Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Local Tackle Stores

I went to a place called Sheltons which is out in the country. It is a little over an hours drive near Moulton from Huntsville.It has an amazing selection of rods reels and tackle at great prices. It also has a clothing store and I came out with a bag of hard to find tackle ,a new chronarch reel and brand new cowboy boots.
    Tell us about the local unique tackle store in your area.

2. Member
    Up near Saginaw Bay there's a store called Northwoods. It's a rather large place, but they have everything, and at great prices. They also carry hunting, camping, ice fishing, and household items. I wish it was closer, because I would give them more business. But, at 90 minutes one way, it's tough to justify. I will be stopping every time I go up north though.

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    Up near Saginaw Bay there's a store called Northwoods. It's a rather large place, but they have everything, and at great prices. They also carry hunting, camping, ice fishing, and household items. I wish it was closer, because I would give them more business. But, at 90 minutes one way, it's tough to justify. I will be stopping every time I go up north though.

Pinconning MI.... I stop there a few times a year on my way up north. https://northwoodsoutlet.com/

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    My local shop (Oceans East) is 50/50 saltwater and freshwater. They carry some stuff that BPS does not have. They are not cheap but they are convenient and provide most services you would need. Went there today for customer appreciation sale. Picked up a couple Aftco and one Huk shit for 50% off. Of course I had to pick up a few baits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I went to a place called Sheltons which is out in the country. It is a little over an hours drive near Moulton from Huntsville.It has an amazing selection of rods reels and tackle at great prices. It also has a clothing store and I came out with a bag of hard to find tackle ,a new chronarch reel and brand new cowboy boots.
    Tell us about the local unique tackle store in your area.
    I've been buying from the Shelton's for many years. Great people to deal with and they have a ton of inventory. You can't beat their prices! I usually make a run over there every couple of weeks.

6. Member
    Unfortunately a lot of the local shops have closed.

we have one in the next town over that a 10 yo started a few years back by selling worms from his front yard. That grew to placing mini fridges at local gas stations and grocery stores, which then led them to selling minnows and tackle out of their garage. Sounds like a young entrepreneur until you realize the dad does everything and the kid just wants all the money and publicity. He will literally walk past people waiting at the door, ignore them, and tell his dad to service them because he’s the owner so that means he shouldn’t have to do the work and gets to tell people what to do. It would be a great shop if he applies himself. Bait shops can make 1-2k a week during the winter off of minnows alone for ice fishing.

other than that, we have The Fly Shack (fly fishing only) about 40min east, and Lakeside (now The Tackle Trap) about 50min west.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    The local boat shop has a great tackle department. He is pretty thick on price but the selection can't be beat. There is a BP real close but I try to use the locals. When in Florida it is always the local bait shops.

8. Member
    Still remember the worm bar at Table Rock tackle shop in Kimberling City. Man I'd buy one of everything back then
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I've been buying from the Shelton's for many years. Great people to deal with and they have a ton of inventory. You can't beat their prices! I usually make a run over there every couple of weeks.
    Have ordered from them in the past a few times. Always very fair prices and fast service. Locally we have a BPS/Cabelas and they suck. other than that not a lot of stuff close by. There is a Dicks close by but they dont carry squat, a couple small local shops that mostly carry bobbers and split shot.

10. Member
    The only somewhat local- and non-chain store here is Mike's Tackle World in Decatur, IL. It's got a ton of stuff and they are great folks!

A couple hours away and we have Presley's. Another good one!

11. Member
    Just bought some deep diver strike king cranks from Sheltons on Ebay few weeks ago.

One local 12 miles away that I have not been to. I think there is one still in business 25 miles from here. Didnt travel out there last year. He bought his parents store around 30 years ago and is located on the areas most popular fly fishing trout river.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 04-03-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    We have two good local shops although one is seasonal. The seasonal shop is on the lake so you can tie up at the dock and go shopping.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

We still have several really good local shops. Most of them carry all the basics plus a lot of harder to find stuff. They are pretty dialed in to what works.

We have Strike Zone, a lot of Salt stuff but have a good selection of Bass stuff.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

15. Member
    Really no good local ones here. The one place near-by. Usually doesn’t have what you’re looking for. BUT he can order it for you and it’ll be here by Tuesday(wasn’t there by Tuesday, twice)

16. Member
    We have a local shop here that’s one of the best tackle shops I’ve ever been in. Lord knows I spend way to much money there. They sell all the usual tackle, rods , reels and bait. They sell a lot of electronics and also provide installation. They are the best around. The Tackle Shack LLC. In Middlebury Indiana

17. Member
    I guess I'm a little spoiled. I can think of 5 really good local shops within 45 minutes of my house (2 of which are about 10 minutes away). I haven't ordered anything in a really long time with the exception of some stuff from American Legacy Fishing when I traded in some rods last year. Sure I pay a little more but these guys make it worth it. Nothing like being in a bind needing something, call the shop owner and he meets you there to get you set up.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

I live 30 minutes from Fisherman’s Central. Huge tackle store, 95% of which is bass tackle.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    We have two good local shops although one is seasonal. The seasonal shop is on the lake so you can tie up at the dock and go shopping.
    SML tackleshack and Captains Quarters I assume?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

20. Member
    Hit and miss over here around south Louisiana…. Saltwater fishing dominates around New Orleans so the local shops cater to that and have maybe a handful of bass stuff.. decent bass shop in Hammond area but the owner keeps pretty crazy hours, never know when he’s open and he’s cash only hiding from IRS, I suspect.. there’s another bass shop with good selection but he’s very out of my way and pricey, understandably tho being a 1 man operation.. as much as I want to support local, it’s just so much easier to order and have it delivered to my doorstep in 2-3 days..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast