1999 40 HP E40PL4EE 4-Stroke

1999 40 HP E40PL4EE 4-Stroke
    Last year I replaced the water pump(pontoon boat), and it has yet to see the water. It starts right up in a trash can of water. But it runs at a higher rpm and is in what I will call safe mode. Like when you throw it in reverse and try to throttle up too much going backwards. The motor sits there reving up and down.

My question is could I have that shift rod coupled wrong on the lower shaft when I put it back together? Would this in anyway cause this condition?

It starts right up, but does not idle at the usual 900rpm, constantly hunts for rpm. I do not believe I adjusted anything else other than un-coupling and re-coupling the shift rod.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

2. Member
    Old gas?

3. Member
    Brand new non-ethonal hose straight from gas can.
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

4. Member
    Erratic idling like that is often a failed IAC valve. Idle Air Control valve, it does exactly what its name suggests.

You can take it off and there us a tiny air hole behind it than could be blocked up. That might fix the issue.

If it doesnt the IAC valve may need to be replaced. Its made my Mitsubishi (and is used on cars etc) so a good quality after market version from auto parts store will do the job. Find the part number from a Suzuki parts site such as Boats.net and then search for that part number.

5. Member
    Thank you so much
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX

6. Member
    All good. If you buy aftermarket get the Mitsubishi branded ones if possible, the cheap Chinese knockoffs fail too often.

There is a reset procedure that might be required after installing the new one. I will try to find a link for you.

7. Member

8. Member
    So I cleaned the IAC, IAT, and throttle body. Checked all hose connections for any leaks. It still continued to hunt rpms from 2000 to 2500. Then I realized it is actually stuck in safe mode. No matter how much the throttle increases it remains hunting rpms 2000 to 2500.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Jeff Edgarton
    2001 929 CDX