Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wacky Rig Worm - What is your go to worm & why?

Ice is coming off the waters in my region and as I prep for the first couple of trips of the season, there is no doubt I will have a wacky rig on the deck and it got me thinking what worm(s) are really effective. Everyone, including me, uses the Yamamoto Senko, but maybe its me, but it seems that worm is different since Gary Y sold the company. So I am looking to try some different worms this spring regardless of price, or brand, seeking a worm that has gotten you bites!

Look forward to the replies/feedback. Tight lines!!

2. Member
    I don’t throw a wacky until post spawn but I did read that the new stock is lighter weighted. I’ve just always thrown the Senko bc of the weight from the salt/sand formula but maybe there are others out there. I only carry black and GP in big bags so my stockpile will probably last a good bit. Id be interested to see what the BBC experts say here.

3. Member
    I'm still fishing NOS Senkos - 5" for LM usually and the 4" for smallies.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

4. Member
    I like to throw stick baits wacky rigged (currently a 6" Sticko) but if I go to a Neko rig I go to a Z Man Bang Stick because of the durability.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

5. Member
    if I’m really shallow (say less than 3’) I’ll use a Big Bite Baits trick stick in tilapia magic and SA Special or Yum Dingers. The trick sticks will actually float if you gently put them on the surface..

every other depth I prefer the original GYB Senko. I haven’t found anything that works better. I’ll be trying the BPS brand this year though I hear it’s about as close to the fall rate if a true senko as you can get. A berkley general has decent action too, just doesn’t have the same fall rate.

really hard to beat the Dingers for the price though. I bought a pack of Damiki stingers last year and they work ok, not completely sold on the hype yet.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

If I'm fishing shallow, I'm a huge fan of the BioSpawn Exostick. Incredible flutter on the fall, and not heavily salted so it doesn't hit the bottom immediately. There are definitely times where that slower fall is the deal, particularly early in the year around here when everything springs to life all at once and we end up with a lot of slime in places up shallow.

Deeper, the Senko is still king for me. The MaxScent--not regular PowerBait--General is another that I've had some luck with. It might actually sink faster than a Senko. I can't prove it, but I swear the plastic they use for the MaxScent line is the same as what they used many years back when they came out with the "Sinkworm" which has long since been discontinued. That can be helpful when fishing deeper water.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    For weightless Senko Gamakatsu shiner hook. Size 1 for 5 “ 1/0 for 6-7 “

8. Member
    Maxscent General catches the most fish for me and I find it durable as worms go. Kalin's Wack-O-worm a close second.

9. Member
    I've tried a bunch of others and still prefer a Senko. My second favorite is a Wave Tiki Stick. Outside of that I'll still wacky rig a Zoom trick worm.

10. Member

11. Member
    PTL Sick Stick. But I rarely fish them weightless wacky. I'll throw them on a wacky jighead (flick shake I guess). Weightless it takes probably 30 seconds to hit bottom in 1'. With a 1/16oz weight, they fall perfect.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

12. Member
    GREAT FEEDBACK AND RESPONSE!!! Anyone with any experience with Reaction Innovation Pocket Rockets or the Gambler Ace or Fat Ace?? Both have some GREAT colors AND the Pocket Rocket under water vidoes show a TON of motion as the bait falls... I have never thrown either, but am thinking about Reaction Innovation as a new option this year.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley-Maine View Post
    Riley, north, central, south, east or western Maine??

14. Member
    I like the Haggs tornado ribbed body and has a pocket in tail for a rattle.

15. Member
    Zoom zlinky, trick worm or Senko.

16. Member
    I've had good luck with the V&M Chop sticks

17. Member
    Berkley Maxscent General all the way. Haven't bought a GYCB senko in years.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Zoom zlinky, trick worm or Senko.
    I forgot about the zlinky.. I bought a few packs and were impressed. Slow fall but nice action
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I forgot about the zlinky.. I bought a few packs and were impressed. Slow fall but nice action
    Pretty close to the old Senkos, I got about 12 packs of them on sale at Ollie's for $2.99 a piece so I will be using them for awhile.

20. Member
    Another great wacky worm is the Jackall Flick Shake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast