Through hull ducer/ drain plug conflict

In a total bonehead move i epoxied in a through the hull transducer in a place that conflicts with the drain plug keepers when screwing in the drain plug. There were not really any clean spots to mount another transducer when switching from brands as the previous one was just a bit forward and in front of that are the bilge pumps. Side to side gets up off the lowest part of the bilge. The conflict is about the depth of the threads when trying to screw in the plug.

My two options are to remove the recently installed transducer and try to put it up on the raised parts of the bottom of the hull or cut the keepers off the plug. I am leaning towards cutting the keepers off the plug and just keeping the plug in except for draining with an extra plug in the boat/ truck. Anyone have any other suggestions to fix this self inflicted mess up?

Putting the transducer on the raised pad in the bilge is more likely to interfere with readings. You could try it first with a temporary adhesive like duct seal (works great for testing and permanent installs). The other thought would be you could install a flow rite remote drain plug which has a smaller footprint in the bilge than the stock plug.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

3. Member
    Do you think the flow rite is at least a half in shorter overall when in? Looks like it should be.

I believe so yes - I remember when I installed mine last year it was much smaller. Just need to make sure you don't have to make any wild 90 degree bends but I would think you would be OK. That remote bilge was one of the best things I ever did to my boat. Get the 6' length for mounting the switch in the transom area - FYI the 3" switch mounts perfectly in the 3" hole where Phoenix puts the charger plus.

5. Member
    sorry for the follow up questions, but then do you just keep the charger plug in the back compartment or run that somewhere else?

I just zip tied the plug to the top of a battery and put a piece of orange duct tape on the cord so it stands out - works great because I always vent the back when charging anyways