Passion
    Sounds like a prior gel coat repair that is getting old.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    It happens over time as the fiberglass gets more brittle and the boat flexes. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, Cobras were notorious for gelcoat cracks
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdempsey18 View Post
    It happens over time as the fiberglass gets more brittle and the boat flexes. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, Cobras were notorious for gelcoat cracks
    I didn't know that gel coat spider web cracks were common on Cobra, especially since my 2002 201DC doesn't have any on the top cap or other areas.
    Was this on older model? since there is a different bonding method in bonding the top cap after the 2000 model.
    I have had mine come clear out of water in 4'+ with very solid landing without issues.

5. Member
    My cobra is from 2000. Has been stored under boat cover all these yrs in hot summer weather. Maybe wouldnt have happened if I stored it in a garage

6. Member
    I'm not sure. Every cobra I've ever seen in person has them and you can find all sorts of threads about it searching on here, but I'm not sure what years any of them were. My 2000 201 has them all over the top cap
    2017 Phoenix 721 Pro XP
    2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS

My Cobra is a 1997 and don't have any cracks in the top cap like described. I do have plenty in corners and joints though. I don't worry about them at all. I do store my boat outside with a cover too.

Tom

Mine developed them in the summer of 2011 when we had 100 days over 100 degrees and the boat was outside but under a tarp. I bought a different boat three years ago and pay the money to have it in storage just to avoid the cosmetic issues heat and sun will cause on gel coat. Alwqays regretted not building an aweing for the boat.