Solix in-hull transducer "not recommended" ?

HB's online compatibility tool (link below) says in-hull transducers are not recommended for Solix. Maybe that's why my XP 14 HW (connected via Y cable) loses contact with the bottom above 25 mph on my Stroker bassboat. The Lowrance in-hull ducer glued down about a foot away (toward the bow) gives me a good signal until about 60 mph. I really want to take advantage of Autochart Live, but don't want to putt around at 20 mph.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not going to use a skimmer. I had Solix MSI+ G2s and just upgraded to G3s but i haven't used them yet. Also just bought Garmin Livescope Plus and a GT15M-IH transducer; is there an HB-to-Garmin ducer adapter cable that could be plugged into the Y cable? Or is the Solix control head the issue? I'm removing the old Lowrance HDS units, so I could also try adapting the Lowrance in-hull ducer to the Y cable.

https://zingtree.com/deploy/tree.php...e96e6ccb4532#7

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by Muskiebri; 04-08-2023 at 03:30 AM.
    Boatless in Wisconsin. 300R
    Act justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God.

2. Member
    A lot of air under the boat at 60+. I've never got one to read much over that, no matter how it was installed or connected.

3. Member
    Maybe I'm reading that tool wrong but I believe it is only referring to a in-hull transducer for MSI is not recommended which is the case for any SI model.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by The5thDutton View Post
    A lot of air under the boat at 60+. I've never got one to read much over that, no matter how it was installed or connected.
    Yeah, I'd be happy with a reading at 40-45.

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Maybe I'm reading that tool wrong but I believe it is only referring to a in-hull transducer for MSI is not recommended which is the case for any SI model.
    Yes, could be. Makes sense. Wording isn't very clear. Lots of people using the XP 14 and Y cable with a Solix. I tried for a perfect install, but maybe there's a big air bubble in the epoxy that came with the transducer.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskiebri View Post
    HB's online compatibility tool (link below) says in-hull transducers are not recommended for Solix. Maybe that's why my XP 14 HW (connected via Y cable) loses contact with the bottom above 25 mph on my Stroker bassboat. The Lowrance in-hull ducer glued down about a foot away (toward the bow) gives me a good signal until about 60 mph. I really want to take advantage of Autochart Live, but don't want to putt around at 20 mph.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm not going to use a skimmer. I had Solix MSI+ G2s and just upgraded to G3s but i haven't used them yet. Also just bought Garmin Livescope Plus and a GT15M-IH transducer; is there an HB-to-Garmin ducer adapter cable that could be plugged into the Y cable? Or is the Solix control head the issue? I'm removing the old Lowrance HDS units, so I could also try adapting the Lowrance in-hull ducer to the Y cable.

https://zingtree.com/deploy/tree.php...e96e6ccb4532#7

Thanks,
    Brian
    I was reading about Autochart on the HB site. This is a statement in it about speed:
    • Speed. There is no scientific number for what speed you should cover an area, but know that slower speeds allow for better sonar coverage. A good baseline would be 1-10mph – depending on your boat.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I was reading about Autochart on the HB site. This is a statement in it about speed:
    • Speed. There is no scientific number for what speed you should cover an area, but know that slower speeds allow for better sonar coverage. A good baseline would be 1-10mph – depending on your boat.

The Auto Chart Live instructions in the Helix manual states 0-8 mph.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks bobcoy and Wayne. For musky fishing, we're moving about 1 mph casting or 3-5 trolling, so yes, Autochart will give useful detail in the areas where it matters most, where we fish. Probably don't need the greatest detail or accuracy in areas where you're hauling along, unless there's an uncharted reef or other hazard. I know people use it on-plane to map entire lakes so i thought that's mostly what it's meant for, but it makes sense that the best detail would come at slower speed.

9. Member
    For a quick survey SI might be your best tool for looking at a Large area to show you places to scout by marking waypoints. About the same limits of speed, but you can look at an area up to 400’ wide.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go