Ionic Lithium & Power Pole Charge

I'm getting mixed advice on adding a Power Pole Charge to my setup. I've been told by Lithium Hub that the Power Pole Charge will not work with Ionic batteries, they said they have tried working with Power Pole to rectify the problem but they only made it worse. I have also talked to other guys that run Ionic batteries & the Charge with no known issues. I'm running my electronics with two 125ah Ionics run in parallel & 2 100ah Ionics run in a series to make a 24v system for my trolling motor. Can anyone tell me if the Charge will work correctly or not? Very confused.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    this issue that occurs usually depends on how that they are used as in how much run time on the water charging vs ac power charging, also software version, and the problem that normally occurs is normally only with 3 12v batteries in series where the center battery does not get charged
    usually never does happen with 24v and not with larger batteries
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    this issue that occurs usually depends on how that they are used as in how much run time on the water charging vs ac power charging, also software version, and the problem that normally occurs is normally only with 3 12v batteries in series where the center battery does not get charged
    usually never does happen with 24v and not with larger batteries
    So you are saying it’s happening more on the 50ah vs 100ah setups?

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Member
    I have been dealing with Charge issues for over 2 years now with my ionic batteries. I had an early Charge unit and it did not work well at all, both on a 24v setup and a 36 volt setup. In both cases the second battery (last in the 24, middle on the 36) works slowly drain over time when plugged in to AC power.

I sent it in to PP at the end of 2021 and they sent me a new one. It was better but still did the same thing.

In early 2022 they released the 2.05 firmware update and it made a big difference but still would get the middle battery out of sync with the rest and would not level it out properly. So I would say for me it was still not fixed.

I actually stopped using it half way through the season last summer when I found a MK460PCL for a steal. I recently put the PP Charge back in and upgraded it to 2.08 and it seems to be working. Charged everything back up to 100% fine and has been holding there for a week now (batteries were all around 65% when i parked it for the winter).

Time will tell after I get the boat back in the water as used regularly, which at the rate our spring is going will be late mid may lol!

The PP Charge has always worked great on the water. It has just had issues when plugged in to AC power

The problem has not been solely with Ionic batteries. Other brands have had the same issue. It seems the 2.08 update has fixed it for most everyone though. When I get a chance to really use the boat and Charge, if and when the ice ever melts I will report back.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    No the problem is with (3) 12 volts in series. As Andy stated the middle battery becomes unbalanced, its not just with Ionics we have seen it with other brands as well. Seems to be worse on the prismatic celled batteries however for whatever reason but has done it with cylindrical as well. If using single 36 volt, duel 36 volt in parallel, single 24 volt or duel 24 volt in parallel as well as (2) 12 volt in series it doesnt seem to be a issue. the newest firware update has seemed to help with most battery brands, but some still have the unbalanced middle battery issue.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    So you are saying it’s happening more on the 50ah vs 100ah setups?
    yes because most of the time a 100ah may recover on its on before going into sleep mode like a 50ah, usually people on larger lakes or rivers with more run time seem to have less issues because the DC charging keeps the battery up but if they are really low on ac power it will need to be plugged in a few days before they ever balance ,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    After adding the power button to the app Power Pole Recommended keeping a small 5 to 10amp portable charger to top off the batteries, our guys fishing MLF carry a 20amp to use on the center battery when they are fishing a tournament, been doing that for a few years but before they had to disconnect the PP charge, was glad PP approved doing that using the off in the app
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    Had issues early on, but when the on/off button was applied to the app, no issues initially but went out earlier this year to use it the first time following winter and my batteries were drained (charge was not plugged in and it was turned off in the app before winter). had to use a smaller charger on all 3 (1 ionic 125ah cranking, and 2 amped outdoor lithiums for trolling motor). called pp tech and he told me for now on to just leave the charger plugged in 24/7. since doing that, i haven't had any issues.

9. Member
    I have 3 Ionic 100amp with the PP Charge, upgraded through my dealer when I bought my boat last year. The Charge would actually drain one battery while plugged in. As others said, worked as it should while on the water. I was on the phone with PP several times and got nowhere. I now have an Ionic Charger and a $2k paper weight. I have had great customer service with PP regarding Blades but the Charge has been terrible. I asked if I could return it and was told no. They said I would have no problem selling it for almost new cost. Tried that and can’t even get a make offer.

Ah heck....if you plug the $5500 PP trollong motor into the PP charge it might work better

11. Member
    Forget it. Ill stick to just plugin in when I get done for the day. Has worked for over 25yrs. K.I.S.S.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I was having issues with my middle 100ah Ionic not charging with the PP charge so I returned it and went with the MK-550, zero issues since.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Anyone having issues using AGM batteries?

What is the best battery set up for the PP Charge?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

https://www.google.com/search?q=reco...qtsPivmwqAU_37

Interesting and worth a watch...................
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo