Line for spinning setup

I have a 7’3” M St Croix Victory spinning rod that I plan to use for finesse jigs and small paddle tails/ball jig. I am planning to use braid with a fc leader. Should that work for this setup or should I go straight fc?
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

no doubt Braid to FC and practice the FG knot......many methods on youtube to accomplish a FG. Me personally I loop the line (braid) on the reel handle and then weave the flouro method. All kinds of braid out there, all are pretty good..... same with fC....... what ever makes your ears wiggle....use.

For use with Jigs and small Swim Baits, I would suggest using a 15-20# braid to a 12# Fluorocarbon leader. I use the Shin Knot to connect the leader. It's very strong, easy to tie, and super small !!

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Without question, braid to floro leader. Better casting, line management and tremendous flexibility, as you can change your leader line diameter based on the conditions and applications you are fishing.

What the guys above said - I was on Table Rock yesterday fishing 2.8 and 3.3 Keitechs, it was a good day, 3 species of bass, walleye and a few crappie. 15 lb. braid with a 10 lb. FC leader.

6. Scraps
    I tried the Sunline Siglon PEx8 braid last year and really like it, slick, and casts phenomenally. Like said, many braids out there. Also like Shin's knot and Shin.
    Last edited by krindgen; 04-07-2023 at 07:48 AM.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Are you guys using a mono backing or straight braid to leader?
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos92 View Post
    Are you guys using a mono backing or straight braid to leader?
    Either one works, but cheap 12-15# mono is what I've been using for YEARS !!!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Definitely use backing. Helps the braid from slipping on the spool and it also saves quite a bit of money. I end up filling the spooo about halfway with mono, then the remainder gets braid. It’ll usually last about 4 years before I need to replace it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    I use 15lb Power Pro with a 8 or 10lb Gamma Edge leader.
    Mike Smith

11. Member
    I tried the berkley x9 in 15 pound & it works great on a spinning reel. I also use diawa j braid in 15 pound test & like it a lot too.

I like braid in the 0.15mm to 0.20mm range for diameter. Something 8 strand or better for smoothness is my preference.

Watch going by lb tests in most braids, there will be massive differences. The one that really bugs me is that Berkley straight up lies with its listed diameters on the X5 and x9. It’s at least twice as thick as their diameters say.

FG is a great knot, but I only use it when my leader is at least 10 lb test, and really would rather it be 12 (Sniper diameters for those 10 and 12 lb reference points). You just have to crank on it so hard to make sure it won’t let loose, I don’t trust it on anything lighter as you end up fracturing your leader line getting the knot seated. I also think the benefit of the thinner FG is much less pronounced for lighter leaders. At the same time, its extra length is much more noticeable to where other knots may actually behave better.

The “lazy Alberto” (aka Shin’s knot) is my choice for the lighter lines. Never had a single issue with it, and I tie most of my leaders long enough so that they’re going onto the reel and being casted off every cast.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

13. Scraps
    I set up all my spinning outfits yesterday. So much difference in tying 10 vs. 15/20lb braid. That 10lb is so tiny and limp I was tying three times to get one good knot to 8lb leader. Granted, I need to practice. Still haven't mastered Shin's knot. Seem to tie a better RP knot on the smaller diameters. Have one outfit with 16.5lb G-Soul sinking braid and that stuff is tough to tie also.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Why use braid when you have a sensitive rod I use nothing but mono line and have yet to break off fish ???I use izorline line and caught many good sized fish ???

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmartinez View Post
    Why use braid when you have a sensitive rod I use nothing but mono line and have yet to break off fish ???I use izorline line and caught many good sized fish ???
    Because braid casts 100Xs better than mono, it is much easier to manage on a spinning reel, it makes whatever set up you are fishing MORE sensitive AND with a braid to leader set up I can have one size braid and change my leader size to match the applications I want to fish. Can't do that if you have 8lb mono on your reel. If I am finesse fishing, I can drop down to a 6lb leader if needed, and if I get around cover and need better abrasion resistance, I can tie on a 12lb or 15lb leader and go to work. Braid lasts so much longer than mono, or even floro, that you can keep the braid on a spinning reel for a couple of seasons (I have some setups that are three seasons old) and continue to just change up my leader based on the applications I am fishing on a given day. The reasons to fish braid on a spinning reel are numerous, and undeniable.

16. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Small jigs on spinning gear……. I use 20# braid with a flouro clear 10# leader… WORKS FOR ME.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

17. Member
    Power Pro moss green. I use it on almost everything .... baitcaster and spinning. Never caused me a problem and the price is good and lasts a long time so I never saw a reason to change. I like it.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmartinez View Post
    If you fished in Florida with all the hydrilla and lily pads and floating cabbage, you would have trouble with it. I usually fish 40 pound braid at least. If you get one of our big fish on with a lot of weeds and hydrilla between you and the fish, you need a rod with backbone and a heavy line like braid. I can cast 40 pound braid....but not 40 pound mono.

Regarding the original question on lighter gear, you feel the taps and bites better with braid than mono. With plastics, there is less stretch and a better hookset. And braid casts better and has virtually NO line memory.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.