Recommendations for a 4 bladed prop

I just purchased a 2019 RT198p with a Mercury 150 4 stroke. It currently has a Tempest 3 blade 23p prop with all the vent holes open. It has a 6 inch jackplate on it and gets on plane good with PTP at about 4 inches. The boat does not handle or steer well and it has been suggested to me to plug all the vent holes and if that doesn't work to install a 4 bladed prop. What has been everyone's experience and if you did replace the prop did it help and what prop did you use?? Thanks all!!

2. Member
    Plugging the vent holes won't affect your performance after getting on plane. I changed from a Tempest 24P to a Trophy 23P 4-blade on my RT188P with a Mercury 115 pro xs ct. One hint is that the Trophy is a smaller diameter and over-revs. I'll probably add cup or pitch. The Trophy does have better grip on turns and the hole shot is about the same.

3. Member
    I had trouble with stern lift with a 20" Laser. I went to a 19" Spitfire X7 and it has been spectacular. I would suggest your PTP is wrong if you're having handling and steering issues.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    I’m really liking my Croxton RAZOR 4XLR
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeintheshade View Post
    I’m really liking my Croxton RAZOR 4XLR
    I have one on my 200 right now and I like it too. Can't complain and a great price from Mark.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Your Merc 150 4S has a 4.75" exhaust tube. The Trophy and Spitfire are 4.25" exhaust tube props. You certainly can use them on your motor but they will aerate the blades a lot at holeshot and maybe breakover. May not be a problem or may not be optimal. Your 4S usually do not require open PVS vent holes running solid plugs is suggested. 4S has higher torque than comparable horsepower 2S motors and therefore usually do not need the extra air on the blades and holeshot to allow them to spin up. The 150 4S usually comes with a Tempest Plus prop. It will have higher steering effort when trimmed up on plane and at speed compared to a 4-blade prop just the nature of 3- and 4-blade props.

I run a Bravo 1 FS on my 2021 RT198p and it has lower steering effort compared to my Tempest Plus. It is one mph slower than the Tempest but has better grip, steering effort, mid-range punch, mileage. My regular (non-XS) 4S 150 will only run the Bravo at 3.5" prop-to-pad before running out of water pressure. If you have the XS version, it has lower water pickups and you likely can run it higher and get a little more speed potentially. The Bravo certainly has the diameter and grip to go higher.

I do wish there was a Trophy Plus with a 4.75" exhaust tube that would be interesting to test on out rigs.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons