Thread: Air Care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air Care!

After reading some of these threads about health problems, joint replacement's etc. I recommend you check your policy or look into membership's for the Air Care provider in the area. We have a membership for the family after the wife dislocated her replacement hip at the lake house and had a air lift back to our home Hospital. This was several years back and the bill was $28,000 then.

2. Member
    We have it. We live solid hour drive from the major hospitals. About 5 months ago we had to stat flight my wife. For the little price we pay for it, we were sure glad we had it. I highly encourage you folks that live out in the rural areas to check into it. I think our is Med-vac, but not quote me on that name. I may be wrong. Big sticker of it on our front door for paramedics to see. You think I’d know as many times as I see it in a day. lol

3. Member
    Is a dislocated hip a critical injury? I would never had guessed that they would air lift someone with a bad hip unless there were other things going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Is a dislocated hip a critical injury? I would never had guessed that they would air lift someone with a bad hip unless there were other things going on.

It can be. A lot depends on age, physical condition, medical history etc.

5. Member
    If you are a member and in a rural setting and say the local hospital does not have a orthopedic available they will fly you for free. Our local hospital basically has no services. Air Evac Life Team has 2 helicopters stationed in our county and we fly on average of 5-10 out a day to larger hospitals in Nashville. By ground it’s roughly a 2 hour ambulance ride. If your a member it’s free. Well worth the 50 dollar membership fee

6. Member
    They had her at the Hospital in Albany Ky, think Dale and Cumberland area for several hours. They called around to all the local Doctors etc. after a X-ray and none would attempt it. They had never dealt with a artificial implant hip before. The doctors at St. E here at home in N.Ky just shook their heads that they would AirCare flight her back to the original hospital. She was back home in her chair before I got home from driving.

7. Member
    They called the helicopter out to my wreck last year I think largely because they evaluated how bad my truck was torn up. I was very lucky and only had cuts and bruises with the exception of my hip/pelvis fracture. The cut from the seatbelt is going to be my only long term reminder of the accident.

After they already had it enroute I asked to not be transported with them mainly because of the potential cost and insurance nightmaree. Plus by that point I knew I was not busted up that bad. The EMT from the helicopter crew ended up checking me out in the regular ambulance and talked to the ambulance crew and told everyone that they did not see her there. I have heard horror stories about insurance companies not wanting to pay for it so I did not want to have to go with them unless I really needed to.

I got no idea how much this coverage costs but if the premiums are not too bad and they actually pay out when they are needed it may in fact be something to look into.

8. Member
    Just for the info. this shows the coverage area and some pricing plans of a provider. https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/ai...e-area-pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    They called the helicopter out to my wreck last year I think largely because they evaluated how bad my truck was torn up. I was very lucky and only had cuts and bruises with the exception of my hip/pelvis fracture. The cut from the seatbelt is going to be my only long term reminder of the accident.

After they already had it enroute I asked to not be transported with them mainly because of the potential cost and insurance nightmaree. Plus by that point I knew I was not busted up that bad. The EMT from the helicopter crew ended up checking me out in the regular ambulance and talked to the ambulance crew and told everyone that they did not see her there. I have heard horror stories about insurance companies not wanting to pay for it so I did not want to have to go with them unless I really needed to.

I got no idea how much this coverage costs but if the premiums are not too bad and they actually pay out when they are needed it may in fact be something to look into.

That EMT was probably a RN or a paramedic.

10. Member
    ^^ Paramedics are technically EMT’s too and flight RN’s usually have to have their EMT at least in my area:-)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Just for the info. this shows the coverage area and some pricing plans of a provider. https://www.airmedcarenetwork.com/ai...e-area-pricing
    Thanks for posting they are in my area and the rates are very reasonable
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Thomas View Post
    ^^ Paramedics are technically EMT’s too and flight RN’s usually have to have their EMT at least in my area:-)

Do you guys have EMT basics on flight crews there? We do not. Usually it's a RN and a paramedic. Somestimes two RNs. Some flight nurses have paramedic certification as well but many do not. Wasnt trying to slight EMT basics in the least but usually here they would not be the ones making the decision in the scenario the gentleman I quoted.

My niece wrecked her bike a couple years ago and had a compound fracture in her leg. They were camping about an hour and a half or 2 hours from home. They life flighted her up to Children's hospital in St. Louis because they had no pediatric orthopedics in that area and they were afraid of some internal bleeding with the way her leg was broken. Thankfully insurance covered it because the bill was about $60,000

I volunteered for Airlink/Vitalink and those helicopters are outfitted that they can do almost any live saving procedure while in flight. Just awesome how they are prepared!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

15. Member
    I was just messing with ya Mark . It’s a paramedic and a RN here too but the RN has to have her basic EMT license as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Thomas View Post
    I was just messing with ya Mark . It’s a paramedic and a RN here too but the RN has to have her basic EMT license as well.

As much grief as I give I deserve it in return.........Are yall allowed to intubate as RNs there?

17. Member
    No RN’s can’t. Only Paramedics can

18. Member
    I guess I am guilty of using the term paramedic and EMT interchangeably. I never knew of the difference.

19. Member
    Transom , depending on what state your in has different levels and skills for EMTs and Paramedics . The skills they are allowed to do very greatly. For instance here in Tennessee we are taught and trained on more advanced skills than Kentucky. The EMS levels are EMT-Basic, EMT INTERMEDIATE,EMT ADVANCED, Paramedic, then Critical Care Paramedic. However in Tennessee our Advanced EMT’s are pretty equivalent of a Kentucky Paramedic . Like I said levels of training very greatly from state to state

20. Member
    I went to a luncheon this week where the speaker was attempting to get us to sign up for MASA-Medical Transport Services. The cost was $4960 for a lifetime membership which supposedly paid for an ambulance/helicopter plus other services. Just curious as to whether anyone on here has this or is familiar with their services. I told them I would think about it. Their home base is in Plantation, FL. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast