Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Sooooo....what's going on with the claim?? Covered to your satisfaction?

I am skeptical about insurance coverage. I could tell you some bad stories about insurance down here. They never want to pay what something is worth to buy an equal replacement.

Sorry it happened... I hope you get a satisfactory outcome... good luck.
    So here is my, so far, tale of insurance woe. State Farm thinks its up to me to get a repair estimate at a reputable repair facility. They gave zero advice on where such a facility might actually be. I called Ranger, they only work on warranty claims and suggested I speak with the nearest Ranger dealer - Angler's Choice (I've had decent experience with them in the past). Angler's Choice gave me the name of a guy in Kannapolis, NC who they use when they need fabrication work on pontoons. Kannapolis is a convenient 3 hour drive - one way. But no one answers the phone number I was give. I called a local Tracker Marine dealer who has always been very good to deal with when I've need motor repair and they suggested I call a Ranger dealer - Angler's Choice!! So I started calling random marine dealers around Smith Mountain Lake, we have quite a few but they are all for pleasure boats, and no one deals with fishing boats. But one person was quite helpful and gave me the name of a local shop and this person actually called me back. I explained what happened to the boat and his reply was something like "doesn't sound like something remotely fixable". Exactly!! So I'm scheduled to bring the boat to him to look at this coming Wednesday so hopefully he can draft an official looking document that says - "this boat is a total loss". We will see how it goes when I send this in to State Farm later this week. If that doesn't work then it will be time to stop being the nice guy. I have auto, home, boat, and liability coverage with State Farm for 30+ years and have never prior had an issue.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

2. Member
    I wish you luck on the claim. Sad that you probably won't get what the boat is worth to YOU... Most of the time they use a book to determine the value.... book value. I know it is worth more to you and for you to replace.

Just as FYI... I had my insurance on my boats with a large national company like you. I talked with my agent of 25 or so years who had my home and cars etc. about my boat coverage in case of a claim. He was truthful and honest about how it would be handled. I was not happy with the system.

I moved my boats to Worldwide Marine with Bill. He worked with me so I could set the value of the boats, graphs, rods, reels, and etc. etc.... I feel better now that I had input to what I wanted it to be worth....not a book value.

I hope things work out for you. BTW.. I have been happy changing my insurance.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

I have all my insurance bundled with an independent agent so I only have to write one check per year.
    My boat, motor and trailer are insured for specified amounts and when my trailer was totaled they paid the insured amount even though it was more than the cost of the new trailer.
    I recently met with my agent to review the insured amounts and added my trolling motor and graphs with replacement costs for each. I did not add rods reels and tackle but could have if desired.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Sooooo....what's going on with the claim?? Covered to your satisfaction?

I am skeptical about insurance coverage. I could tell you some bad stories about insurance down here. They never want to pay what something is worth to buy an equal replacement.

Sorry it happened... I hope you get a satisfactory outcome... good luck.

This is why you get an "agreed to" policy. If your boat gets totaled, you get the agreed to amount minus your deductible. If you really want to make sure you only have a good insurance experience, get a policy from Worldwide Marine (board sponsor). I know from first hand experience, they are the real deal and make sure you are taken care of.

5. Banned
    Happened to my Ranger Cherokee207 a few years ago. Total loss, World Wide Insurance took care of it .

6. Banned
    Hope it works out in your favor. In the meantime lucis slickmist shall prevail fish on seriously hope it does work out

An update on the crushed boat. The process is progressing although State Farm wants more than the estimate that says "this boat is beyond repair" from the local boat shop so they want to talk to Butch, the technician. As Butch told me, I don't know what else to put on the estimate as there is no way to repair this boat. But assuming that they pay up, State Farm is offering $19,800 for the boat, motor and trailer. I think that is a fair settlement as its a 2014 boat with a 2004 90 hp Optimax that has 760 hours on it. Then it gets interesting as they consider the salvage value at $3350. So I can keep the wreck and receive $16,450 in cash. What would the tin boat forum members do? The trailer is in surprisingly good shape and the motor was running fine but needs a new skeg. There are a few parts of value on the boat including a passenger side console, they don't give those away! But otherwise there isn't much other than the motor and trailer. Opinions are welcomed, I am leaning towards having the whole thing towed away but I wonder what the motor and trailer would bring? Finally disposing of the hull would likely require a sawzall and a few hours labor.
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    I have, fortunately, never been in your position but I might be tempted to hold onto it and sell it for parts. The trailer will bring its own price as will the motor too. The hull might be attractive to a metal scrapper, whether that can be sold or someone just conveniently moves it for you. Just food for thoughts. I can also understand just getting a check, letting them take away the now headache, and moving on.

9. Member
    That is a favorable settlement in my opinion. I would take the settlement letting me keep the salvage. Then I would decide how to proceed.
    You would have a nice check and a good trailer and motor. I would take the $16k and the rig as it sits for the salvage... that is a nice position to be in.

Leaves you with a sizable check...a good trailer and a motor that is running good..

If you don't have the time to hassle with it.. take the 19k... just depends on your time and if you want to deal with it or not.
    RT188

10. Member
    I would take the settlement and have them take my headache away. But I'm lazy in my old age and wouldn't want to deal with it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I would take the settlement and have them take my headache away. But I'm lazy in my old age and wouldn't want to deal with it.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    This is most likely where I am going to go. I really don't need a wrecked boat sitting in my driveway even though I have a place to more or less keep it out of sight. Time to start looking for a replacement, hopefully I can find one like the barely used 2018 RT188 I found last fall.

13. Member
    I wouldn't want the hassle of parting out a wrecked boat, not to mention the time involved in doing it!

And with the force of that tree coming down on the trailer like that there could be some damage you can't see. Like the springs and bearing, maybe even the bunks?

14. Member
    I would not part it out either... my point is this... he has a motor that he knows the history on that evidently runs....he has a trailer... he has a trolling motor amd probably a good one, batteries, electronics, and all. I would take these things and buy a naked boat or one with a bad motor. I would haul the hull to a scrap yard for the aluminum scrap

That's ... like I said... if you have time. He has two boats
    I would use the other RT and do it this way... IF I had time to deal with it.

Financially, it makes sense to me. IF he has the time and the inclination.
    RT188

Sorry. It looks like it will still fish though.
    Ranger Forever

A brief update, I finally have an agreement with State Farm Insurance that the boat is a total loss. Now the process of paperwork begins.

17. Member
    When my boat which was valued at $4500.00 was totaled by a drunk driver in 2014 i was allowed to take trolling motor, batteries, black light jacks, electronics etc. off of it because they were only paying for the boat, motor & trailer & i recieved $7600.00 for a 1995 dynatrack 180 ste with totaled hull, trailer & the damaged motor. Anything i put on it came off & went with me down to the spare tire. I upgraded to a 2003 stratos 18 XL & had money left thankfully. Stay firm in what you know your stuffs worth & ask if you can have the smae things i mentioned. They told me boat, motor & trailer was what they were paying for so i said i guess all the extras can come with me then can't they & they agreed. I came out smelling like a rose on my deal.

My boat insurance policy lists Boat, Motor and Trailer separately, each with a specified amount. I had to replace the trailer in 2018 and they paid the insured amount even though the actual replacement cost was less. Would have been the same if the replacement was more though.
    After reading your original post, I reviewed the insured amounts with my agent but left them alone because I felt they would cover a replacement.
    however, I added my Ultrex, graphs and LiveScope at a specified amount each to the policy.
    This seems a reasonable and practical arrangement.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

When a guy hit my Ranger and they offered the same deal, I cashed out with them because I did not want to have to deal with the repairs. (Boat, motor, and trailer all had to be repaired.)
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Postmortem, received check today minus the salvage value. Neighbor is buying the wreck from me, has a friend who does bodywork and such. Should be interesting to see what they can do.

Edit: Neighbor towed the boat away today. He didn't want the passenger side console so we worked a deal where I took it for my 2018 - the wife will be happy although I kind of like having it out of the way.
    Last edited by tcesni; 05-13-2023 at 06:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12