Humminbird Images look better than Lowrance

Why do Humminbird Images look better than Lowrance?

I have always used Lowrance. When I see the Humminbird images online, they always look a lot sharper/clearer than the Lowrance images that I see.

Can anyone tell me what's up?

Thanks
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

2. Member
    Show us your pics then we can most likely see what your is doing or not.

Personally from what I've seen on Bass Live this year, Hummingbird images look like crap to me. There appears to be a clear pecking order... Garmin, then AT, then ML.

I recall one of the bigger sonar review YT sites talking about the three brands - and generalizing, it seems Garmin has the best image but requires the most work to get it (ie, lots of settings ajustment/tweaking), but also has the most "noise" in relation to it. Lowarnce's AT is slightly less nice image and slightly less noise, but also very simple/very few setting to adjust - sort of a set it and forget it deal. Hummingbird wanted the clearest image/least amount of noise for ML, but the accuracy of the target return suffers because of it. Just three different approaches to Live Sonar from the three different vendors.

That being said, it think that video is about 2+ years old maybe, and all three manf's have either lauched replacement products entirely (Garmin, Lowrance), or upgraded software with improvements (Humminbird) - so the above generalization may no longer be accurate.

PS - AT user here, if it matters. Honestly, imo they are all pretty close for the most part, so one is typically better of choosing whatever fits with thier current ecosystem of electronics, tbh.

What images are you wanting to discuss? FFS, SI OR DI? I have used mainly Lowrance but my last two boats, I used HB units. For both SI and DI, I can get better images with HB but it requires constant tuning of settings. Lowrance is usually better out of the box and requires less tuning for the current conditions to get acceptable images. I have never used Garmin for SI or DI. I did just switch over to Garmin for FFS from MegaLive. I will be running it the rest of the week and will report back…

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Make sure you are looking at actual on the water images and not the computer generated images they use in advertising.
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

Well this went nowhere fast...