920 Top Speed Help

2013 920, 250 Proxs. Atlas hydraulic, 25 Fury

When I took ownership of this boat I was seeing 75mph loaded by myself.
    Since then a series of events has occurred but I have a hard time contributing them to my loss of top end. Unfortunately I did not have an accurate rpm gauge at that time.

My boat was damaged and it get the hull repaired near the pad and some glass work done.

My set up when I was hitting 75 was, 3 31 series tm batteries, a 27 deka cranking and minn kota 460pc.

I have replaced the 27 with an X2, and the minn kota with a dual pro 4x15.

So I've added about 30lbs.
    I have also added another graph to the bow and a ultrex from fortrex
    My current numbers are as follows

With my partner and I, about 500lb, full wells, full gas tournament load we would hit about 68 last summer

My latest run was solo, very very light tackle, 3/4 fuel, added powerpoles.
    69 MPH @5600 rpms..

I have a couple ideas to check but was curious if anyone could provide input or at least verify if I'm on the right track

1.100% throttle
    2 send prop for b&b
    3 change plugs even tho I don't have any idle issues
    4 Cut one trolling motor battery and test to see what the weight difference may tell me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, I am considering going to lithiums but afraid my numbers may drop drastically or they may improve

Any suggestions or insight is appreciated

2. Member
    The biggest thing I see is going to an ultrex and adding another graph. Extra weight on the nose has alot more effect than weight in the rear. I had to have a little cup added to the tip of my blades from adding a 360. The ultrex and graph you added is around easily 20+ pounds extra.
    You may be able to lower the motor 1/2" and get some lift and speed back. Do you know what you currently run prop to pad?

Worse case scenario is the pad wasn't repaired properly and has a hook or isn't true.

3. Member
    I haven't measured ptp just because I've moved my plate all over the place with little to no improvement

4. Member
    I am running a 21PHX - 25 fury - 10' poles. Over the first year I lost 1 or 2 mph which I believe is from wear on the prop. One of the blades has considerably less cup than the other 2. I was told (but have not verified) that this is common with the Fury. That is because of the thin blades, they sometimes lose some of the cup or have blades of slightly different pitch after the first few hours of use. A few years back on my Gambler, I had a similar issue and sent the prop to Mark Croxton and got the top end speed back. As far as lithiums, when I switched to lithium I lost another 1 or 2 mph.

5. Member
    Yeah thats definitely my next move, prop work. Although I'm unsure if it's worth it prior to setting up with lithium. I've also considered injector cleaning

6. Member
    I run a 24 Fury on my 2015 920. 72 is all i can do anymore.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRGart View Post
    I run a 24 Fury on my 2015 920. 72 is all i can do anymore.

You say anymore, do you believe something has changed? Did you always run a 24?

Supposedly the motors don’t loose power over time but I seem to believe otherwise. Also I bet the hull damage is effecting it someway. Also prop wear is a thing. I lost legit 10mph off my 2016 721 over a 5-6 year period. But a lot was self inflicted by lithium and more electronics for weight on the bow. But still it seems I hear it all the time that when new the boat ran 76mph and 3 years later you get like 70 at the absolute best.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

9. Member
    I switched to a fresh B&B fury from Croxton and saw no improvement, now chasing potential of throttle adjustment

10. Member
    My recommendation is not to worry about trying to get every little ounce of HP out of your boat and just go have fun and concentrate on catching bass

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skincheese View Post
    My recommendation is not to worry about trying to get every little ounce of HP out of your boat and just go have fun and concentrate on catching bass
    Just gives me something else to tinker with

12. Member
    Your not turning enough rpm need to get up around 6000

make sure your throttle is giving you 100% seems off

2018 Phoenix 921
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro xs
    Hotrod

14. Member
    My 2015, 920 runs 72 solo are with partner with half tank of gas. I turn 5850 rpm. I added another graft to front, ultrex and 3 lithium batteries. I went from 12 inch manual jack plate to 10 electric. I run a 24 fury prop. The 25 fury will run a little faster but was slow out of hole and with two people. I also have 12 foot talons on boat

15. Member
    I've been chasing down the throttle deal, I'm not an expert on it but the bbc mercury guys have helped me learn it is "close". Not sure what else to mess with at this point, I did add lithiums and saw no difference on top end, but a vast improvement in holeshot. I may try a worked 24 Fury with cup added