Thumbs Up Options help for new Crestliner XF 179

Hello,

I wanted to get everyone's opinions for a few options on my first tin bass boat. As the title says it's a 2023 Crestliner XF I'm in the process of ordering.

1. The first item I'm debating is the hydraulic steering... anybody think this $1800 option is worth it if I'm running a 90 HP 4-stroke in a 17.5 ft. Crestliner XF ?? Is the OEM cable steer good enough and easy to turn ?
    2. Does Hydraulic steering automatically include "tilt steering" option ? Or would I also have to add tilt steering to get that as well?
    3. Should I get the 2200LB Bunk Galvanized Trailer..... ? As opposed to the standard basic black painted trailer...

Any comments / insight is appreciated.

2. Member
    I don't think you'll need the hydraulic steering with a 90HP. I previously had a boat with a 115 and my young kids could drive it just fine. Not sure abut tilt; that may be a Q for your dealer. There's an active facebook group called Crestliner Boat Owners; you could probably get answers to the tilt question there, as well as feedback on the trailer.

3. Member
    I also had a boat with a 115 and didn't need hydraulic steering so you will be fine without it. my g3 with first a 90 and then 115 came with tilt steering and it's something you definitely want

4. Member
    If the galvanized trailer is reasonable, get it, fewer problems down the road.

5. Member
    Skip the hydraulic steering, but get the tilt, you'll need it due to the seats flipping up to access storage and I found it definitely helped standing up in my XF 189. I absolutely hated the trailer design, no attach point for the standard motor toter and if you fish by yourself a lot you may need to invest in some trailer steps.....

6. Member
    I will definitely get the tilt steering... especially since it is pretty cheap to add. Hydraulic steering is something that is separately added. I'm leaning towards not getting the hydraulic steering at this point. Appreciate everyone's input. As far as the trailer goes I'm getting the "Pro Package" for the boat which included deluxe trailer upgrade (but not galvanized). It's got nicer wheels, steel fenders and the paint has some kind of texture / coating that helps prevent rust apparently was what the sales rep told me.

7. Member
    Don't need the hydraulic steering, tilt would be a good option if reasonably priced, bunk galvanized trailer will be more durable. Get a spare tire, LED lights and loading bunks if not standard equipment.

8. Member
    I ended up not getting the hydraulic steering. But I did get the tilt. Thanks for everyone's input. Since I'm on a budget I had to stick to the 60 HP Merc instead of the 90 HP... but I can still live with that.

9. Member
    I would not buy a boat without a smart trolling motor like an Ultrex... no way. If you don't have one optioned, do yourself a favor and pay the difference between the motors. It is an unbelievable assist in fishing techniques and methods. This would be a deal-breaker for me if I was buying a new boat.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoreline51 View Post
    I ended up not getting the hydraulic steering. But I did get the tilt. Thanks for everyone's input. Since I'm on a budget I had to stick to the 60 HP Merc instead of the 90 HP... but I can still live with that.
    IMHO your WAY under powering that vessel. Your top speed will be 24 mph with only one person aboard. Resale value will suck too.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    IMHO your WAY under powering that vessel. Your top speed will be 24 mph with only one person aboard. Resale value will suck too.
    Well... you were wrong. Top speed is 35 mph with two adult men and gear. Boat handles great and the holeshot is very good. Once the motor is broke in it will most likely add a couple more MPH. Also.. I may upgrade the prop to improve performance (not really needed though). Oh... and right now there's a 1 year wait to get this boat. So I'm not at all worried about resale value with a 60 HP motor. In fact 90% of the Crestliner XF model sell with a 60 HP motor per the dealership. Getting a 90 HP motor... for me at least would have been a waste of $2000 and added another 100 lbs. of weight to the transom. No thanks.

12. Member
    Well... you were wrong. Top speed is 35 mph with two adult men and gear. Boat handles great and the holeshot is very good. Once the motor is broke in it will most likely add a couple more MPH. Also.. I may upgrade the prop to improve performance (not really needed though). Oh... and right now there's a 1 year wait to get this boat. So I'm not at all worried about resale value with a 60 HP motor. In fact 90% of the Crestliner XF model sell with a 60 HP motor per the dealership. Getting a 90 HP motor... for me at least would have been a waste of $2000 and added another 100 lbs. of weight to the transom. No thanks.
    If you’re going by the boat’s speedometer you are once again fooled.

BTW I had a 60 hp ETEC on a 16’ Grumman and top speed was 28.5 per GPS and no 4 stroke 60 hp could keep up with it on a similar vessel with similar weight.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I agree 100%, no way I would buy that boat with a 60hp on it.

14. Member
    Only another 2K for a 90hp? That is an easy yes, I would pay double that to get a 90 instead of a 60hp. Also 90% of them don't sell with a 60 hp, the dealer will tell you anything to get you to buy it, they were glad to finally get rid of it.