Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar

New to the Honda outboard

Repowering the Ranger with a Honda 200 hp. Not much traffic on this thread. Either there are no issues with these outboard motors or just not too many on BBC boats. Looking forward to many great yrs of service.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

2. Member
    I put a 250 on my ranger 620 this winter. Looking forward to running it if winter ever leaves! Maybe I’ll get to start breakin in April.

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Great engine for dependability, a little slower than the others. What year is your boat? They do better on the newer boats as they are built for the heavier engines.
    need to run a larger diameter prop on them.
    good luck and let us know how it’s going!!

4. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    My boat is a 2000 so it is an older boat.

Not to worried about going fast 619's are not a fast boat any way. I am currently running a Bravo prop on my Evinrude.

Talking with Mike the prop expert on BBC he's thinking I should pretty close with the Bravo. At least it will be a good place to start and with the price of props I sure hope so.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

5. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    In the break in process. I can't believe how quiet this motor is. At idle I can hear the pee stream over the motor running. At this point my Bravo prop is a good match. Although that could change after I am able to get her up to full rpm
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

6. Member
    What pitch Bravo? I put a Honda 19” on mine. I’ll be taking mine on long range multi night camping trips so I went holeshot and easy cruise on my prop selection. Might have some open lakes next week and I’ll be done enough with rigging.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    Repowering the Ranger with a Honda 200 hp. Not much traffic on this thread. Either there are no issues with these outboard motors or just not too many on BBC boats. Looking forward to many great yrs of service.
    Correct, not much traffic. I bought an 06 Ranger 620 with 225. Haven’t been on water yet. Interested in prop information as well.
    Rad Brewer

8. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    My Bravo is a 22 pitch. I have never had it worked so if needed, I will be able to change rpm by 200 either way
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

9. Member
    Debo

How was the Honda 19 pitch on the 620?
    Rad Brewer

10. Member
    "HONDA" look at the key and it starts and runs !! may not be the fastest but gets you from point A to point B

11. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    So far I am very impressed with the motor. Strong hole shot and lots of power thru out the throttle range. Almost 3 hours on it so still just short bursts of full throttle.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    As long as you can get it out of the hole your in good shape!! its going to be 5-7 MPH slower than all the other brands, but youll have no issues. change the oil and plugs and fish on!!

13. Member
    Will have a report by the end of the week. Running behind schedule here after no illnesses all winter and my daughter has just been crushed since late March and us as well.

14. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Very curious how the 19 pitch turns on your boat. I understand you have the 250 but I am thinking my 22 on my 200 could be a bit too much.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

15. Member
    Got the first bit of break in done last night. Got that painful first hour out of the way and got most of the way through the next part. Really impressed with holeshot. Full tank of gas and two adults and it shoots out of the hole. Able to hold plane without porpoising at 32-3400 rpm and low 20s speed. Mid range power was impressive to me.

No full speed testing yet and I was on a 40 mph speed limit lake. But it got to mid 40s effortlessly. I suspect with trim and runway I will be right at 50.

Next time I will try out my 19” HI5. Curious to see if the extra stern lift gets me more low speed planing control. I have zero interest in going over 50 so I won’t be trying any higher pitch props. But I do think I could spin a 21 with normal loads and have an ok holeshot.

Not sure when I’ll have an update…. Had a bearing failure on the 4 mile tow to the lake…. So I’ve gotta figure that out. Like to switch to grease style hubs. First bearing failure for me and it happened the 4th time I hooked this to the truck.

16. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I switched my trailer to a bearing buddy's several years ago.. I did not trust the cool hubs any longer. I had many years without issues with the cool hubs so I figured I was lucky. The bearing buddy switch was very easy.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

17. Member
    Got some more run time in finally after getting the hubs swapped out. Was on a lake with no speed limit so I could wind it up a bit more. Looks like 52.5 for top speed. Might have to look for a 21” prop someday for light load duty. Could easily spin it. Next time out I’ll try the 19” Hi5 that I have. Don’t need any holeshot help but if I could hold on plane at low speeds with a bit less trim that would be a nice gain.

Only problem is the lack of NMEA data from the engine showing up on my Helix 10. Only getting RPM and Trim%. Last time hours worked but not today. Really want fuel flow rate so I’ll have to do some internet sleuthing on that.

18. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    A update on my new 200 hp. I started out with a 22 pitch Bravo 1. It was to much prop for my setup only turning it to 5000 rpm. at 46 mph

I bought an 18 pitch Rubex L4 rpm has gone up to where it should be and speed is over 50 mph. I still don't have the recommend 10 hrs run time for break in, so no long runs at speed, but I am sure this 18 pitch is gonna work out well.

I may add the holeshot is good with both props as this motor has so much torque
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

19. Member
    Good!!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    A update on my new 200 hp. I started out with a 22 pitch Bravo 1. It was to much prop for my setup only turning it to 5000 rpm. at 46 mph

I bought an 18 pitch Rubex L4 rpm has gone up to where it should be and speed is over 50 mph. I still don't have the recommend 10 hrs run time for break in, so no long runs at speed, but I am sure this 18 pitch is gonna work out well.

I may add the holeshot is good with both props as this motor has so much torque
    Rad Brewer

20. Member
    Good news on the 4 blade! I may try to find a 19 4blade on mine. Not real impressed with the hi5. But not sold on the 3 blade yet.