Question AT2 auto range in scout mode problem...

Fishing shallow last couple of trips and I like scout mode when shallow. I like to leave the range in "auto" and have the unit adjust range as my water depth and distance to structure and the shoreline changes. This works will when it works as designed.

Last couple of trips, auto range worked as designed for the first few hours of my trip adjusting range as conditions changed. Then, it stopped adjusting and would stay at a fixed range range no matter what my water depth or distance to hard structure was. Mostly 10ft but I think it did 80ft some too.

Anyone else seeing this with AT2? I have read many posts where auto depth in forward mode has essentially the same problem. I have read the same problem reported with both AT and AT2.

I am running the latest software on my Carbons and the AT2. Changing to a manual range # and then going back to auto to try and get the system to start behaving does not work. Black box is well ventilated and is only warm to the touch not hot.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

2. Member
    I was having a similar issue with my AT1 last year. The range would change itself from a set range to auto without me ever touching it. I was not sure what the issue was but then realized it was only happening when my other bow graph was running. Once I shut down the other bow graph, the issue would stop. I have no idea how the interference works or if that was even truly the cause, but I got rid of that other bow unit and have not once had the issue since.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFryKY View Post
    I was having a similar issue with my AT1 last year. The range would change itself from a set range to auto without me ever touching it. I was not sure what the issue was but then realized it was only happening when my other bow graph was running. Once I shut down the other bow graph, the issue would stop. I have no idea how the interference works or if that was even truly the cause, but I got rid of that other bow unit and have not once had the issue since.
    FishFryKY thanks for contributing. I only have one bow graph. I have one console graph that I stop all connected sonars to and set in standby before moving to the bow to fish with AT2. I wish a fix to this issue was as simple as turning off a 2nd graph.

4. Member
    I am not sure what would cause it or how to fix it. I can say I would disconnect and reconnect everything, from the black box and the unit. Maybe a reset on the unit as well. Sorry I am no help but this was the first I had heard of this issue and it reminded me of my struggles with the auto/set range.

5. Member
    I haven't used my units yet so cannot speak from experience...but would suggest trying "Restore Defaults".
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I haven't used my units yet so cannot speak from experience...but would suggest trying "Restore Defaults".
    Good to hear from you, Marc. I did the "restore defaults" when I setup the unit. I would hope that restore defaults would not have to be repeated many times to get the units to function correctly as you lose settings that have to manually restored.

7. Member
    The source for 2 D depth has a lot to do with AT. If you put an Depth overlay on your AT forward screen then Turn off all transducers to get the cleanest screen. You lose that stable depth. Set the source on your unit to the AT with the lives that is harder to do. With my Pro 16 its listed so I set depth to that and then put on overlay and that gives me depth and very stable auto depth in Forward mode Fished for 8 hrs couple days ago no issues all day long. This was AT1.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    The source for 2 D depth has a lot to do with AT. If you put an Depth overlay on your AT forward screen then Turn off all transducers to get the cleanest screen. You lose that stable depth. Set the source on your unit to the AT with the lives that is harder to do. With my Pro 16 its listed so I set depth to that and then put on overlay and that gives me depth and very stable auto depth in Forward mode Fished for 8 hrs couple days ago no issues all day long. This was AT1.
    Thanks Basshopper... but my problem is not with auto depth as I noted. It is with auto forward range in Scout mode. The problem may also be happening in auto forward range in Forward mode but I have been in Scout mode the whole time the last two trips.

9. Member
    Even though I Missed saying it on my post I also including the auto forward besides depth. The point is stable depth and forward readings. I did run my forward in auto for about an house Its too much movment for me in shallow water when seaching. If I have to keep adjusting to the movement then could be missing fish, But that just me.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    The source for 2 D depth has a lot to do with AT. If you put an Depth overlay on your AT forward screen then Turn off all transducers to get the cleanest screen. You lose that stable depth. Set the source on your unit to the AT with the lives that is harder to do.
    BH, please share how to change the source of depth data to the AT? I looked yesterday in the Data Sources section and my AT2 was not listed as a choice. I am sure I am missing something or do not understand where this setting is made. Thanks.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 04-18-2023 at 08:17 AM.

11. Member
    Anyone know how to change the data source for depth to the AT transducer as Basshopper proposed above?