fluorocarbon vs Braid for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits

I have seen where people say they use 30 lb Braid and others say 15-17 lb test Fluorocarbon. Don't use many, if any chatterbaits or spinnerbaits any heavier than 1/2 Oz. Up until maybe 3 mos ago, none of my rods have FC on them. They would have a FC leader if necessary tho. I now have FC on my Jerkbait rod, and have not had any problems with it, casting. What do you guys recommend?
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels
    Favorite saying "JUST 1 MORE".

I don't buy fluorocarbon anything, not even fluoro leader for saltwater. Imo it's the biggest scam in the fishing industry. P-line CXX crystal clear in 15 or 20 lb ,600 yard spools. Low stretch ,super strong and made in Japan. I've got it on everything except my rods with braid. Try 20 lb for your chatterbaits and spinner baits ,I guarantee you'll like.

3. Member
    I've got 1 rod spooled with mono (15#) and 1 with flouro (17#) and the rest with braid (65#). I use the mono and flouro when fishing open water and braid when fishing in or very near heavy cover.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

4. Member
    Just finished 4 week trip throughout Florida, my best bait was a spinner bait and it was on 15lb Fluro. I do use 30lb braid on my bladed jig and top water (17lb mono leader on the top water).

5. Member
    I use flouro. 17lb sunline. Really either way works it just comes down to personal preference. For me it’s not having to worry shut the braid biting into wood or wrapping up if the bait helicopters some.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

6. Scraps
    Only appropriate application I could see if fishing nothing but vegetation. Otherwise, the places those baits should be fished, around hard cover and targets, braid would be a problem.

Though recently saw where Bryan Schmitt fishing a chatterbait on braid in a heavily pressured area of vegetation with everybody else fishing FC made a difference. Apparently he noticed fishing with braid created such vibration that the pain on his blades was chipping off and wasn't on baits fished on FC.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    The jackhammer thumps harder with braid. In my experience the most important thing about throwing a chatterbait is the rod you use not the line. I throw mine on a Dobyns 735 glass. If it's really clear water where I thought FC would be the difference than I'm not throwing a Chatterbait or Spinnerbait in that situation anyway, I'm throwing something "quieter" and more realistic.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    I don't buy fluorocarbon anything, not even fluoro leader for saltwater. Imo it's the biggest scam in the fishing industry. P-line CXX crystal clear in 15 or 20 lb ,600 yard spools. Low stretch ,super strong and made in Japan. I've got it on everything except my rods with braid. Try 20 lb for your chatterbaits and spinner baits ,I guarantee you'll like.
    Gonna try this stuff, specs look good. Like the diameter size.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Gonna try this stuff, specs look good. Like the diameter size.
    Good stuff for sure. #15 if you're trying to get more action , 20# if it doesn't matter ,they make it in 17# also.

10. Scraps
    I hate buying line so I like those 600yd spools.

Nother reason I like mono for moving baits, cranks especially, You kin git a lot of baits unstuck using the bow-n-arrow trick.
    2017 Phoenix 819

I use thin diameter braid (Japan Braid) in 20# and a P-Line 10#leader and it works just fine for me. Just make sure that your leader knot is strong. I put a drop of super glue on the knot. No issues so far. I also use the Diawa Sen-Tokku knot tool, once you figure it out it ties a pretty small knot. BTW, Poppin Frog makes very good point pay mind to what he says.

Spanky