Thread: DICK‘S

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    No dog in this discussion, but they are not going anywhere soon....balance sheet is strong, income is strong and they are growing revenue year over year.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    No dog in this discussion, but they are not going anywhere soon....balance sheet is strong, income is strong and they are growing revenue year over year.
    Not with my money they aren't but really don't care one way or the other as I don't shop there.

3. Member
    Their new slogan....

Dicks...Where the Balls Hang Out
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    I used to call on Dick's corporate headquarters. They were all set to expand their Field & Stream stores to go full-force against Academy, Bass Pro, Gander, etc. but a couple of the mass shooting incidents completely changed their corporate philosophies. They got "woke" and decided that selling socks and jocks was a lot easier and more profitable than fishing & hunting. They will be completely out of that business within the next few years. Their founder, Richard Stack, would be turning over in his grave.

5. Member
    Dicks is EXACTLY like all retail stores these days. They track every item they sell in every store and localize it to the buyers. Grocery stores do the same. My local Dicks Sporting Goods used to have all the high end rods, lures, ect, you would ever want. Then they suddenly switched to only carrying the higher volume Yamamoto, Strike King, cheaper rods, and downsized the fishing equipment. They have a state of the art Golf Fitting center, lots of gear for all the local kids sports, shoes, uniforms, bats, balls, gloves, etc. Localized to the data that says this is what the people who come in the store want. The local Harris Teeters, Whole Foods, and Wegmans are all different. In the heavy Indian population zones, they cater to lots of Indian spices, fresh veg's etc. The chains that maximize sales at each and every store wins. Bass Pro does the same thing. Compare a BPS or Cabelas inland near major bass fishing lakes and the gear they carry to the say Bass Pro in Toronto. There you will find tons of Walley, Musky and Pike lures and heavy clothing and Canada style boats (multi-species). It is what small mom and pop stores used to do, gap fill the big chains. Now, the big chains use tons of technology to localize each and every store. Wouldn't you? I am in the Software business and we supply to many of the major retailers. This is what they are focused on. They have websites that show products from ALL their stores and they have software that manages inventory globally so they know what they have where, and can offer you anything from any store. All the retailers are doing this and more to maximize their returns on their inventory management (think cash flow). Simple actually.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Ours got rid of fishing gear like two years ago. My brother was a regional VP and left them. They won’t be around much longer. I would love to see Academy move north as well.
    3.6 B last quarter and cash heavy. Buyout maybe but they aren't going anywhere.
    Please release me,let me go.

7. Banned
    Dicks sporting goods

Dicks = Clothing Store

8. Member
    Their name fits them!!!!!!!!!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Their stores here are Golf meccas. They sell sports clothes, and sports You are right uniforms also. Everything from a to z for golfers also. They are always busy here in the spring and summer.
    You are right. I have one 3-4 miles away. 4-5 years ago, had a decent hunting/fishing department. Went in one day to see if they had ammo on sale, hunting dept. was gone. Fishing dept. 1/4 the size it was. One Year later fishing dept. gone.

10. Member
    Dicks will never get a thin drop from me after they went against hunters

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Dick's Sporting Goods stock price is at an all time high with a market capitalization of $11.83 billion dollars and an EPS of 10.70 so they seem to be doing exceptionally well by focusing on what they think they do best. Believe it or not, the sporting goods world does not revolve around how many guns you sell nor how much fishing gear you sell. Since 2020 their stock valuation has been on a positive tear.
    Whether anyone wants to believe it or not there stock and profits have gone up since getting rid of their "Lodge Departments". That being said I worked there for 4 years and ran the lodge department while I was in college and they do suck in every way possible other than price point. They treat their employees like crap and let you know in their own way cooperate greed and expansion is their only goal. They have succeded in that department.

Hunting and fishing is a very small part of their revenue and has the smallest profit margin of any area in the store. The majority of stores haven't carried high quality items since they bought out Galyan's and became a public trading company. Once they went for strictly cheap price point merchandice with high margins the enthusiast and conservationist type quit shopping there and they lost all their loyal customers. It became mostly those brand new into fishing or someone that wants the cheapest thing money can buy. There firearm clientele became mostly guys that looked like bunker dwellers the ripped the shoes off their kids feet to pawn them and traded in all their Natural Lite cans to go buy a new Mossberg. That or send in their girlfriend to go buy a gun and try to commit a straw sale since they can't legally own a firearm themselves.

I'll still shop there when they do 50% clearance fishing lures cause you can't beat the price and all of that stuff is in the negative for margins.
    Last edited by Craigjc00; 03-31-2023 at 01:28 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    Whether anyone wants to believe it or not there stock and profits have gone up since getting rid of their "Lodge Departments". That being said I worked there for 4 years and ran the lodge department while I was in college and they do suck in every way possible other than price point. They treat their employees like crap and let you know in their own way cooperate greed and expansion is their only goal. They have succeded in that department.

Hunting and fishing is a very small part of their revenue and has the smallest profit margin of any area in the store. The majority of stores haven't carried high quality items since they bought out Galyan's and became a public trading company. Once they went for strictly cheap price point merchandice with high margins the enthusiast and conservationist type quit shopping there and they lost all their loyal customers. It became mostly those brand new into fishing or someone that wants the cheapest thing money can buy. There firearm clientele became mostly guys that looked like bunker dwellers the ripped the shoes off their kids feet to pawn them and traded in all their Natural Lite cans to go buy a new Mossberg. That or send in their girlfriend to go buy a gun and try to commit a straw sale since they can't legally own a firearm themselves.

I'll still shop there when they do 50% clearance fishing lures cause you can't beat the price and all of that stuff is in the negative for margins.

I totally agree with you. I was the "backwall" manager (fishing/camping) at the first store they opened outside of New York state....Erie, Pa. I could tell you horror stories about that bunch. Advertised sales with no advertised merchandise, pissed off customers to deal with because of it wasn't even the whole tip of the iceberg. Store managers who drank so much of their Kool-aid that you couldn't have a discussion. Only worked there for a year before leaving.

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by drainplug View Post
    There is a Dick‘s Warehouse near me, overstocks etc, had some limited fishing stuff. Employee there said that over next several months Dicks will now be getting out of fishing gear sales too?Just posting for info purposes, not „ I haven’t bought from them since…“ I can’t fault a company for their bottom line business model, but geez, now fishing; I wish Academy would move north…
    If that's the Langhorne store that's what I heard from one of the guys there. Sucks cuzz that store has so much more good stuff compared to the other two Dick's I go to. He said the fishing stock there would be moved to other stores, mentioned Burlington being pone of them.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    Dicks sporting goods

Dicks = Clothing Store
    The new Sports Authority

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    Dick's has the best fishing department in my town of 75K people-I think we are an outlier and they told me their fishing department does very well. It's an hour drive to Olathe or Independence for BassPro/Cabelas.
    same here I was told our store in North Jersey is the most profitable one in terms of selling fishing gear of any around our area. Does anyone know if they will all be shut down at some point? If so, that’s a damn shame because most all the mom and Pop tackle shops have all closed.

16. Member

17. Member
    Dick's where I live closed out fishing 3-4 years ago. Same with Gander Mountain.....just an RV Store. Academy is the only show in town.

Their stores here in Indiana seem to vary. The ones near a Bass Pro or Cabela's have done away with their fishing departments. The store closest to me still has fishing goods, but every year it seems a little smaller than the previous year. A self fulfilling prophecy. Don't sell enough tackle, so you allocate less store space. Allocating less space causes fewer customers buying tackle. It's kinda sad considering Dick's was originally a tackle shop.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndsman View Post
    Dicks will never get a thin drop from me after they went against hunters
    There profits went way up when they dropped weapons.
    Please release me,let me go.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    Their stores here in Indiana seem to vary. The ones near a Bass Pro or Cabela's have done away with their fishing departments. The store closest to me still has fishing goods, but every year it seems a little smaller than the previous year. A self fulfilling prophecy. Don't sell enough tackle, so you allocate less store space. Allocating less space causes fewer customers buying tackle. It's kinda sad considering Dick's was originally a tackle shop.
    Their Bloomington store has a decent fishing department but it is only 10 minutes from Monroe. I've bought quite a bit of stuff in that store, they have awesome buy one get one sales pretty often.
    It's funny that so many guys here call them clothing stores considering they sell tons of baseballs, softballs, basketballs, bikes, fitness equipment of all kinds etc. I'll still shop there when I'm near one but unlike most in here I like Wal mart, cracker barrel, bass pro and waffle house too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast