Thread: UTV’s…….

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UTV’s…….

I’m starting to look at UTV’s for dog training, trials and hunting. Probably going to go with a 2 seater (not opposed to 4). Will most like be getting a 4 hole dog box fabricated for the “bed”. Currently like the Yamaha (I love everything Yamaha) Viking Ranch and the Can-Am Defender. I really like the customization options with the defender.

I’d love input from those with UTV’s!

Thanks!

Here are a few images from a recent training day……..

A748AC38-DA36-461C-900C-4416B562BC1B.jpeg

7C0E216E-D962-44B5-B49A-94387F8CA214.jpeg

2A6935AA-4958-44A1-AE67-5E0057258D2F.jpeg

433903AE-DBC7-413F-9892-9ABE51D353D1.jpeg
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

I’d go Yamaha because I really want a Yamaha.

I’ve had my Kawasaki mule SX for a week now. I went with that one bc I wanted the smallest 4x4 model I could get, and they were the only ones that offered a 400cc size. So far I love it, it’s the most basic machine on the market and very practical. It’s not flashy or sexy, but does what I need it to do. The salesman at the dealership said he’s been there for 5 years and can count on one hand how many warranty claims he’s had with the Mule SX.

That being said, I would not hesitate at all to buy a Yamaha. My dad has a Polaris ranger and he doesn’t like it. I’m not familiar with the can ams or Viking. But at this point I’d say they’re all pretty well made.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Duck guide I hunted with swears by the mule for driving everyone through the flooded fields to the duck blinds. No problems and he uses the
    heck out of them. Services once a year he said. He had two in the ten years I hunted with him.

5. Member
    I have a 15 Viking and has been good to me

6. Member
    Spent the last 30+ years making sure that everything small engine (and not so small) related was Kawasaki or Yamaha. From UTVs to zero turn mowers to the SHO on the back of my boat. My Mule is indestructible and I love it. It gets WORKED around our acreage and then turned over to my ten year old girl who drives it like #3 did in NASCAR. Just keeps on runnin.
    2014 920/SHO

7. Member
    We have a Honda pioneer that has the 4 seat option via the flip up seats in the bed. We love it. Small enough to get around in the woods, but enough room to carry us and the 2 kids when we want to all ride.

8. Member
    If you're a Yamaha fan then look at the Rmax, you'll get utility with enough sport to go have fun once in a while. There's a church riding group that I sometimes attend their rides, majority are 70's and up, and they are all going to the Rmax in droves.

9. Member
    I got a 2022 Yamaha Rmax xtr 2 seater. The thing is a beast! I got a snow plow and was amazed in how easy it pushes snow around. I have hauled several deer with it and actually we use it for just about everything. One of the best purchases we have made

kawamulesx.jpg

We bought this 2022 Kawasaki Mule SX 4X4 last spring. Been looking for over two years. The pandemic caused a huge shortage of these so when I found it, I snatched it up. Two seater has more bed space than 4 seater, and that makes it more functional for my use. Make sure to get 4-wheel drive, though, no matter what brand you buy.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

11. Member
    I have the Honda Pioneer, I bought it for the shaft drive rather than a belt drive. Love it
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

12. Member
    I've had a Polaris Ranger since 2015. I use it as a tool but treat her nicely. Never imagined I'd find so many uses for it around the property. She plows snow, pulls a trailer, the winch gets used often for pulling trees and logs, it shuttles tons of food and drink to the campfire, and transports some less mobile people up and down, to and from the lake.
    One of the best purchases we've ever made.

13. Member
    I went back to an atv because of the narrow trails we run, but I've been really impressed by the Polaris rangers for a crossover between sporty and utility.

Some of the tracker utv models are made by artic cat and they're pretty good for pure utility at a budget price point.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    I have the Honda Pioneer, I bought it for the shaft drive rather than a belt drive. Love it
    Been looking hard at this unit just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

15. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Honda Pioneer. Very reliable

16. Member
    Two best I have owned are Polaris Ranger xp and Kawasaki Mule. Both have large beds on back and never ever broke down. Daily use in hardwood bottoms and swamps of Louisiana during deer, duck and trukey seasons. Two Mules are used daily on the farm. Only "problem" I have seen is on a mule. You need to keep the front drive pinion shaft cleaned and greased or it wear the splines quickly. Both have never failed to start. The hunting ones get abuse pretty good and just keep going. Most of the Dog men around her have mules or Polaris. Polaris had the best ride by far, keeps you dogs from getting bounced around.

I have a 14 Polaris Ranger. It's been a workhorse. I have over 900 hours on it, I've replaced brakes on the front and tires on the back. It will go anywhere. It hauls all my firewood or trailer loads of firewood. It works the farm and doesn't get babied. Twice a year I change the oil and check it over really good. I have been very happy with it. I can't comment on the newer Rangers but this one is really quiet and I like quiet.

Buddy has the Can-Am and I like it too. He really likes it. We dog train together also and when ya have some softer fields it is a great thing to have a light vehicle.

If you custom build dog boxes put a drawer under the dogs so you can put all your gear, it'll last a lot longer without the dogs running all over it every time ya throw it in the bed.

Buddy has a pioneer, I found it very loud. He also had to put it in and out of 4wd all the time and high and low range. If I need 4wd in my Ranger it's rare and I live and train in E. KY and it is 4wd territory. I have NEVER needed low range, and he used his a lot with the Honda and I was not impressed. The new Rangers may be loud I don't know, mine is 9yrs old.

18. Member
    Appreciate all of the replies and insight!

Keep it coming.

I really like the looks of the Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 2 1000. I'll test drive a few and keep my options open.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

19. Member
    I’m a die hard Yamaha guy. But we just got a can am defender, got the hdxt 9. I love this thing, if you need to run 60 mph you can. It’s a sweet unit.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Been looking hard at this unit just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    Had been looking at new one's but hadn't pulled the trigger, I lucked out and bought a gently used one, less than 400 hrs, from a relative
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast