Safety kill switch question

I have searched the forums and found some suggestions but not a definite answer. Hoping someone here can help. Just purchased a 1998 273. Took it out today and caught some fish. Only issue I have noticed is the safety switch doesn't stop the motor. Based on suggestions found in other posts I have taken it off, lubed it, and the plunger seems to be working just fine. Even with it the lanyard off and the plunger out, the motor will still start and run. Does that mean I need to just buy a new switch or is there something else I can do?

2. Member
    You can remove the kill switch and check it with an OHM meter
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Any idea which terminals to check for this function?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeade View Post
    I have searched the forums and found some suggestions but not a definite answer. Hoping someone here can help. Just purchased a 1998 273. Took it out today and caught some fish. Only issue I have noticed is the safety switch doesn't stop the motor. Based on suggestions found in other posts I have taken it off, lubed it, and the plunger seems to be working just fine. Even with it the lanyard off and the plunger out, the motor will still start and run. Does that mean I need to just buy a new switch or is there something else I can do?
    Your motor should be able to be started and run without the safety lanyard connected, it should however shut the motor off when pulled while the motor is running. The ability to run without the lanyard is there so that if you fall out, if there is a co-angler or passenger they can start the boat to come and get you.
    1993 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2000 Johnson 225 6" Slidemaster
    36V 52" Ultrex Ipilot Link

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jagert59 View Post
    Your motor should be able to be started and run without the safety lanyard connected, it should however shut the motor off when pulled while the motor is running. The ability to run without the lanyard is there so that if you fall out, if there is a co-angler or passenger they can start the boat to come and get you.
    You are correct sir. Thank you for that explanation

6. Member
    I assume this boar has an Evinrude or Johnson on it. The kill switch for their motors work by turning the key back to the off position. Give it a real yank and see if it works.