Safety cables or chains

Which is better and why? Presently have coil cable but they are hard to work with when hooking or unhooking trailer, considering replacing with chains.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

2. Member
    My cables rusted without any sign. They came apart hooking up. I now have ugly chain hanging there and will never go back to cable.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    My cables rusted without any sign. They came apart hooking up. I now have ugly chain hanging there and will never go back to cable.
    EXACTLY what he said. Cables can rust in half and not have a sign under the vinyl covering. Chains also have that cute sound when you forget to hook them up.

4. Member
    I’ve owned my boat for almost 3 years. I’ve had one of my coiled cables come off while towing twice in that short period of time. I believe I’ll be switching to chains sometime this year.

5. Member
    Is there any special grade or size of chain for this. One of my cables is starting to rust as well? Does boat size/weight matter? I have a 2008 Ranger 619 VS boat if that matters.

6. Member
    I have been towing trailers for over 50 years and never ever needed a set of chains or cables. With that being said chains are the way to go as was stated cables will rust away in the covering. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Member
    My thinking use chains, If for some reason that one comes loose and drags on the road. We all seen that going down the highway. If it wears through, with a chain you can use a bolt to secure the broken chain halves, what would you do with a cable???

I switched to chains from cable.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    When the cables get rusted........it will be chain.