Neoprene Spinning rod sleeves- are they worth the extra?

I would guess that I carry more spinning rods than most, as I always have both crappie and bass rods in my locker. Switching to an Eyra this winter (from a Lynx) one downside was a little less rod storage. I removed the front tubes from the starboard rod locker where I keep them, and I always spin the line around the rods before stowing, but I'm still dealing with a lot of tangling between rods. I drug out some old mesh sleeves that I had stored away, but I just never liked them and seemed like tips would push through them at the wrong time and cause another tangle to deal with.

Saw there are a couple companies making neoprene rod sleeves (Incl Tackle Whse private label), and really don't see a downside, with exception they are about 2X in cost of the mesh. Just curious if they're worth it/better option than the mesh before I pull the trigger on some?

2. Member
    I switched over from mesh to neoprene, and I like the neoprene better. I was finding that trebble hooks from same and other rods were getting caught in the mesh, and if I had to dig to the bottom of the rod box to get a rod, could be a challenge to disentangle. There are probably more than a few ways to skin that cat, for me it was changing over to neoprene. Also rod eyes, particularly on casting rods, or the small ones at the end of the spinning rods, are better protected as they can no longer slip thru the mesh. I'm happy with the change.

I use them for spinning rods, regular type on casting rods. Like them for spinning more cushion for longer eyes.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Like everything else, there are going to be differences of opinions.

My opinion is they are a pain if you have rod tubes as they don’t slide in and out as well as the mesh style. They’re also a little harder to put on the rod.

I do believe they do offer more protection though. It just wasn’t worth it to me.

Great subject! I have also started fishing with spinning gear more, so this is good info.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    I took my tubes out - after bending a couple eyes I didn't want to have to worry about that. Much easier to get rods in and out regardless of what type sleeve you choose. I still use the butt rack - I have no idea if that's what that's called!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Like everything else, there are going to be differences of opinions.

My opinion is they are a pain if you have rod tubes as they don’t slide in and out as well as the mesh style. They’re also a little harder to put on the rod.

I do believe they do offer more protection though. It just wasn’t worth it to me.
    Totally agreed, I like being able to slide the rod tubes on quickly and neoprene ones almost always stick.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package