#FRB

Curious question-regular 4-stroke vs pro xs 4-stroke

Sorry, don't have serial numbers for this general question. Let's assume all motors are brand new in the crate just delivered from Mercury. What's the difference between the regular 115 and 150 4-stroke and the pro xs model of the same hp? Just a hotter tune to give some bonus hp for that extra 1-2mph or what? Upgraded internals to hold up better being run near or at the limiter for extended amounts of time? I think I noticed a slightly different gearcase ratio. Would one be more reliable than the other over time?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Member
    I think the only difference between the regular 150 and Pro xs 150 is the lower gear ratio.

Basically the pro-xs lineup of engines are designed for higher performance, regardless of horsepower or family. They are designed for better overall performance, speed included.

There are some slight component differences between the pro xs and standard in addition to some tuning to get the extra RPMs and a little more HP. I can't say with 100% certainty, but I heard that the pro xs are +10% of the rated hp and the standard are at the rated HP.

The gearcase on the 150 vs pro xs 150 are certainly different besides the gear ratio. The 150 pro xs gearcase is a derivative of the verado style gearcases so it is a little bigger.

I understand the regular 150's can be 1-3 mph faster than the ProXS models on the same boat. However, supposedly, the Proxs's have better hole shots, mid-range acceleration, higher rpm's allow more prop choices, and slightly better fuel economy. As to reliability, mine has been flawless and I haven't noticed any posts here concerning engine problems.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I think the only difference between the regular 150 and Pro xs 150 is the lower gear ratio.
    Not quite. Far too many engines and variables to make blanket comment, but in some cases (such as the 200) they're an entirely different displacement.

Some of the ProXS models also have different mount configurations/composition, as well as higher RPM range.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor