Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I feel like I just committed adultery…

I bought a G Loomis.

so I have been EXCLUSIVELY a St. Croix guy for about 25 years now. So much so that I wouldn’t even consider touching, let alone buying, anything else.

I worked my way up from base model premiers (at the time) now fishing exclusively Legends (mostly Xtremes).

I recently made an impulse buy on another Xtreme and when it arrived at my door, it was broke in half due to shipping mishandling.

I took the rod back to the retailer where I purchased it from through special order. As he was checking out the rod, I held an NRX+. I do admit, it felt GREAT!!!! Have never heard anything negative about the NRX line. Debated trying one on a couple occasions, but didn’t want to cheat on my St. Croix brand.

Figured, what the hell… here’s a chance to try one out. So I got an NRX+

Still have mixed feelings, lol. But I do have to say, I am excited to try it out!!

4F13ABE3-71D4-48F2-95C7-063F71CE8C56.jpeg
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

2. Member
    I think you will be happy with your purchase.

Now you will not have to wonder how you would like a GLomis.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    The 854c is one of my favorites in the lineup, I have 4 of that model.

4. Member
    I know exactly what you mean (albiet at a lesser extent).

I was a St Croix fanboy for years. Mojo, LTB, Premiers, Avid X, LTW… all I ever looked at was St Croix. i started building my own rods a couple years ago, and while I don’t have many builds under my belt (approx 15), most are using St Croix blanks. I previously used the 6’9ML Avid X as my baseline of how I wanted all of my rods to feel and balance. It’s my unicorn rod, perfect mix of balance, fit and finish, and sensitivity.

last summer I picked up a Loomis IMX at a tackle shop and it honestly blew my mind. It felt better than any St Croix I’ve ever held. Just a better action, lighter, more balanced, and had a crisper feel. Granted it was also $150 more than any LTB I’ve owned. The fit and finish wasn’t exactly St Croix quality, but the blank just felt great.

Since St Croix took over RodGeeks I’ve been buying more NFC blanks (Gary Loomis‘ company) and they feel better than the RodGeeks. That IMX is now the baseline of how I want all of my personal builds to feel like. If I was buying factory rods, I’d be going with Loomis now I was that impressed.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I have a St.Croix buried in my yard to appease the fishing
    gods.
    Please release me,let me go.

6. Member
    I was a 20 year St. Croix guy mostly LTB's and AvidX... and yes they do make a quality rod. However, I did buy an NRX, and then a Levante, ALX, Daiwa, and others. Went back to my St. Croix's and anything MH or Heavy all of a sudden felt like an anchor in my hand. Thick, tip-heavy and cumbersome. Traded them all in on about 5 different brands of similar price and haven't looked back.

7. Member
    Well… it’s always for something better isn’t it?

We all have our alliances and friendships...... I went from a 30 yr loomis guy to a Steez guy................Same happened with Shimano to Daiwa.....

You just have to find that rod/reel combo that make your ears wiggle when you fish them......................

Welcome to the dark side....this new path will forever dominate your NRX destiny

10. Member
    Have 20 St Croix rods all the way from Avids to Legend X's. Also have 6 Falcon rods from years past that get used everyday. Have one Loomis GL2............nice rods but like my St. Croix.

11. Member
    I bought two off a friend, 804c & 852s, fished them for a year and sold them. The ergonomics were average imo and I wasn't crazy about the tapers, but what crazy light and powerful blanks, hope they work out for you.

12. Member
    I'm a huge fan of NRX+ spinning rods, they are amazing.

13. Member
    I have fished both extensively. IMO, Loomis definitely has the edge at the upper end because of the crisper feel of the NRX. Once you go, say, below GLX the St Croix are much better values in terms of sensitivity. All across the board St Croix wins in terms of build quality. I have had some NRX's that were terrible in terms of thread, epoxy especially.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I have fished both extensively. IMO, Loomis definitely has the edge at the upper end because of the crisper feel of the NRX. Once you go, say, below GLX the St Croix are much better values in terms of sensitivity. All across the board St Croix wins in terms of build quality. I have had some NRX's that were terrible in terms of thread, epoxy especially.
    100% agree. St Croix rods have the best build quality (have Avid, LT and Legend Extreme) but the Loomis GLX has to be the best 'bang for the buck', at least to me. I agree the NRX are the benchmark but it's splitting hairs above GLX, in my opinion. Plus, I tend to throw moving baits more often these days so there's no reason to use an NRX or Conquest, as great as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    I bought two off a friend, 804c & 852s, fished them for a year and sold them. The ergonomics were average imo and I wasn't crazy about the tapers, but what crazy light and powerful blanks, hope they work out for you.
    The ergonomics of the handles is what made me change from Loomis..... I hold completely in front of the reel on spinning..... been that way for 40 years............ once I got on one spinner.... I tried a caster..... and off I went...............

Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    100% agree. St Croix rods have the best build quality (have Avid, LT and Legend Extreme) but the Loomis GLX has to be the best 'bang for the buck', at least to me. I agree the NRX are the benchmark but it's splitting hairs above GLX, in my opinion. Plus, I tend to throw moving baits more often these days so there's no reason to use an NRX or Conquest, as great as they are.
    I am the same, fish moving baits almost 100% of the time, and here I am with an arsenal full of $400-$700 rods. I know I could get by with less sensitive rods, but I’m just the kind of person that enjoys fishing with the best.
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

17. Member
    Love my nrx rods they are cream of the crop .... I do have other stuff mixed in but mostly nrx and nrx + ... but ALL my reels are daiwa .... no one makes a better reel in my opinion ... you will be happy with your decision
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

It all starts with just one rod. I was a mixed bag guy for years buying the best rod and different brands I could afford. Once I tried the NRX I was hooked.

My wallet has not been the same since.

19. Member
    I started with an 853 2 years ago. I now own 9 �� 4 of which are the pluses

I was sponsored by GLoomis in the late 90's-2005 and the NRX was not even around then. All my rods were the IMX. Just can't find one I like any better, even the NRX+ and the IMX PRO. I even tried a few other brands too. I hate it when I break one and they send me an IMX PRO, which I then sell and find me a used IMX, LOL !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast